Thursday 10-19

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
In continuation of yesterday's question.................

If you wanted to sell or give away anything from your layout, what would you get rid of?????

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I've managed to stay pretty focussed in what I acquire, so there's not a lot of "extras". I have a few building kits that I may part with, if they can't be worked into the overall plan. A few bits of rolling stock maybe.

My wife would like me to part with my growing collection of back issues of MR, RMC, etc, etc... sign1

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
That's probably one of the most difficult questions to ask a collector or hobbiest. I have some rolling stock I will never run or even display on my layout, like a 90' boxcar and a few 80' passenger car sets. There's definately an overabundence of Bachmann F7's in my inventory that I'd let go of about a half-dozen of at the right price. I've got a few extra LL geeps still in the box and a bunch of kits I got just for the parts, all of these were bought from Model Expo when they were getting out of the model RR business a few years ago. These are all things I could part with under the right circumstances.

CCT70

I just got rid of some Athearn cars that don't fit my time era by selling them to other members and still trying to get rid of 2 5 car Impack sets on Ebay.

I could also do well to part with the cat hair on part of the hill where Rusty likes to layout. I guess he thinks he's getting a tan.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
MasonJar said:
I've managed to stay pretty focussed in what I acquire, so there's not a lot of "extras". I have a few building kits that I may part with, if they can't be worked into the overall plan. A few bits of rolling stock maybe.

My wife would like me to part with my growing collection of back issues of MR, RMC, etc, etc... sign1

Andrew
sign1 sign1 sign1 yeah - yo ever notice how some family or friends wouldn't mind if you parted with important stuff like that????

I actually already parted with a bunch of rolling stock.. I donated a few items to 77railer's school :) :)

LoudMusic

Do any of you give model train related things as gifts to other model train friends? Or is it pretty common that train people buy their own train stuff?

If I was a good scratch builder / painter I'd probably make custom rolling stock as gifts for my friends' layouts. Is that goofy, or something you guys think people would enjoy?

Im the only guy that I know of, in this small town that does N scale. So no, I dont ever buy anything for anyone, hobby related anyways.

I've got 8-10 locos to move out, but I don't know the designations of diesels. All I know, is, they are diesels. I think even a steamer or 2. I have some rolling stock I picked up some years back from a widow. They are most all wood, and I don't know if they are kit or scratch built. I can't paint worth a flip, so I'm not taking a chance on ruining them.They are beautifully done. A couple have been started to be painted by someone else and EGADS!!!!

I also have 2 British train sets, 1 freight and 1 passenget. Both locos have pantographs. I could part easily with any, or all, but I'm VERY sticky about who to. It must be someone I know wants and cares for them......otherwise they don't have enough $$$, if you get what I mean.

Otherwise I give to kids that want to start MRRing.

Lynn

shaygetz

I'm really quite happy with all mine as they represent years in the hobby as a tinkerer. Even a Tyco "Spirit of '76" Alco has an honored place in my wall of fame. Now that I think about it, I do have a ragin' box full of horn hook couplers and Tyco wheelsets I'd be willin' to part with if anybody's interested.:rolleyes: :D

Like shaygetz, I have a box full of horn hook couplers that I would give away. For the most part I am happy with all of my purchases over the years. I do have about 200 50's-60's era freightcars and engines that I no longer use since I advanced my era, but I'm holding on to them for now since I may try the "dual era" thing after I retire. I would hate to part with them since they're all extensively weathered.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I wouldn't give anything away that I have.
But!!!!!!!.........
If someone wants to give away a Kato SD80MAC(Ho scale and undec of course), I'll gladly take it off your hands............

Pooh Bah
NO, NO, NO! IT'S MINE, I TELL YOU, MINE!

(I did sell some old Tri-Ang grey track and wheels this year.)

Ray Marinaccio

I would gladly give an item that I have more of than I need to someone that needs or would appreciate it.
I like the custom rolling stock as gifts idea.
I actually received a custom car from a Gauge member.
It's one of my most treasured pieces of rolling stock.

railohio

I just did this a few weeks ago! I gave a way a Life-Like F40, four old Bachmann Amfleet coaches, an old Bachmann Plymouth switcher, about a half-dozen Atlas turnouts, and some assorted freight cars that didn't fit my era. I sent them to a friend in North Carolina who was going to pick what he wanted and send the rest to his nTrak club.

shaygetz

santafewillie said:
Like shaygetz, I have a box full of horn hook couplers that I would give away.

Who said anything about giving?:D There's a rare mint in the package set of Shinohara horn hooks circa 1959 in there that are worth tens of cents at least.

Jim Krause

I'll put this comment in the past tense. I got rid of all of my diesel stuff several years ago in order to concentrate on logging models.
What I would like to get rid of, but can't, are all of the light weight, plastic toy train cars on our club layout.