Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by 46rob, Aug 20, 2007.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

I've been back at my favorite subject again--Cold War era jets. Here's my latest: Still has a long way to go--but at least at this point it's recognizable. Had a lot of fun doing the stores. Most likely--going to be a FG offering sometime in the future.

Attached Files:

2. sergiotang95

sergiotang95 Member

I building jets, too! Nice work!
  3. Chas

Chas New Member

Very cool Rob!

I've always liked the lines of this bird and with done up in camo it just looked mean, lean and green... :)
  4. David H

David H Member

Rob, do I spy a Shrike missile? Is that a Wild Weasel version...? Oh so cool!

So why did the Thud have a built-in Vulcan Cannon and an F4 did not?

5. 46rob

46rob Member

IN the late fifites, the design philosophy for fighters was that the gun was obsolete, and that future combat between planes would be a missile duel. That premise proved to bequite wrong inn the ensuing years of conflict in SEA.

The Thud was designed from the ground up as a fighter/bomber...never was intended to be an interceptor, while the Phantom was designed to be an interceptor for fleet protection...the Navy being desirous of a stand-off missile platform. When the USAF aquired Phantoms, the later versions did have an M161-A1 cannon mounted under the nose, as part of it's fighter/bomber armament suite.

The missiles on my model are the later Standard AGM -78 ARM's. Just looked better than the AGM-45 Shrike, which preceeded it--in my mind.
  6. David H

David H Member

Thanks Rob.

What little "air mindedness I" had seems to have left me over the years. I guess I am of a generation who perceived the F4 as a fighter bomber rather than a cutting edge long range Feet protector.

F14s and 15s were the new hot ships when I was a kid.

Agree about the missile. Brave men.

7. Alcides

Alcides Member

Very nice !!! Looking forward for more :thumb:
  8. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Wow! Great Work!!!! Congratulations!!!!
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Rob, any news or updates on this one?

Scott K.
  10. Loon

Loon New Member

I actually got to see a thud at an airshow back in the early 80's. Talking to pilots who actually flew this bird gave some insight to its abillities. Typical republic aircraft, fast, heavy (very heavy for a single engine), and tough. The pilots I talked to claim nothing is faster at low altitude. The thud had such a high wing loading that it just blew right through low altitude turbulence and gusts, not so the Mig 17's, 19's, and 21's trying to chase them. One man said he won his first air race over North Vietnam, with a mig on his six, he dropped the nose, lit the burner, and left the mig in his wake by a large margin.
    Good looking model so far,
    Remember a thud can kill you in three ways,
    It can strafe you, it can bomb you, or it can fall on you.
  11. David H

David H Member

I think the Blackburn Buccaneer driver's might disagree with that speed at low level claim...

(Living in Yorkshire I have to say that!)

12. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

not sure if you are refering here to the 105 but it did have a 20mm gun.
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Outstanding work in this new design, usual!:mrgreen:

I look forward to seeing further progress on this new project. Will you be considering a little more 3D treatment on the wheels for the final design?

Thanks for the sneak peek!

14. willygoat

willygoat Member

I've been waiting for this since you leaked it on your FG user pic. I'll be the first to buy it!!!!!!!:mrgreen:
  15. bclemens

bclemens Member

I love the Thud!
    It's been said that if someone could build a runway all the way around the world, Republic could build an airplane that would use every inch of it to take off! The Thunderchief is probably the closest embodiment of that legend.
    I hope this model is able and ready.
  16. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

OMG!!! I've always wanted a Thud!!!

Thanks sir!!! bounce7
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Fastest A/C at low level

Heresy on both your and Loon's part. Nothing was or is faster at low level than a F-104.

900+ Knots IAS as set by the Red Baron during the 70s flying a Starfighter put together from bits and pieces from the boneyards.

18. Loon

Loon New Member

I remember that F 104,
    Unofficial low altitude speed record, 1011 mph
    Unofficial due to the timing radar problems, too bad he had to bail out on another flight (you don't belly land a 104).
    They limited him to 400 ft in the turn arounds to keep him from diving in to increase his speed.
    The f-104 also had a high wing loading, but not as high as the thud's. They both also had small radar signatures head on. The 105 had a radar reflector attached to the nose gear.
    I'll have to give ya this one, the 104 is the fastest at low alt, even parked it looks like its going 500 mph.
    The Tornado IDS is cleared for low level flight over 900 mph. What a ride.
  19. David H

David H Member

Now I experience Tornados doing a c. 500kts dash on a daily basis as the try to remove the roof tiles from the neighbouring post office by the power of noise alone! Or should that be the power of displased atmosphere.

The Harriers, F15s and Euro-fighters also try in their own noisy way.

I was referring to the Buccaneers much quoted ability to go down low and stay there, sortie, after sortie after sortie. An ability conferred by its cast steel(!) structure and robust, if not 19th century naval construction.

A record setting dash in an F104 is not the same in terms of the stresses on an airframe (but is on the pilot!). It is a brave and very exciting thing to do!

In theory later like aircraft F104Gs, F111s TSR2 and no doubt SU24s could all do the same job but the Buccaneer, with its ugly duckling, slightly odd bulbous profile had a special reputation and was held in special regard for it. But give the F105s their full credit, they spent a lot longer in a shooting war.

20. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Watched a program recently on private warbirds. The owner of a Buccaneer said it was worth it alone for a selector switch in the cockpit that you could select 'nuclear' on!