Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by CNWman, Jan 30, 2007.

Thomas the Tank Engine: Yes or No to normal running?

1. No, Thomas is a kid's toy, not real modeling

3 vote(s)
  2. I like Thomas, but wouldn't run him on my layout

13 vote(s)
  3. Yes, I have no problem with Thomas at all on my layout

50 vote(s)
  4. Who's Thomas the Tank Engine?

1 vote(s)
  1. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

After one of Shaygetz's posts,I got to wondering: Is Model Railroading to sophisticated for Thomas the Tank Engine? Sure there are more realistic trains out, but what does a little blue tank engine do to them? Just curious to see people's opinion on the subject
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

No no no......
    I'm already playing with toy trains.
    I can only be so childish before my wife starts looking at me funny. ;)
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

sign1 sign1 sign1

I agree with that, Thomas is good for little ones and on display tracks, not for the layout
  4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

hes still cool!!! i used too love him and so did my son,but we get older and understand the difference between prototypical and ...not.there comes a point in a childs life where more challenge is needed and true modelling brings this to them. but thomas will always be with me no matter how old i get.
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Which reminds me...anybody gotta line on the Tomix N scale Thomas, Annie and Clarabel new or used, hobbyshop or otherwise, with a good price, let me N scale layout's lookin' kinda naked without them:thumb:
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I suspect that in 15 years if you posted a thread asking what got people into model railroading you'd see an overwhelming number of responses that read "THOMAS!"

The show and the toys are probably the best boost for the hobby since the advent of electricity! :)
  7. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Actualy Ralph, that number may actualy be smaller. Some years ago, Lionel released the first TTTE toys for O gauge.
  8. radar

radar Member

I was just at my LHS looking at a thomas with moving eyes , wondering how or if I could get a decoder in him , sur would make my grand son happy me to cause he has batteried powered he brings in to the train and tries to run!
  9. C&O Steve

C&O Steve New Member

Is this one of those posts you make when bored and cant think of anything unsaid about trains? LOL...sign1
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I put one in mine as the guys at the club requested I do it. Running "OO" on the layout played havoc with the other decoders. It was pretty easy , mine being the Bachmann one. The roof pops off to reveal a circuit board, cut it out and wire the chip in its place.
  11. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

I say a train is a train.:D
  12. train1

train1 Member

I'm currently converting Thomas to Micro Trains so he's coupler compatible to my articulated auto-racks !
  13. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Sure why not? After all you can always take him off for protypical running and the kids sure love him.

14. jtloconut

jtloconut Member

My club takes our layout to 4 showes each year:D , I have thomas & james KIDS GO NUTTTTSSSS. i LOVE IT.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Prototypically, Thomas is limited to modern era modelling. (v. a day out with Thomas).
    I wouldn't have a problem with Thomas if someone brough him over. I already have the Hogwarts Express, and a friend converted a loco to Edward.
    And I was seriously looking a Melvin or whatever they called the A4 last week.
  16. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I'm with you on this one, David. My grandson brought his small Thomas over a couple of times: it's too small to run on the tracks, and it's not powered anyways, so we just loaded it on a flatcar and took him for a ride.:thumb: He's been running my trains since he was about 2 or so, and while he still likes Thomas, he makes-do with my locomotives now.
    Some of the people who think that Thomas is too toy-like probably haven't seen the videos: while the trains may be toylike, a lot of the scenery is top-notch. I like the early episodes best, with Ringo narrating. George Carlin isn't too bad, although everytime I hear him, I think of his "Seven words that...:curse: " sketch. Somehow, there's a clash between his two personas.:oops: :D :D

17. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Funny - I just read this thread and then remembered, that Thomas is on TV, in the morning program for kids. Now and then I'm watching it, too - so today I switched on the TV and watched another of these nice little stories. No violence, there's always a morale there - good for the kids. And yes, I firmly believe that many a boy or girl starts to look at trains differently. In bygone decades it was perhaps the Lionel train around the Christmas tree - today it could be Thomas and his friends who kicks off a model railroader career!

From the modelers point of view, I second Wayne! Just look at the landscape in the TV videos: There you can see some top notch modeling! Impeccable track, very realistic ground cover and vegetation. Today's episode featured a Winter scene with snowed-in tracks. The snow was extremely realistic, some of the best snow-modeling I've seen so far!
    My advice: Look Thomas on TV with your kids/grandchildren, and while they become excited about the storyline, you can enjoy the excellent layout modeling!

18. Alan Bickley

Alan Bickley Member

I remember reading somewhere that the producers of the TV show made everything using O scale equipment. As for the debate on scale modelling, I visit a lot of exhibitions in my area and more often than not, there's a "Thomas" layout tucked away in a corner with (over)excited kids looking at it. The trouble with that is that those kids will come away looking to have their own layouts and the only thing available to them that has Thomas in will be the Hornby OO sets. So there's a scale modelling descrepency right away, and as OO has such a foothold in the UK market, these future modellers will stick with this compromised scale!
  19. brakie

brakie Active Member

NO! Unless I was modeling a railroad museum and wanted a "Day out with Thomas" scene..I do think Thomas has done more to expose the hobby to young children then any organization.
  20. drakus

drakus New Member

If it wasn't for Thomas, I do not htink that my kids would even be involved in the trains. So hi 5's to Thomas for helping the younge generation to get involved!!