Thread Starter....

What's your speciality?

• Lanscaping and scenes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Structures (kitbashed and scratchbuilt)

• Bench and Trackwork

• Lighting and wiring

• Layout planning

• Weathering

• Rolling stock and Loco maintainance

• DCC

• Operations

• Historical and Prototypical Accuracy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
I have a topic that might start a fun thread. Modelling requires many skills, from the analitical to the creative, and we all have a specialtiy. Many of us like to toot our own horn, too. Nothing wrong with that, it's easier here than in front of the boss. So, consider what aspect of MRR'ing you enjoy, and think you are best at;

Landscaping and Scenes

Structures (kitbashed and scratchbuilt)

Bench and Trackwork

Lighting and wires

Layout planning

Weathering

Loco and rolling stock maintainance

DCC

Operations

Historical and protypical accuracy

Include comments and photos if you like.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
How 'bout a category for those of us who build a layout backwards...you know, without planning and actually thinking things through - then spend hours re-working what should have been better thought out.

Or maybe a category for those who buy stuff they don't really need. (See above statement about forethought and planning.)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Herc Driver said:
How 'bout a category for those of us who build a layout backwards...you know, without planning and actually thinking things through - then spend hours re-working what should have been better thought out.

Ooh! I fit into that one! :)
Ralph

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Ya know...maybe collecting isn't such a bad word. Granted I'm into Nscale - but I really appreciate some of the Tower55 offerings in HO. O and G have some great looking stuff and Z is getting better all the time. I've been thinking about just buying something in the larger scales just to sit on a shelf and admire the craftsmanship of the larger scales. Nscale has some good looking stuff, and sometimes I think the only differences between makers is the quality of the drive mechanism because the body/shell detailing is beginning to be just about the same across the board.

What I don't get the is variation in color. Why is it I can go to any Lowe's or Home Depot and match any color exactly with one of their paint scanners, but LifeLike - Kato - Atlas - Bachmann can't agree on what color to paint their diesels so they'd match? I know of an airplane model maker that has a color sampler machine that exactly matches the color of airplane paint so their models look exactly correct to the aircraft. They analyze the actual paint chips to recreate the exact color match. Do the train manufacturers do this or do they just guess on the exact shade to color something?