thoughts on new layout

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
I hope to do my frame work this weekend or next. I had a plan about two months ago but then I read John Armstrongs book "track planning for realistic operation" guess what CHANGES. First is the plan before the read and second is after reading. Remember in the first picture on right side middle , the tracks go under and dont stop ( I havnt figured out elevation) On the second pic I still have not figured out elevation so I just labled. Thoughts please, Thanks
old.jpg

new.jpg

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It seems that a single yard spans the whole way around the wall. Is that what you want? I don't see the reason for the spacing of the yard switches on the right side of the layout.

Also, how much space will there be between the center lobe and the top loop? Remember, you'll need benchwork a little wider than the actual loops.

What are you trying to achieve with this plan?

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Thanks for the response Triplex. First the yard only starts from the right side 5 feet from the bottom and then left 15 feet or so. The two outside tracks are the mains and they will be elevated, the next two in are the A/D arrival, departure tracks to service the yard. The spacing for the switches on the a/d tracks allowes for a single in track from the main 15 feet long then the wye splits it into two tracks for either arrival or departure both 15 feet long then back to a single 15 feet long back out to main. The space betwean the loops is 24 inches , the narrowest spot should be about 20 inches for a very short distance. According to John Armstrons book, "24 inches or even a little less for a short distance is ok". The middle loop is a 30" radius, I could make it smaller but would like to keep it. I am trying to have a two line main for just running trains and some yard storage with some switching. Again Thanks for the feeed back.:thumb:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The spacing for the switches on the a/d tracks allowes for a single in track from the main 15 feet long then the wye splits it into two tracks for either arrival or departure both 15 feet long then back to a single 15 feet long back out to main.
I have no idea why you need the single track on either end of the two arrival/departure tracks. They're not useful yard leads unless you can easily access the other tracks from them.

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Acording to the John Armstrong the golden rule is to never foul the main or a/d track with switching. With the single lines on both ends of the a/d track I can bring in or take out a train in either direction. For out going I could build up a train up to 15 feet long in the yards and pull it out to one of the double a/d tracks and a road loco would come up from the maintenance building hook up and take off. For incoming a road loco pulls in drops off the train on the a/d track, head to maintenance building. switcher comes out picks up train pulls it in to yard for sorting out. Hope im explaining it correct . Thanks

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
I am confused with the loops and elevation part. Are there two levels the layout and the loops transition between or have I missed the boat? Maybe two different colors or images would help visualize the two levels.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Acording to the John Armstrong the golden rule is to never foul the main or a/d track with switching. With the single lines on both ends of the a/d track I can bring in or take out a train in either direction. For out going I could build up a train up to 15 feet long in the yards and pull it out to one of the double a/d tracks and a road loco would come up from the maintenance building hook up and take off. For incoming a road loco pulls in drops off the train on the a/d track, head to maintenance building. switcher comes out picks up train pulls it in to yard for sorting out. Hope im explaining it correct . Thanks
What I'm trying to say is, I don't see an easy way for a switcher to move cars from the body tracks to the A/D tracks. Maybe I'm just being confused by the yard design... does anyone else understand how to work it?

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
7-01-07.jpg

Ok some additions. Platypus I labeled some key points on the layout to help explain the elevations. At point "A"(top of picture) the grade starts its climb. AT "B" the elevation has reached to 4 inches and crosses over the tracks. At "C" it continues to climb again. When it reaches "D" it is at a 8 inch elevation. Crosses over the first cross over and reaches point "E". At point "E" the grade starts to go down untill it reaches point "F". AT point "F" the track is level untill it reaches point "A" again. The only tracks that go through this elevation are the two main tracks (the two outer tracks). Triplex I did change the switching around a little bit. I put a entrance into the yard area on both ends of the a/d track. Thanks

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
Thanks for the explanation. The loop makes sense now. I would move the Amtrack station away from where the loop is. I don't know how you plan to landscape it but it seems like it cut into the side of a hill or has tracks criss-crossing over top of it.

I also agree with Triplex, I don't see anything that would work as a yard lead. That is where the switcher would sit. It should be able to pull a cut of cars off the A/D tracks and shove them back into one of the classification tracks. XtrkCad had a feature where you can simulate running the trains on your layout. Try building/breaking up a train in XtrkCad and see how it works.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I didn't think I'd be recommending this site (I always thought it was too dogmatic) but check out Yard Design The yard design at top is quite functional. It shows how single-ended body tracks (that are a switchback, to boot!) can serve a bidirectional A/D track. The only problem I have with it is that the engine terminal is only easily accessible from one end; the plan as shown does favor trains going from left to right.

Evolution of a N Gauge - 3' x 5' Layout for the absolute beginner has the most perfect yard concept I've ever seen. Most of the top half is a yard. The switchback and its tail track are industrial tracks, not part of the yard body, and can be ignored. The stroke of genius here is putting the engine terminal between the A/D track and the body tracks, allowing easy access by trains arriving or departing in either direction.