Thought I'd Stop In & Say Hi!

Drew1125

Been a few weeks since I've stopped in here...It says I haven't been here since last month, & there are 13 PAGES of new posts!! :eek:
It looks like the place has been real busy, & I sure am glad to see that! :thumb:
I haven't been able to do any modeling lately...I have stopped in a few times over at Paul's new site, & re-run some of my older stuff over there...I just haven't had much time for anything lately!
Life has been kinda crazy...
I've gotten another job, & that's been a little tough for me...kinda like going back to school!
But I'm VERY grateful to still be working...I had thought I was going to have to go on disability!
I'm not sure where this is going, but hey, at least we're still makin' the rent here!
I just wanted to let you guys know I was still kickin'!
I'll talk atcha later! :)

Gary Pfeil

Good to hear from you Charlie, glad to hear things looking up, I hope things continue to improve! If it's not too personal is it your vision that's been giving you trouble?

Gary

F

Fred_M

Hi Drew, welcome back. Glad to hear about your new job, wish you all the best. Fred

interurban

So good to hear from you Charlie :wave:
Hang in there pal, hope your health improves :thumb:

MISS YOU hanging around here.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Great to have you back Charlie :) :) Have Fun!!!!! & Great stuff too!!! Glad to hear you're doing good!!!! :D

jmarksbery

:wave: Hey Charlie, good to hear from you, I hope the new job goes well and the health thing also. I know how it is as I got laid off from my job because of health reasons and I don't think I can make it on SS. The disablity thing was even worse as my doctors wanted me to go that route. Have faith my friend and I pray everything works out for you. Your friend, Jim :thumb: :thumb:

Drew1125

Thanks

Thanks for the expressions of concern, guys!
This place has always been, & remains the BEST!! :wave:

Gary H Pfeil said:
....is it your vision that's been giving you trouble?

Gary

Yeah...I guess I should explain...
I'm a fairly healthy guy, for an old middle aged fart... :D There's nothing life-threatening going on here...it's just threatening my life STYLE :rolleyes:
I suffer from a genetic eye disease, called Macular Degeneration, which is slowly robbing me of my vision...It's very rare in people under the age of 60 or so, but hey, I guess I'm just special, huh? :rolleyes: :D There is no cure, & no way to predict the progress of the disease...It could remain stable, or it could get much worse...
The good news is...When I was tested in April, my vision had remained stable from the previous Oct. I have to go back again this coming Oct, so we'll keep our fingers crossed!
Since being diagnosed 4 yrs ago, I have pretty much lost all the vision in my left eye, & about 30% of the vision in my right...my legal status at this point is "Visualy Impaired"...
Like I said, I'm very grateful that my general physical health is good...
Mentaly...well...I have good days, & bad days...
I know a blind model railroader is a contradiction in terms, but this hobby has always been kinda like a drug to me...it's a hard habit to break! :D
So I continue to piddle with it, until I get frustrated, then I quit...
I'm goinjg through one of the "quit" phases right now... :curse:
I'm just goin' wherever this road called "life" is takin' me!

NYC-BKO

Hi Charlie, thanks for stopping in, wish you the best. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be, can't read reporting marks on cars anymore. have to use mag. glasses. Glad I'm not in N or Z scale.

Hi Charlie,

Always good to hear from you.
And hope the eyes continue NOT to degenerate.
Getting old is hell. I don't like it one bit. Whoever invented the term "golden years" was a fraud.
As an example: I was in your neighborhood (La Grange) on Derby weekend, and went hiking with a bunch of nieces and cousins in the rain. I slipped on a steep grassy slope and sprained my right bicepts muscle. It's over two months now, and I can still barely raise my arm --- in spite of physical therapy and "drugs". If that had happened thirty or forty years ago, a] it probably wouldn't have injured me in the first place, and b] even if it had, I'd have been over it in a week!

BillS

Gary Pfeil

Bill, Ain't that the truth! I went for a hike with my wife yesterday, nothing happened that I was aware of, just at one point my big toe started to hurt. Today it won't bend! What the heck? Anyway, Charlie I hope your condition remains stable, I can appreciate your apprehension as several years ago I had surgery on both eyes for detached retinas. For about a week after surgery I was virtually blind, I could see light and dark, but couldn't focus, nor even well enough to put a cd in the player. In my case, I knew my vision would be back (although I worried that it wouldn't!). Best wishes.

Drew1125

Wow!
Well, they say misery loves company, & I really appreciate you guys chimin' in here! ;)
Gary, it sounds like you & Bill & I are all goin' the way of the steam engine!
Maybe that's why we have such an affection for those machines!
Let's not think of ourselves as "old", or "worn out"...let's say we're more like "classics"! ;) :D
I may be a bit rusty, & slower than these newer models, but I'm not ready for the scrap yard yet! LOL! :sleeping:

Bill, sorry to hear about your injury!
Fortunately, the only "sprains" I've received during Derby time, have been my digestive system, & my wallet! :eek:ops: :rolleyes: :D

Thanks again everyone! Y'all are some real good friends! :thumb: :cool:

Lighthorseman

Hey, Charlie!

I'm a little slow off the mark here, but I'd like to add my thanks to you for dropping in and saying hello.

All the best of luck with your health now, and in the future, :thumb: and may we still be following your superb kitbashes for decades to come! :wave:

Drew1125

Thanks Steve! :)
I've been following your diesel kitbash you've got going! :cool:
And a belated Happy Birthday, my friend! :D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Charlie, I admire your attitude. I also wish you the best as you deal with this change in your life and hope that you can preserve your sight as much as possible!
Regards,
Ralph

Sir_Prize

Bummer about the eyesight.
My Grandmother (Pop's side) had that, too.
She could hear a fly pass gas though!
Best to you, and prayers of a settled spirit.