shamus

Registered Member
Front covers from some of my articles
mags.jpg

W

wt&c

WOW
eek.gif
I'd be VERY lucky to get a photo into Model Railroader's Trackside photos. LOL !! I must say, that is mighty fine
wink.gif

------------------
NARA Member #8
www.a&a.77th.com/
The Appalachian & Atlantic Railroad
"QUALITY at WORK with SAFTEY in MIND"

Virginian

But shamus, I can't read the issue #s or dates so I can find them somewhere and read the articles!too!! It's not the same, lookin' and readin' on line...I can't carry the computer into the 'library', after all!
rolleyes.gif
. Please identify issue numbers and publication dates for all of us goggle eyed envyers
wink.gif
I agree WOW
eek.gif

VGN
By the way... I ran the 2-8-8-2 at Fulton Station this afternoon..ALL afternoon
biggrin.gif

Made my down payment and hope to take delivery within the week. I sure hope some fella has been wantin' a racing canoe or a 1983 Toyota..both are for sale...anybody wanna guess why?????

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-08-2001).]

Guys, please control yourselves. Shamus will be signing autographs in Macys this coming Saturday. Flying in specially
biggrin.gif

George

Nice little gallery, Shamus!

The bridges have caught my interest. The "N" scale double track bridge must have been from scratch? And the Raton Snake Valley arch bridge, is that the Life Like kit?

George.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Gang,
That bridge George, was a Faller Kit, I kitbashed two bridge kits to get the length I wanted. You were right about the N-scale bridge, that was scartchbuilt, as was the other timber trestle on the "New Beaver & Timber Springs"

We obviously have a "world reknowned expert" in our midst, in the person of Shamus. We must consider ourselves very lucky that he is willing to spend time with us here.

------------------
Dave Flinn, Northeast Regional Vice President, NRHS
National Director, Cornell Chapter, NRHS
Life Member NMRA, NER, NFR,
Danbury Railway Museum

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Dave,
"world renowned expert" I doubt that, Now, if you had mentioned John Allen, then your talking king of the road.

jimnrose

Shamus, Dave is right. The top of the mountain has room for more than one highly skilled modeler and sharing your talents with newcomers like me is priceless. I've
just finished laying a lot of track and having pictures of your trestles, landscaping and structures allows me to set standards that are quite a stretch.
Thanks again, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jim,
Thanks for that, what are you into my friend. HO logging as well, let me know, and keep me posted as to what you are doing.
Here's a full shot of my layout.
BadgerCreek.jpg

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-11-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Hi johan
The lens used was a 28mm wide angle, and the time exposure was 3 seconds at f22. Daylight Tubes were use, plus add bounce flash to add a little sparkle.

jimnrose

Shamus,
I've started a layout (34' x 26') focusing on arranging 800' of track and 74 turnouts at 5 levels with a common helix. My initial approach was not to represent a specific freight line or location but instead
to capture five different schemes with interesting track interplay. As a retired engineer I was concentrating on the logistics
with my prime goal to tackle modeling and artwork required to fabricate the landscape,
trestles, structures and operating details that pulls together various settings. I tend to prefer rustic settings and will therefore focus on a "logging camp" mainly due to the work you have shared. My trackwork is just about complete. The next phase is the trestles and track debug activity before fabricating the terrain.
I reside at two locations and am luck to have been able to join two train clubs. The skill mix and comradery is superb and I'm in the heavy learning cycle. I taught as a retired electromechanical engineer with lots of carpentry experience plus equipment, that I was in a strong position to "pull it
together" but I was pleasantly surprised that the hobby encompasses a "fanominal" range of skills to pull everything together.

jimnrose

Shamus and the gang,
Sorry for my bad grammer, maybe I'll proof read future inputs. Anyway I did not
teach (taught) as an engineer but intended to say I "thought as an electro......". Sorry for the distraction.
I'll be back to my layout in early May and the first task is to cut the dimensional lumber reguired for the trestles. I'm planning to use a very fine kerf blade and jig my table saw. Cutting such small stock will be a challenge. Take care, Jim

johan

How did you manage to get the whole of the room in, what photographic lens did you use?
Also what was the exposure time, I would be interested to know.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Jim,
"Reside at two locations", wow, you could have two layouts, each in a new area. May, seems a long way off from starting on a railroad, why that long time.

jimnrose

Shamus,
My wife and I run with the "snow birds". Our layout is at our Cape Cod (Ma)location where we have plenty of space. In the winter we set up camp in Florida where the weather is fantastic.
I'm involved with the local club in Florida and helping upgrade their control system plus learning a lot. I plan next winter to build structures while "away from
the Cape". I like to do a lot of planning and review, therefore periodic absence from the layout, has it's advantages.
Take care, Jim

George

Hello Jimnrose!
You should have called yourselves "Snowbirds" from the top!
biggrin.gif

5 levels? WOWCH! Watch the head! What road(S) are you modelling? Sounds like a lot of fun once the work's done.

George.

jimnrose

George,
I didn't define the layout prototypically but instead from a theme approach. I'm setting the time frame in the middle 40's thru 50's in HO with five different arenas (coal, timber, farm/small town, yards and seaport). That's all I'm able to digest for now but as I'm getting inputs from club members & their layouts as well as the fantastic work you guys are showing plus articles in the magazines, I'm starting to get a better vision on the details. Looking forward to all the challenges. Thanks to all, Jim