Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
  1. brakie

brakie Active Member

Peep! Peep!
  2. Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike Member

Sure - he's a very useful engine.
  3. Relic

Relic Member

I voted #2 but if my grandson was into trains it would be a different story.
    I also think that anyone that would run the cars that cane with that PC/Loblaws train set shouldn't say anything about poor Thomas
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I think a Thomas would do well on our club layout. Not for normal sessions but for open house and the spring thing we do for our local elementary schools. I'm sure the smaller kids would enjoy Thomas along with the MRL freight and the Empire Builder.
  5. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

You should add one more option. It should ask: Would you run a Thomas train if it ment a youngster would be interested in model trains. A friend of mine who has a 3 year old son. Love's Thomas. He loves it even more when he see's my trains running. To him, everything is Thomas!

6. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

thomas is what will keep this hobby alive,he will get our newest generation into modeling like lionels did for also shows relistic operations,they do everthing real trains do so its also educational.besides hes a cool lookin little engine!
  7. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

How about garden RR thomas

I have a G scale Thomas for my grandsons. Also HO scale which runs on my layout. Maybe I should get some pics. I keep it handy for when kids show up they love it. I ran it during open house for a while and got a great response from everyone including adult purists.:)
  8. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Not to be a sour-puss, but Thomas and friends will never ever run on my layout! Of course, as long as it is taking to get anything done, I sometimes wonder if ANY trains will ever be run on my layout.

I readily admit, however, that if I had children who were interested in Thomas and trains in general, then yeah, Thomas would be allowed. :D
  9. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

Has anyone seen the Thomas program!

Well I have a 13 month old Daughter and she loves the show, she's been watching it ever since we brought her home from the hosp. " poor kid". I thought the same thing, I didn't want him around my trains but then I started really paying attention to the show, what a layout! I'm pretty sure the trains are O-scale or OO-scale, anyways I bought her a Percy set it up in her room, around the walls. Then picked up a Thomas, Annie, Clarabell, and finally a James. Just the detail of the shows layout gave me total respect for Thomas, them or whom ever! So at least for my Daughter they'll run on my layout when it's done!
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Just finished adding an upper loop for Thomas and friends. Not only is this my Christmas platform, it also doubles as a portable display for train shows. Those great dept. store displays and the winter episodes of Thomas helped in the design.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Looks like a great addition to the layout. Keep the kids destracted while the adults run their toys as well. :D
  12. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

More Thomas

Hurry up Thomas you will get run over

Good friends

At the station

I think this one is Percy

Hope you enjoyed the pics.
  13. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

Okay, darn it, Lester, I like your pics, especially the first one. :)

But Thomas still doesn't have a place on my layout!;)
  14. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Nice pics Les! I especialy like the first one:D . As for me running Thomas and co., I personaly just want to run Mavis because my path to model railroading definently has her being a major part of it for she was my first wooden engine. She was my favorite for that reason and that I like that look of switchers for some reason (used to play a Lionel game and ALWAYS ran the switcher if I got the chance!:D ) It only seems right to me that my first loco gets to run on my first layout (whenever it gets done for that mattersign1 ), right? BTW Bachman is going to make a Mavis FYI
  15. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Wow, I will have to bookmark this thread for the day I ever get the Isle of Sodor up and running! I still have a LONG way to go. Have the trains and the track and a good amount of the scenery, but not the benchwork and foam. As soon as I get the $$$$$$ for that I will get a long way! Mathy is really ready to start, he talks about it every day.

We run both regular trains and thomas, but he really enjoys the thomas of course- being 4. I do have the video clip where the ROck Island was suffering and couldnt make it up the hill. Mathy took Thomas and had him push the ROck Island along. I think he has learned a lot about life and trains from the stories! :)

Of course I could do without the constant ringing of "Rubbish" "Fiddlesticks" and "I'm cross!" when I tell him to do something or explain why he should alter his behavior.
  16. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Be happy it's "Rubbish" and "Fiddlesticks" instead of some of the words he could be using. ;)
  17. Chris Beard

Chris Beard Member

I had only seen Thomas as a fleeting glance until Bob brought his "Thomas" to a train show. The kids followed him everywhere!

He has a place. Not on a run night at the club but other times okay.
  18. Chris Beard

Chris Beard Member

I am a Rock Island fan too.!
  19. jesso

jesso Member

Hey Lester.

That third picture is wrong. Annie always goes right after Thomas and Clarabel always looks where they have been. You aren't following the prototype.sign1Just kidding. Those are great pictures!
  20. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Hey, Chris, long time since I last seed you, hope you're fairing well.