Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

They are really going to release something like that? :eek:
    I've gotta find it! :D

7 Dirty Words You Can't Say In The Trainhouse. :D :D
  2. slekjr

slekjr Member

Sorry Cannonball
    Didn't mean to imply they had released them, They probably never will.
  3. Cannonball

Darn. :(
    They're probably afraid that some little kid would get ahold of it and be scarred for life. He'd hear Thomas swearing like a sailor and then grow up like Jay & Silent Bob or something.
  4. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

Too true. I hear they are going to do a "Biggles" series next -- Sopwiths to Spits with moving eyes on their cowls and a decidely frisk empanage. George Carlin is set to play Ginger. No word yet on the love interest. Probably funded by Players (do they still sell those in Old Blightly?).

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The next series is apparently already out; it's called Underground Ernie and has a collection of subway trains from around the world. The first set is already out in Britain.
  6. Mike14xx

Mike14xx New Member

Underground Ernie is extremely disturbing. It has a website and Bachmann Branchline are going to do each of them.
  7. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Last summer, while in England, my sons and I watched a few episodes of Underground Ernie. From what I remember, it was quite cute and we liked it. Rob
  8. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Of course Marklin and Hornby have brought out another kids classic: Harry Potter. I'm personally bored when watching these movies but it was interesting to read what challenges they had to face while making the movie, since the loco never ran in that area they filmed.
  9. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

My wife's first set was the Hogwarts Express made for sale in toy has only two passenger cars and NO platform 9-3/4. It came on Bachmann EZ track, but with steel rail and the black roadbed base. (Follow the link in my signature to read about what's going to happen to that, btw) The price was right too, at just under $50 for the set! It was our Xmas train for a couple years when we used a small tree on a round table so little hands couldn't grab the trains. I've got a commemorative WDW train eventually a display loop for the Hogwarts Express and Disney train stuff doubling as a Xmas tree layout will have to be made...perhaps in time for next Xmas? We'll see.

Here's a link I posted in hiscopilot's thread about a Sodor related incident on my former club's layout.

I was there when this happened, and I can assure you it was not a posed or staged scene but an actual happening that really did snowball into this tremendous wreck! Thomas and his friends are still welcomed by this club. In fact, the fellow who usually brings him has installed DCC in the engines, apparantly with no trouble.

And finally, I was at the WGH show in Portland, OR last weekend. The Bachmann company display included both layouts featured in their website gallery, the On30 layout and the Sodor layout. Visit their website and go to the gallery for more pics. I took a few but they came out a bit blurry because unbeknownst to me my son had put a sticky little fingerprint on the lens when grabbed the camera earlier that morning. Still, the little guy was thrilled to see the trains scurrying around the layout and so was his dad!
  10. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Actually, the double-f in Welsh spelling isn't related to the 'ff' as old version of capital-f in English spelling. Note that in the olde English usage both f's are lower case, but in Welsh (when required) the first-f is capitalized.
    In Welsh spelling since the early modern period (end 16th century onwards), a single 'f' has represented the /v/ sound, and a double 'ff' represents the /f/ sound. Modern Welsh spelling doesn't use the letter 'v'.
    So Ffestiniog should always have the double-ff and spellings with the single-f represent English spellings of Welsh names. The railway historically used an English spelling, but these days it uses both to recognize that it is situated in a predominately Welsh-speaking area. See also the change from older English spelt 'Carnarvon' or 'Caernarvon' to correct present day spelling of 'Caernarfon'. That city (also the northern terminus of the new Welsh Highland Railway) has a /v/ sound in the last syllable, but uses the correct Welsh spelling of a single-f (as used by the WHR by the way).:wave:
  11. ESE999

ESE999 Member

I was more into the bigger engines, Henry and Gordon (probably the American in me), even though they are so vain and arrogant (probably the French in me).
  12. ukon30fan

ukon30fan 0n30 Rail Baron of Leeds

Go on - buy all that TTTE stuff and then when the kids grow tired of them, look at all that 0n30 kit-bashing fodder you've got!
  13. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I was really surpised at the results of this poll hahaha.

I just picked up a gordon, now we have thomas and gordon and a coupel other things. Looking to get one more engine for uh ... the uh .. kids .. yeah :) the kids and then put dcc decoders in them all. That way they can roll onto my layout from theirs :).

I picked up a used zephyr and the neatest thing is i can program two throttles to addresses (my two boys and their thomas and gordon) and they can control them w/ the regular throttles all the way around daddy's layout :). It is the absolute coolest thing.

The bachman ho scale thomas are very well made, they run really well and are smooth and solidly built. My kids love them!! Especially the moving eyes.
  14. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

One nice thing about the Thomas series: you can put a 2-digit DCC chip in them and have a digit left over!
  15. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

You know what .... i didn't think about it but thomas doesn't have any lights or anythign!! so i can use a 2function decoder!!

Thanks!! hehehehe
  16. Cannonball

17. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Oh yeah...just got trackage rights from Sternly Hardcase at the dispatch.:thumb:

18. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Another 'poll that won't die' thread. :mrgreen:

I've been waiting to see if someone else would post, Shaygetz.
    I've had stick for dead-threading, but now I have an excuse.:rolleyes:

Of course I voted in favor of having Thomas and friends visit my layout. (When I build it.)

Worth a look? >>>

Nene Valley Railway - Thomas
    Bluebell Railway - Thomas - June 2007

19. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

When my son is old enough I'll start an OO layout with Thomas rollingstock etc.

Don't think I'll make it digital though because it will only be a small shelf layout around his room.
  20. I agree with that Thomas has undoubtedly introduced vast numbers of a new generation to model railroading; what's more, I'd go so far as to say that it has introduced them at a very sophisticated level - while the anthropomorphic equipment is fanciful, even it's based in reality. The modelling (as has already been mentioned), is outstanding. But the details, both physical and in story, are what really leave a lasting impression with me - it's quite obvious that the makers of the show (at least the many episodes I've seen - I haven't seen the newer computer generated stuff), are quite well versed in railroad operation and terminology. Little details like the headlight always being moved to the end of the locomotive moving forward (prototypical British practice), and the railroad speak used as part of the narrative; for example, note that Thomas doesn't go to 'see' the other locomotives, or 'visit' them: he 'meets' them:thumb: There are many other examples.