Those magnificent men and their flying machines

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Bengt F, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Magnificent Flying Machines Card Models at FG

Important announcement for Rob and all you Magnificent Men and Women!

I have received a very friendly mail from Jim Fainges of Australia, informing me that his vintage aeroplane models, as pictured on his and his wife Marjory´s homepage under "Card Models", can be purchased on a CD from Chip Fyn at Fiddlers Green!

Jim recommends contacting Chip at the following e-mail address: ,who handles this CD for him.

If that doesn´t work, Jim writes that he can be reached at: , for further info.

Jolly good chap, eh?

PS. For those lucky ones who have an FG Magic Key, perhaps the Cd is just a mouse click away?

PS PS. (edited in): I have received a message from Rob saying that the people at FG have apparently NOT advertised this CD on their website, and these models are NOT on their "Pioneers of Flight" CD.
    So, if you are interested in the CD, write a mail to Chip! I think I will. I have seen a sample, and it looks very good!

PS PS PS. (edited in). No e-mail reply from Chip yet... (2006-04-06)
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Magnificent Error

Hi all,

At the end of the "Scratchbuilt Grahame-White..."-thread there is a new post, which should have appeared here.
    Just a couple of pictures and some info about the Santos-Dumont 'Demoiselle' and the Blériot XI aeroplanes...

I say - a bit of a miss, old boy!
    Bengt :lol:
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Jim Fainges´Bleriot XI Card Model - A Magnificent Piece

Hi all airmen and -women,

Today I started to cut into Jim Fainges´ delightful little Blériot XI model, which was kindly mailed to me by a very good friend.
    It´s very accurate from what I can tell so far and highly detailed. The cut-outs on the fuselage (between very thin ribs and spars) are about the same challenge as the cutting of the launch escape tower on a 1:48 scale Mercury or Apollo rocket, if you get my point.
    And if you want to add some more realism and be true to the original, you can add monofilament bracing cross-wires all over the fuselage (à la 'Grahame-White-by-Eric') and spend a couple of days on that. I´ll decide tomorrow . . .

Anyway, it´s a beauty. I sure would like to get that CD and see all the other aeroplane models from "Those Magnificent Men . . ."

Eagerly awaiting a response from Chip at FG - I´ll let y´all know when I get the word.

Good evening from Stockholm,
    Bengt :wink:
  4. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

By all means add the bracing, but don't use monofilament. Find the thinnest wire you can (I use individual strands stripped out of speaker wire), straighten a short length by grabbing each end with a pair of pliers and lightly stretching it, then cut to size and attach with a drop of white glue at either end. It's time consuming and tedious, but a little effort will give you perfectly straight bracing wires that will never sag and will not put any tension on the fuselage structure.
  5. shrike

shrike Guest

Check the thread titled "Guy Wires" for info on what I've been using - EZLine elastic line
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Bracing Wires

Thanks for the tip. I remember now having read about it in your post.
    It seems to be the better solution - this structure cannot handle any tension at all.
    I´ll certainly try it - I think I have some old speaker wire somewhere in the basement . . .

Bengt :wink:
  7. 46rob

46rob Member

Old speaker wire strands are excellent--I also use them on my N scale model RR Layout for electric and telephone lines.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

EZ Line for aeroplane rigging

I found the thread mentioning the thread . . . (joke)

The EZ line seems very interesting for aeroplane or ship rigging purposes - available in two 'sizes': 0.08 mm and 0.15 mm thickness.
    It´s elastic, so I gather that the structure you´re building has to be relatively strong.
    However, sometimes the tension might be just the desired effect..?
    Worth a try . . .

Here´s a link to that page:

The more options the better,
  9. shrike

shrike Guest

In the .08mm size the tension is negliable. Just enough to hold it tight (perhaps 5% ?) When you are working with it you DO have to be careful because you can't feel any tension at all.
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

EZ Line Movie Clip

Hi all,

Have you seen the little movie clip on the site mentioned above? It´s great fun - the effect reminds me of a a combination of Frodo hanging from Shelob´s lair spider web and a bungy jump cord!

