Thomas tank engine table I built

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
I wanted to buy my son one of those wooden railway setups for Xmas, (he loves Thomas). Yes, I know they are full of lead paint, but even worse just the table cost nearly 300 bucks!!!! By the time we would have bought the table we wouldnt have anything left for the engines, cars, track, buildings etc..... I figured we could buy the accessories, and I could build the table, so heres what I came up with.....final cost was about 65 bucks, and I know theres no lead paint in this table......The whole thing was designed and built from scratch, and Im very pleased with the results..

Attachments

• traintable1.jpg
    traintable1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
  • traintable2.jpg
    traintable2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 7

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Beautiful job on the table. We bought one of those tables about 5 years ago and my two boys have definitely gotten a lot of use out of it. It appears you are lacking one final corner to finish off the layout.

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
yeah, I still have a little finish work to do, Im going to have to modify a piece of track to finish the corner, and Im debating whether its worth it fill the screwholes....I countersunk them in case I wanted to, but hes 2 I think he'll get over it if I dont, thanks for the compliment

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Your's looks quite a bit better than the prefab ones, great work!! How long did it take you to build it, and what did you use for the rails on the draw?

I think the draw idea is awesome i may try to integrate something like that into my kid's layout so they can put their trains away.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Not a bad job on the table at all. My daughter has a bunch of Thomas stuff (luckily none of the recalled stuff), but a bunch or the Recalled Dora the Explorer figures. As long as they don't put the things in their mouth, they should be fine. My daughter's six, so not much other than her fingers go in her mouth anymore.:mrgreen:

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
the table took a couple weekends when I wasnt wiring, the drawer slides are just the type that go on kitchen drawers, metal rails with a wheel at either end, nothing fancy..........