Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
  1. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

Kudo's to the Hogwarts Express too. That got my wife interested in buying a train set! That's always a good thing!
  2. drakus

drakus New Member

I think if they came out with A Teddy Bear Express or something then my wife would get involved... For the time being, she just puts up with me and the kids in the dungeon as she calls it.

So for now I spend my money and stay away from hers!!

3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I think that Thomas is fine on a layout. One of the guys at the modular club ( has a decoder in the Bachmann version and runs him from time to time, especially at the events that are open to the public.

I agree with the comment about Thomas getting people into the hobby. Many of the "older" generation quote tinplate Lionel as what started them. For my generation, it was the Bachmann or Tyco train sets in HO. For the current generation, it will likely be Thomas & Friends. Kinda nice circle of completion, really - the original Thomas dates to the same (dare I say it? ;)) era as the Lionel stuff... :D

4. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

My girls love Thomas. They have quite a collection of the wooden trains and tracks. My six year old puts down some pretty neat little track work in the front room when they dig out the stuff to play. So I wouldn't have a problem dropping a Thomas loco on my tracks if the opprotunity presents itself. He'd have to be DCC though.
  5. drakus

drakus New Member

Yes I vaugley remember my old Tyco HO train way back ummm nevermind..:cry: But as I got older they go t to small. Yes granted, Thomas has been around for years upon years, it wasn't as popular as it is now. As long as the industry can keep the kids interested in the hobby, it will continue to grow.
  6. jesso

jesso Member

My 6 six year old daughter says that it is ok to run Thomas on my HO layout. On the N scale club layout, I had Thomas pulling a double-stack train, gave some of the other club members heart-attacks, but the kids were packed around the layout.

Attached Files:

• tap.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
  7. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

In Defense of Thomas

There are several reasons why I like Thomas. I'm not sure if I'm getting off-topic here, but here are the really good points about Thomas:

-- the Thomas stories were written by an avid railway fan, the Rev. Awdry.
    -- most -- if not all -- the engines, freight cars and coaches are based on real-life locos and coaches (for example, Thomas is an 'E3 Jinty' that was used around London and Sussex).
    -- Awdry's son and grandson have also become enthusiastic train people. Awdry's son (Christopher, I believe) has written several "non-children's" books on real-life British trains.
    -- one of the unique things about the Thomas stories is that the trains are usually depicted as performing activities that real trains do, and Awdry would write children's stories based on real-life railway events. The trains take on water, coal, carry freight and passengers, deliver mail, follow train signals, work in salt mines or dockyards, etc., just as in real life.
    -- think of all the kids & adults who got into model railways and rail-fanning because of the Thomas books!
    -- my two young sons really enjoy the Thomas books as well as real railways and model railroading.
    -- because of all this, I'm quite happy to run our "Thomas" and "Percy" around our layout!
  8. RobertInOntario

One more comment:

I've personally learned a few things about real-life railway operation through the Thomas books! For example, the books will sometimes explain why one of the trains is waiting at a certain signal, and how/why the signal changes.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I think this thread has convinced me I need to get an HO Thomas set.......
    For my daughter, of course. :D
  10. RobertInOntario

I agree with this. The shows are actually SOOO British, that they just don't sound right with an American narrator -- yes, I think the Ringo ones are the best. I think there's a "persona clash" with the newest narrator as well (I forget his name offhand). I just try not to think about it -- maybe I should hunt down some of the original Ringo ones at garage sales and on eBay, etc.

The models & scenery are great too. Sadly, I believe the more recent ones use computer graphics instead. While the computer graphics are great with neat special effects, I don't think they have the charm of the models and scenery.
  11. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Aren't the Ringo and Carlin narrated shows "Shining Time Station"? The Thomas we have on DVD are narrated by Alec Baldwin (good job actually) and the ones we currently see on TV are voiced by a British actor whose name I can't recall right now...

12. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

sign1 How did they have heart atacks? Were they scared about having a double stacker being pulled by a small loco with a face?:D
  13. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

You cannot resist....

14. My 3 year old son plays with the battery powered and wooden Thomas sets, and I see them as a tool for him to learn to treat model trains with more care than some of his other toys. At some point, I'll buy and HO Thomas set for him to run on my layout, and make sure that he understands the delicacy of the models before he's allowed to touch 'daddy's trains'.
  15. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Someone's already beaten you to the Idea Colton:D A fellow user by the name of "hiscopilot" is trying to make a large Sodor island for her son (he already has most of Bachman's stuff, still missing some trains). She also is custom building a roundhouse for the trains, and is trying to make a flatcar w/ a jet engine for her son (the Thomas episode where he's propeled by a jet engine is his favorite I hear).
  16. Cannonball

Stop that! You freak me out with that raspy Vader voice! :eek:

Actually, she has an HO set we got her for Christmas. It was a cheap Model Power set but it is compatible with Bachmann track. I looked at the Bachmann Thomas sets and we may end up getting her one on top of the other train stuff I'm buying with the tax refund this year.
  17. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Actualy, I think it's suposed to be Herc Driver's Voice, he's the one who first said itsign1 I think. As for getting Thomas stuff, there is one charicter I'd like on my layout and I will buy them or make them somehow, but I WILL GET THEM ON MY LAYOUT SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE:D !!!!
  18. Alan Bickley

Alan Bickley Member

Hmm, is it actually HO, though?
  19. Cannonball

You can get 'em in HO or OO.
  20. Cannonball

Oh, no..... Thomas comes in an O gauge set from Lionel as well.
    I wonder how I could justify that one to my wife? :D

Attached Files: