1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Tie Marker Nails?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Mountain Man, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Does anyone know anything about "tie marker nails", which come with numbers stamped onto the heads such as 44, 46, etc?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I believe the numbers indicate the year the ties were installed - (19)44, (19)46 in your examples.

They're not used anymore, but I am unsure of how they determine when to replace ties - visual inspection? scan?

Andrew
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

They are called "Date nails" really a lot of informatiion can be found here:
    Date Nail Info
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

My son-in-law works the track gang for MRL and occasionally finds date nails in old ties out here in MT. A couple of weeks ago I attended a model railroad show and someone had a big display of date nails.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Thanks for the info!
  6. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

I'm glad you asked that question. I've seen them at flea markets and wasn't sure what they were about.
    Ralph