Those Sneaky Marines

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdavenport, Dec 8, 2007.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

A friend of mine sent this to me. Does anyone know of an HH-53 model out there. It would be worth the time to repaint it!

"If a Muslim sees a naked woman --- they are supposed to kill themselves."

Look closely at the photo. If anyone wants all the images, 4 total, PM me. I am happy to share.

Attached Files:

2. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Nice to see they can still get the pin ups on the aircraft somehow, where theres a will, hope they get away with it.
  3. AbysmalPea

AbysmalPea Hey! You with the face!

GPM made one, but it doesn't appear to be on their site anymore.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

That's pretty much a good rule to reduce your own population if not become extinct.

NULLMOON Member

GPM do one dont bother with gpm direct there bloody useless i think the model is out of print try Paper Model Store or they may be able to find it if you ask its a big kit A3 format very detailed
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks! I checked PMI and PMS, no joy.
  7. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

USMC aka Uncle Sams Mis-guided Children, gotta love um.
    I have a 1-48 plastic kit which is excellent, have been trying to figure out how to transform it in paper with out destroying it. Any ideas ??
    Major Davenport check on flickr, I found a bunch of CH-53 Echo pics there, taken by a Marine gunner in one.
    Its a free site.

NULLMOON Member

keep a sharp eye out for the gpm kit i checked the usual sites no joy gpm,and moudni both sell plastic cockpits but not the model itself try googling gpm HH-53 it usaly comes up with results
  9. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

It all depends upon how much work you are willing to expend. If you have a profile gauge, you can develop your own bulkhead profiles. After that its a simple matter of taking flat sheet card and cutting and fitting. Then comes the painting. Don't forget the details. The canopy section is a challenge. Oh, what the heck, build the plastic one and call it a day!
    Merry Christmas
  10. Longshaor

Longshaor Member

More info on the markings

Helo #70 had a map of Texas on it's nose in camo and one aircraft in the squadron had either "eat me" or "bite me" written across the underside also in camo.

God bless the Marines!
  11. Sneaky Marine

Sneaky Marine New Member

I am the one responsible for those camo paintings on the CH-53Es. The crew-chief for #70, Jeff Gottlob, requested that I do the state of Texas on his bird. Jeff also had a model of his bird made with the exact camo details that I (and the paint crew) put on the real A/C. I also wrote "eat me" (or was it Bite Me? I will have to search my journal) on the belly of one of the A/Cs. On another A/Cs belly is the middle finger. You can read the full story and see three more pics with the paint crew and crew cheif for #70 at my site Hey Longshaor, do you have a photo of the eat me thing? I had almost forgatten about that. How did you know? Are you one of the HMH-466 bubbas?
  12. Longshaor

Longshaor Member

No, I wasn't in...

I came across you guys on another website, and there's at least one chain-e-mail of your handywork going around (I know, I sent it to my cousin who works for Sikorsky). I didn't know about the middle finger, hopefully somebody has a picture of that (and the eat me/bite me) they can share.

Cheers, and thanks for serving!:thumb:
  13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

The hell you say! A modern day Rembrandt! I am retired USAF and never met a Marine I didn't admire and respect. One of my former students is a Marine sniper and I work on the hall (at the middle school were I teach science) with another Marine. In fact, one of my favorite greetings when the day is wet, cold, and dreary is, "Another fine Marine training day!"

Merry Christmas!
  14. knife

knife Member

For everybody's info: The GPM model (Number 110) is of an USAF HH-53 painted in SEA camo. I have two, of which I plan to modify to the MH-53 Pave Low version. The kit would take a major refit to make it into the H-53E version in the photo. The upper fuselage and tail would have to be completely redesigned. I got into a bit of hot water with the Navy when we flew out to the hospital ship U.S.S. Mercy during the first desert storm. The crew chief had painted "show us your t*ts on the underside if the helicopter. After sitting six months in a tent in the desert, I guess we weren't too politically correct. By the way, the USAF is retiring all their H-53's this next year. After thirty years of service, there's still nothing out there that can replace it. Don't even get me started on the V-22. And to Sneaky Marine, I salute your artistic ability and imagination.
  15. dhanners

dhanners Member

As a lowly card modeler -- and as a Muslim -- I would hope this forum would be about modeling and not just another place to post anti-Islamic (and hideously uninformed) neocon rants.

Qur'an certainly never says anything remotely akin to "If a Muslim sees a naked woman, he should kill himself." Even the sentiment involved in the statement is foreign to what's in Qur'an. In fact, Qur'an speaks very strongly against suicide for any reason.

Are we against all Muslims now? If so, let me know.

As an American, I'm thankful for our armed forces. But misunderstandings like this is how we get into trouble in the first place. They misunderstand us, we misunderstand them and pretty soon nobody knows what the hell is going on, and nobody cares.

Merry Christmas.
  16. Sneaky Marine

Sneaky Marine New Member

dhanners - In no way was those pictures I painted to be used to insult or disrespect one's belief. They are not anti Muslim or anti Islamic! Someone along the way tagged those photos with that disgusting rhetoric. And I am personally appalled and insulted. on my blog at: I try to explain how those helicopters came to be the way they were and that I am unhappy with how they have been labeled. I guess I am going to have to go to every web-site, message board and blog to try and rectify this. With that said, you are correct, this is a place for models and the conversation should revert back to models and to do so, I say this; does anyone know how I can get a model of a CH-53E with my artwork on it?
  17. dhanners

dhanners Member

I believe you, Sneaky Marine. I've been modeling long enough (45+ years) to know that risque nose art has been a part of aviation as long as, well, as long as aviation has been around. The great majority of these aviators, particularly in the military, have been young, healthy, red-blooded men, and even I can remember what I was like when I was young, healthy and red-blooded.

That said, there are many folks in the world who are ready and more than willing to take stuff like this artwork and twist it, as you've described. I know that's not your fault. Islam gets a bad-enough rap out there, and folks start to believe anything bad they hear about it. But if you tell people that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said things like, "The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr," people have a hard time believing it. They just hear about the horrors of the Taliban or the abuses of extremists and before you know it, most folks think all Muslims act and think that way.

So I really have no beef with you, Sneaky Marine. And I can understand your dismay over what people have "added" to your artwork. It's sad.

Ok.... Back to modeling....
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

@dhanners, I have worked with many Muslims. I worked at Sikorsky Aircraft for 9 years, there are a lot of Muslims building those helicopters. The world needs more Muslims speaking out and defending and educating people about religion from those who would pervert it. Cheers to you. People tend top generalize about religions, Christian of otherwise. People of faith have more in common than the people without. It is the fringe people who sow the discord, not being god Christians or Islamists or Jews or Atheists. They hate for power, it has nothing to do with religion or card modeling.
  19. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I'm pretty sure that the Qur'an doesn't say that all 'evil Americans' or non-Muslims should be killed as well. While trying to stay out of religion and politics, it really needs to be said that there certainly seems to be much misunderstanding / mis-use of the Qur'an on BOTH sides of this current 'religious' war against Americans that our good military is trying to defend against. If only everybody on both sides could take the 'Peace on Earth' saying to heart we'd have a much happier place to live ;)
  20. loadmat

loadmat Member

Well said Dan - Thank You, and Merry Christmas