Thread Starter....

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by EngineerKyle, Sep 16, 2006.

What's your speciality?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2006.
  1. Lanscaping and scenes

0 vote(s)
  2. Structures (kitbashed and scratchbuilt)

0 vote(s)
  3. Bench and Trackwork

0 vote(s)
  4. Lighting and wiring

0 vote(s)
  5. Layout planning

0 vote(s)
  6. Weathering

0 vote(s)
  7. Rolling stock and Loco maintainance

0 vote(s)
  8. DCC

0 vote(s)
  9. Operations

0 vote(s)
  10. Historical and Prototypical Accuracy

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

I have a topic that might start a fun thread. Modelling requires many skills, from the analitical to the creative, and we all have a specialtiy. Many of us like to toot our own horn, too. Nothing wrong with that, it's easier here than in front of the boss. So, consider what aspect of MRR'ing you enjoy, and think you are best at;

Landscaping and Scenes

Structures (kitbashed and scratchbuilt)

Bench and Trackwork

Lighting and wires

Layout planning

Loco and rolling stock maintainance

Historical and protypical accuracy

Include comments and photos if you like.
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

Neat idea Kyle.I hope you get a lot of hits.:D
  3. 91rioja

91rioja Member

Unh Kyle, you forgot

J. None of the above, I'm just a hack.

That would be my vote.
  4. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Or how about simply "I like trains, uhm hmm."
  5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Where's the "All of the above" box?
  6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

How 'bout a category for those of us who build a layout know, without planning and actually thinking things through - then spend hours re-working what should have been better thought out.

Or maybe a category for those who buy stuff they don't really need. (See above statement about forethought and planning.)
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Ooh! I fit into that one! :)
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Like herc, a category for "buying and storing".
  9. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Is someone suggesting the accursed "C" word...... :eek: COLLECTING!?!! GASP! :eek:

*faints*:rolleyes: :sleeping:
  10. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Ya know...maybe collecting isn't such a bad word. Granted I'm into Nscale - but I really appreciate some of the Tower55 offerings in HO. O and G have some great looking stuff and Z is getting better all the time. I've been thinking about just buying something in the larger scales just to sit on a shelf and admire the craftsmanship of the larger scales. Nscale has some good looking stuff, and sometimes I think the only differences between makers is the quality of the drive mechanism because the body/shell detailing is beginning to be just about the same across the board.

What I don't get the is variation in color. Why is it I can go to any Lowe's or Home Depot and match any color exactly with one of their paint scanners, but LifeLike - Kato - Atlas - Bachmann can't agree on what color to paint their diesels so they'd match? I know of an airplane model maker that has a color sampler machine that exactly matches the color of airplane paint so their models look exactly correct to the aircraft. They analyze the actual paint chips to recreate the exact color match. Do the train manufacturers do this or do they just guess on the exact shade to color something?