Thompson Machine Gun

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Ziga, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Ziga

Ziga Member

Has anoyne ever seen a 1:1 paper model of the 1928 Thompson Machine Gun? I would love to see that gun designed.
  2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

3. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ziga, the finned barrel, forward handgrip, Cutts compensator, 50 rd drum mag, top cocking with Lyman adjustable site version?
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Sounds like it...

Thompson Model 1928 submachine gun with 50-round drum magazine and Cutts compensator

Other models were the 1928A1 to the final M1 and M1A1. The Brits used the 50 round drums at first and then the Americans kept the drums for the Marines in the Pacific. Usually it was assigned with a 30 round mag for the M1A1.
  6. diamondback

diamondback Member

Guys, I've handled TSMGs in RL, and unless modified, an M1 cannot use drums. (Two tracks had to be cut in the frame, which meant more machining, and the drums were less-than-reliable; this is why the sticks went from 20 to 30 for standard capacity.)

Add me as a +1, I know a buncha guys who own live steel ones that'd love it and I'd be on for building 'em for.

They're huge, they're heavy, but man are they fun to cut loose on the range with.
  7. Ziga

Ziga Member

8. Maurice

Maurice Member

"And we're all off to Dublin in the green, in the green
    Where the helmets glisten in the sun
    Where the bayonets flash and the rifles crash
    To the rattle of a Thompson gun"

Unfortunate connections but a jolly chorus.
    Early Thompson guns were acquired by the Irish Republican Army from supporters in the U.S. and were used in the latter stages of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War and also in later "Troubles". They lost favour with the IRA only after being shown to be outdated in 1969/70.
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

10. Maurice

Maurice Member

11. hmas

hmas Member

can't get in all I get is, You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    is this a US thing to keep out undesirables?:???:
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

The site Terry posted worked yesterday, but now it is not accessible... Perhaps there has been too much activity in the past day or so....
  13. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

That Last Site I Posted Is Working Fine Now

Don't you just hate that FORBIDDEN ERROR?:twisted:

Sort of goes for the jugular, don't ya think?

14. Ziga

Ziga Member

Can anyone post blueprints of this gun? There is a chance that a very good designer will try to do something useful with them.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

What ... like this?

16. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

Here is another photo of the gun that made the 20's roar----

17. diamondback

diamondback Member

As a Thompsonista, let me point out that the '21/'28 and the M1 are two different beasts--the M1 was a total redesign to cut down on production time, machining and expense.
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah.......... and in my opinion looks like how a machine gun should look!

Anybody remember COMBAT!............ you can't call yourself a Sargent unless you're totin a THOMPSON!

Vic Morrow............. now there was a SARGENT!
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I was kinda fond of "Bill" Kirby and that big ole 1918a1 BAR! 20 rounds of 30-06 automatic mahem!