Thoughts on reverse printing?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by paperpanzer, Feb 19, 2009.

1. paperpanzer

paperpanzer Member

Hi All

I'm just unfolding my next model, A Whippet MK A, when the thought came to me about how I was going to ensure the smaller parts have color on both sides??

Before I have folded parts in half but that can make parts too thick and look out of place...

I can see three options

1 Mirror the part

but this can make the parts too thick and if your a little off when folding the part over it can look rubbish.

2 mirror with a colored square

I've seen this on some older Polish models where instead of a mirrored part there is a large square of the base color so when the part is cut out it wont matter if the folding is a bit off. But again there is the problem of thickness.

3 reverse printing

To be honest I've not seen many models with reverse printing, is it that modelers just don't like reverse printing? I know it would be extremely tricky to line up details on a reverse print but just using a block of the base color would at least get some color on both sides.

I was just wondering what the group thought about this and if you have any other ideas?

2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have seen on some models, both free downloads and commercial downloads or pre-printed, where a large block of color is printed on the reverse side of the page.

You could mirror print on plain paper, that would not add a lot of thickness to the part. I have done that in some cases because the plain back showing would not look very good and the part needed detail on both sides. Solid color would work too.

You could color the back of the part by hand using whatever media you prefer. I have done that before using the Prang colored pencils I use for edging.
  3. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Personally I prefer the "mirrored with color block".
    "Mirrored Pieces" is OK if it's a must.

2-sided printing I avoid altogether.

OOH BOY! Cannot wait for the Whippet to be ready.
    Your A7v Herkules is next on my build list after I finish the Fiddler's Airco Dh2.
    I've brought the Herkules up to 1:16 and will use a lot of layering to bring out more detail.
    The vector drawing on your models puts them way ahead of other options.
  4. cmags

cmags Guest

My vote is to mirror print on plain paper to keep the thickness down but be able to align by hand. Even the best of printers will muck up the alignment enough to make it frustrating.
  5. tglenchur

tglenchur Member

Single Sheet - Double Printing

If the shape isn't too complicated color-wise, you could mirror and then enlarge the mirror image to correct for misalignment.
  6. paperpanzer

paperpanzer Member

Thanks guys :thumb:

For all your opinions and the great suggestions. When the model goes off for testing I'll use more than one method for the same part so that there is a choice of build technique.

As for building in 1/16 :eek: I can't wait to to see a photo.

7. 57townsman

57townsman Member

You could always print on colored card stock. This also has the benefit of colored edges. Colored card can be found at craft and scrapbooking stores.