11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Detail Photos for Blériot XI Card Models - The Flying SWEDE

Hello, chaps!

While searching for detailed pictures for the intricate rigging of the Blériot XI for my Jim Fainges build on the web today, I found this very interesting home page of the SWEDISH aviator Mikael Carlsson. Refer to the pictures attached below!

He is an airline captain by profession, flying Boeing 737s, but in his spare(!) time he restores and builds vintage aeroplanes:

He is the proud owner of two SWEDISH-made Thulin Blériot XIs from 1910!
    In 1999, on the 90th anniversary of Louis Blériots epic cross-channel flight,
    he repeated the remarkable feat in his own, restored Blériot, which he had found disassembled in a barn some ten years earlier.
    Note that he did this relying entirely on the plane´s authentic, original Gnome engine, made in 1908!
    Pay him a visit:

Of interest is also that he has built a complete Fokker D VII, using an old engine. This aeroplane was shown (not yet ready to fly) in the feature film "Så vit som en snö" (2001) by the SWEDISH director/filmmaker Jan Troell. Starring in the leading part, portraying SWEDENS first female aviator, Elsa Andersson, was the actress Amanda Ooms.
    If you are interested in this film:

This Fokker D VII is now nearing completion, and will probably be seen in the skies of southern SWEDEN (Skåne) some time later this year.
    Btw, his wife Gunilla is also an experienced pilot and wing walker..! I say!

I´m not usually this patriotic, but I just couldn´t help myself . . .
    blast whimshes, (written next to an autograph, for a reporter of the largest daily newspaper in Stockholm by John Lennon on "The Beatles" first visit to Sweden)

12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A Resource for Vintage Aeroplanes

Thanks Tim,

This page is very interesting! What a gold mine for the vintage airplane enthusiasts.
    I´m especially fond of the picture of the flying Bristol 'Boxkite' (a link to but there are many others with good detail information.

Good show!
  14. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Bengt, those are some good looking planes. It is nice that someone takes the time to restore and fly the old machines while being busy flying the new ones. :)
  15. Felixdk

Felixdk New Member

I've been trying to get all of my old camcorder tapes onto DVD and ran across one from Old Rhinebeck, which you have indicated an interest in visiting. This took place at the end of the summer of 2001 at the sunday WWI show. Its about 5 minutes long, which is the limit for Photobucket and their format doesn't allow very good resolution.

If you get to the States, its definitely worth a visit.

16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Movie

Hi Don,

Great movie!
    A spectacular landing of the Fokker Dr. I triplane! Thanks.

best regards,
    Bengt :rofl:
  17. 46rob

46rob Member

Bengt: did you ever find a copy of the CD with the models?
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Jim Fainges´Vintage Aeroplane Card Models CD

Hi Rob,

No, I´m afraid I haven´t got any reply yet - either from Chip at FG or from Mr Jim Fainges in Australia, to whom I have written a second mail.

I´ll just patiently 'bide my time' for the time being,
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Bengt and others interested

I got a reply from Jim Fainges regarding his CDs. I have copied the meat of it here.

At present, the listing of the cardmodels that I have made needs some
    adjustment, because for some of them I haven't completed the final
    instructions. - (I love designing the models, but put the
    instructions often on the backburner.)
    Currently I have in CD form, several historical aircraft flown that
    were flown by Charles Kingsford Smith, Bert Hinkler, Ross & Keith
    Smith - all Australian pioneers in flight.
    My CD - Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines CD is currently
    being sold by Chip Fyn (Fiddlers Green).
    I have another CD - the first 12 aircraft registered to the Royal
    Australian Air Force, the 2nd and 3rd series are in progress, as time
    and other projects permit.

I hope this helps anyone interested.

20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Jim Fainges´"Magnificent Men" Aeroplane CD

Hi Ashrunner,

Thanks - this brings the hunt back on track. I have sent Chip Fyn a new mail, in which I enquire further about the CD. I hope I´ll get an answer this time.

Keep those scissor-fingers crossed (without the scissors)!