Thumb gets butchered. Film at 11.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I would like to take this time to remind the experienced and the inexperienced modelers, SAFETY FIRST!
We use small tool's for cutting, trimming, bending, drilling, etc., to create most of our models which requires the use of small sharp tools. These are dangerous at all time's even when used properly. I sliced my thumb open all the way to the bone and threw the finger nail cutting some plastic from a McKean center beam flat car with a #11 Xacto knife. The good news is that this hasn't been the first time. For my past knowledge of homemade stitches, that saved me the 10 hour wait at the hospital. Therefore I won't be building/working on anything for the next couple weeks. Watch those tiny drill bits. They can stick you in the hand before you even know it. Just because the trains are smaller and you think their safe. Think again. SAFETY FIRST!

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Ouch!!!!!!!... not the first time you say,thought you would have learned that lesson the first time around.... hope your thumb heels soon, and you can get back to modleing....steve

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That's a first class owie. While you're warning folks, add to that the use of power tools. I was very tired one night but insisted on cutting some plastic with my radial arm saw anyway. Bad decision as the piece kicked back, flew into the air and split my thumb from the front through the bone and to the nail. It still bothers me 20 years later as will most sever wounds after they heal.:curse: The fact is that I was not "inexperienced" at using the tool, I just got careless.:sleeping::sleeping:

The point is, stay away from tools, manual or power if you're not up to the task of being cautious. You and I both know the consequences.:eek::eek:

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I have a...

...nice scar in my thigh from the same- #11. Jumped the steel straightedge- plunged into said thigh. Best part- it was in the office when I was a display designer. One girl fainted from the stream of blood down muh white pants I was wearing that day. :eek: Another followed me into the Men's Room as I dropped my pants to stem the flow! :eek:ops: I have a nice memory of that encounter. :eek:

Please be careful when and where you do this! I prefer my described situation rather than KCS's. :D

Mark (a guy with a scar on his thigh and a memory :eek: )

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
:thumb: Here's an extra one for ya..
Had an X-acto knife roll off the work bench, and end point first in the top of my foot, handle was sticking straight up. Not as bad as yours KCS, but now I can laugh about mine.

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
And it can happen so quickly! I was sitting in the cockpit of my sailboat stripping the insulation off the end of a new battery cable with a razor knife. A love bug flew up my nose. I snorted and shook my head to get rid of the bug. In the process, I raked the razor knife across the top of my leg leaving a 4 inch long, quarter inch deep gash in my leg. I held pressure on it till it quit bleeding. Grease makes a good coagulant, and went back to work. A nurse friend came by the boat alittle later and freaked when she saw the cut. She wanted to run me staight to the hospital for stitches. Later that evening, I butterflied it and had a good stiff shot of squeez'ns with just a dab for the cut. Healed up fine with very little scar.
I've never had an infection from any cut that got dosed with diesel, gas, lube oil or grease. I don't think any germ can live in it! lol