Three new heavyweight flatcars ready for the paint shop

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by tomd81, May 8, 2005.

1. tomd81

tomd81 New Member

I have just about completed three new flat cars. The first two started out as Athearn Heavy Weight Flat cars. They need a little filler and brake stands (on order) before heading to the paint shop.

The first one is an 40 foot, 8 alxe heavy weight flat, the second is a 8 axle, 20 foot well hole flat. They will be painted for one of my shippers on my future flat. Still trying to decide which color scheme to use: TTX yellow, or LNAL red. I need to get going on the decals too.

The third is a 12 axle Easter Car Work F-38 flat, straight out of the box. This may be the WORST kits that I have built. It will be painted and lettered for the PRR. I have a second one of these kits, which will be done with the short deck and painted and lettered for the Southern. It will be a while before I tackle it.

Many more flats to come!

Still putting the finishing touches on my Concept Models schnabel car.
    Today, I ordered a second schnabel kit. Now I will be able to ship all of the components (transformers, generators, reactors, and steam generators) to the new nuclear power plant.

Now, I need to learn how to use my air brush!

Guess that I need to start working on some loads too!

Visit my schnabel and large flat car web site!
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Interesting cars Tom.
    Nice job. :thumb:
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: especially the well car. Articulated flats are the bomb, I'm about to start scatchbuilding a 20 axle Schnabel car using 4 of the Athearn flats as a starting point. I noticed you're using the roller bearing trucks, what era are you modeling? Keep it up.... :wave:
  4. tomd81

tomd81 New Member

I am modeling the 70's when there was a boom in construction of both coal and nuclear power plants. I am building a huge fleet to support this effort. I enjoy these large flat cars, see my web site for a couple thousand photos!

I really making both the well and the 8 axle flat from the Athearn cars. I think that I have a couple more of the Athearn kits around, and will do a couple more. I will probably buy a couple more, because the blue boxes are getting hard to come by. My LHS inventory is starting to get low.

I still need to come up with a large load for the well car, any suggestions?

WECX 101 - Concept Models (generators)
    WECX 200 - scratch built, trusses completed working on the bases (transformers)
    WECX 202 - Overland (transformers)
    WECX 203 - Overland (transformers)
    WECX 301 - Concept Models (reactors)

CEBX 100 - scratch built - not started yet (boilers)
    CEBX 800 - scratch built - now working on plans (steam generators)

GE 40017 E & P Models

Large Flat
    PRR 400275 - Railworks

Numerious other flat cars (QTTX, KRL and private owners)

I am hoping that Concept Models build the GEX 40010 schnabel and 80003 flat car. I will then add these to the fleet. I am also planning to build a CAPX 1001 - 18 axle flat. This should be easy, no curved section just angles.

I am also starting to work on the associated cabooses that accompany these loads.

My layout will be based in South Carolina - from the port in Chaleston to Aiken. The Southern moved a lot of high wides out of Charleston on this line.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Concept Models is a one man operation. The owner used to be a member of the modular club I belong to before he moved from So Cal to the Reno/Carson City area. If you want a particular model, contact him with a request. If you have some pictures, send them to him as well. There is no guarrantee he will be able to make what you want, but he is probably more responsive than a large company run by committee. His models are resin castings because he can make a mold from anything he can kit bash or scratch build. He doesn't have the high overhead of expensive tooling like the plastic model companies.
  6. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Thats awsome, in 1.1 scale i bet that can hold anything you put on it, how does it handle around the turns?