Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
  1. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

On30 Kit-Bash fodder!

Need I say more?
  2. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Overall, I like Thomas b/c the original railway stories generally revolve around real-life railway activity. Even the engines are based on actual locos -- they're not made-up cartoony engine but have their real-life counterparts.

You can read all about this here: Characters of the Railway Series: Thomas the Tank Engine

Thomas is an E2 loco which was used by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. I think Gordon is an A3 Pacific and Henry is a Standard Class 5. At any rate, it's great to have a kids' series of books and TV show that portrays actual engines shunting, obeying signals, hauling freight, etc. This does a lot for our hobby !

Unfortunately, my sons (ages 5 & 7) have now out-grown Thomas! :eek: and now rank him with "Blues Clues" and Barney the Dinosaur ! Hopefully, they'll change their minds again in the future.

3. RobertInOntario

Oh, and the other interesting point is the the author, Rev. Awdry, was an active railway enthusiast himself, as is his son Christopher (who has written books on steam railways and heritage lines) and even as his son (who probably has no choice in the matter! :mrgreen:)

4. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I'll say! When I saw this thread back up in my UserCP, I nearly fell out of my chair! Now I want that Bachman Mavis BR 04 switcher again, but just as a shop motor. My Hustler is starting to take more of a role with working sidings and as extra power on drag freights (you'd be surprised at what a decent running Athearn Hustler can pull!:mrgreen:)
  5. logicman

logicman Greybeard

I think your Hustler against my De Witt Clinton is an absolute no contest - mine can only just move its own weight.

One of the great things about zealot is its encyclopaedic scope. In a real sense, these threads are never obsolete. Just imagine on a geek forum - a reply in 2008 to a 1994 poll: "How many of you have tried win 95?":mrgreen:

6. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

PRRman here on The Gauge thinks my Hustler is trying to kill him because I have to turn the throttle up when the engine stalls, and the Hutler just lurches violently right in the direction of PRRman if he's nearby, always scaring the :) out of him:p Heck, if the engine is going hard enough, it could probably outpull Deano's Veranda Turbinesign1
  7. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Hahahaha!!!! Lol
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

For those of you in N America that would like Kadees on your Thomas stock, you can replace the British tension-lock coupling with Kadees NEM mount if the original is screwed to something from below. Drill an appropriate hole in the coupling shank about where the number is moulded in -- ahead of where the shank splits, then screw it on. The top of the tension-lock coupling is the height for the top of the NEM shank,
    Bachmann, however, have mucked up some of the mountings on their NEM pockets and actually had to produce couplings ith a step in the shank. These will not produce couplings at the correct height if you put any normal NEM in them.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

As always in this hobb6y, it is the individual modellers call - no one else's.

So, if Thomas the Tank Engine melts your butter, go for it.
  10. RobertInOntario

If you want to learn about railways (especially British ones), just read Thomas!

Also, as per my recent thread on "childhood memories," it looks like most of us got into our train hobbies because of childhood events. So Thomas should bring a lot of newcomers into the hobby in the future.

11. ZeldaTheSwordsman

ZeldaTheSwordsman Thomas Modeler

I use the Thomas engines on my 4'x6' floor layout. I have Gordon, Henry, Thomas(down for repair, will be for some time to come), and James(also down, but expected to be back in service by Sunday 10-5-08). Henry is the one I use most. I have two coaches that he pulls from Tidmouth to Crovan's Gate and back again. Gordon is currently sitting at the harbour with a truck full of unshaped stones(real rocks, by the way) coupled behind. Gordon and Henry are very strong, and can pull large trains without stalling. I have opened Henry's cab windows and given him cab details and a crew. Waiting on the Crovan's Gate platform are: three misc. people, my maternal grandmother, and Princess Zelda(lol). My Bachmann Thomas(whose cab I opened) will be relegated to spare engine duty following the opening of my Chrismas gifts, as I'm expecting a Hornby Thomas(comes with cab open, has front coupler, and is a bit more accurate to a real E2).
  12. Mountain Man

Everyone appears to have overlooked the primary advantage of the Thomas trains - with nothing more than a saw, a router and a pine board, you can make all the track, turnouts and switches you will ever need, and with a few more simple tools, all the cars and engines as well! :thumb:
  13. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Plus Lego Thomas trains are the easiest trains to kitbash...

;) :D

14. Mountain Man

Depends on how big your ham...uh...delicate adjustment tool is. :cool:
  15. hammer13

hammer13 New Member

I have to admit I run thomas and bill, carrabel, annie, and am waiting for gordon to arrive also, stephenie, they will all be run on my main track our kids and me love them Im doing a 2nd track devoted to thomas and friends, as kids are the fucher I cant take life too seriously as we all need to relax and enjoy (hence I bought a 4x4 when every one else is selling them lol) My moto in life is if its dirty play (off roading of cause what else would I of meant lol) sign1 sorry if this is a bit off topic
  16. Tirick

Tirick Member

The first thing my wife said when my son was born: "I guess you can have your train set now."

I've never had one, always wanted one (I'm active on this forum in the paper modeling side), and now with my boy showing a keen interest in trains, especially Thomas, I can see it as a great opportunity to learn a new hobby as he grows older (he's now 3). I don't think I'd want a full scale set with Thomas trains, although the toys are a brilliant way to encourage his interest. My wife got him a few sets for Christmas, and cobbling them together I came up with a layout that seems to work for him. Just a few switches, with a roundabout in the center, although he tends to run the trains together a lot at the moment if he has more than one on the tracks. Never thought it would be taking up 6' square of our living room mind you.

I think I'll need to get the lad a table.

Attached Files:

17. TheMercinary60

TheMercinary60 New Member

wait thats George Carlin on the new ones? i loved Thomas back in the day, now when im bored i look it up on netflix, thats what started me back into this actually, but i cant imagine George doing the voice for a kids show
  18. gbwdude

gbwdude Member

I just hijacked a Bachmann Thomas from our club since he hasn't been touched in a while and started adding Kadee's to him. The way I see it is these days, kids have been taken over by video games and if every now and then if Thomas comes out to pull a few cars on the layout that may be their link at getting interested in model railroading. I also have a Harry Potter train and feel the same way about that. Granted that's not even remotely close to what I model, but like I said, it's about that link to keep this hobby going. Sadly I feel it's on the downhill slope, you can't pick up a decent train set without paying for a overpriced, more than likely poor running loco, or it's the complete other end of the spectrum, a great running loco but you need DCC and/or 22" or bigger radius curves. Toy stores only have toys, hobby shops more so only have models. And especially with Athearn and Roundhouse only making RTR stuff, that only leaves Bowser and Accurail (and a few others) as shake-the-box makers.

19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

My 11 year old watched Thomas for a little while. A couple of years anyway. He wouldn't admit it now, but all these things bring back memories. I just followed my son and have been a big kid for last 11 years. It's great!!
  20. Doctor G

Doctor G Active Member

Thomas trains

Hi Guys,

Here is a model I made for our local Museum's Lionel layout. I built the structure for the Island of Sodor engine house. The kids love the Thomas trains!!!

Attached Images [​IMG]

Doc Tom