Tie count

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I'm in no way interested in hand laying track at this stage in my modeling, but I don't mind snapping out extra ties in flex track and manufactured turnouts. Would removing every-other tie render a more realistic look or is that a waste of time? Has anyone done this? What are your results? Got pictures?

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Before I got too involved in On30, I took the easy way out. I slipped about 1/3 of the ties off HO Micro Engineering flex track. At that time I just used plain jane HO switches and figured I'd bury them in dirt to hide the ties. Next time I'm rooting around in my boxes of old projects, I'll see if any of that track is still intact and shoot a couple of shots for you. :D RMC in the early 70's had some nice articles on modeling in On2 1/2 (On30).

Cheers,
Greg

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Are you planning to use HO track or On30 track? Micro Engineering flex track and Peco On30 track have more prototypical tie spacing when they come from the factory. Also the ties are longer and larger than HO.

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
for what it is worth, I think that regular HO track with at least 1/3 or 1/2 of the ties stripped out looks better than the Peco On30 track. I have done both and still favor the stripped out HO.

my $.02

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
jcoop: I can agree with you on the PECO track. Their ties are much too wide for US prototype. Micro Engineering is much better scalewise. I still don't like the short ties that you end up with by using HO flex track. Of course, here we go again with the cost factor. HO track is much cheaper than On30.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Removing 1/2 (every other tie) of Atlas code 100 flex seems like the most cost / time / effort effective route. But I may look into some On30 before I spend hundreds of dollars on any track.

Has anyone removed ties from turnouts? I'm quite sure it's more difficult, but surely it's possible and doesn't damage the turnout.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I think replacing the ties is more than I'm interested in at this time :) I'll just be removing as many unnecessary ties as I can.