tie color

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by twilight, Feb 7, 2004.

1. twilight

twilight Member

What color do you guys use for railroad ties? Do you use stain or shoe polish or something else? Let's hear some ideas, please!:wave:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I use darker shades of brown latex paint ;)
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I just wrote about this on the "using glue to hand lay" thread. Check it out.
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Personnally i like silk ties best. Something in a dark blue with little C&IM logos all over it would be nice, not too wide, maybe 1 to 1 1/2-inches. Left hand knot, and NEVER, EVER, stick anything like a pin into a silk tie. Clasps or chains only.

Hope that helps.

5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Gotta try latex! :D :D :D
  6. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

FLEX ties??:D :D
  7. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I've just given the track a light spray on testors Model Master light earth, it gives the black ties a slight brown tint and gives the track itself a little bit of a rust color on the sides.
  8. fifer

fifer Active Member

I spray the rail Polly Scale Rust and then spray straight down with Grimmy Black and then go over the ties with a dry brush of medium gray cheap hobby acrylics. This is on Peco Cd 55 N Scale. on HO Campbell ties I used India ink and alcohol at different lenght of time soaks, after that I added in some of the same ties only Campbells black pre stained.
    Possibly Red and Black with a curl at the end Dillbert ????? LOL

:) :thumb: