Thomas returns to the RnK!

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thomas the Tank engine, after a prolonged absence due to mechanical problems, returned to the Rory & Kristi Railroad the day before yesterday. Excited crowds (Rory and his son, Bryan) enjoyed watching Thomas "go 'round" the lay...er...railroad.

-Rory

Attachments

• thomas2.jpg
    thomas2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 98

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I've added a few more trees to the hill. It is still a little less than 50% covered, but the forest is thicker now. I wish I could get clearer pictures with my camera! The trees really look a lot better than the photos show!

-Rory

Attachments

• acrosstown1.jpg
    acrosstown1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 96

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Here is a water tower I built. The tank is made of little strips of wood glued around a section of paper towel roll (reinforced in the center with a medicine bottle surrounded by shims). The spout was hand-carved from a piece of a dowel. I used the ladders from two plastic billboards (that came with a train set) to make the ladder on the side. Again, I wish my camera took better pictures...

-Rory

Attachments

• watertower.jpg
    watertower.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 103

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Everything looks great Rory!
I really like the street-level shot. How did you make your streets, curbs, & sidewalks?
Beautiful trees! :cool:

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks for the compliments, Charlie.

To make the roads, I built a frame in the shape of the road system using N-scale 6" x 6" lumber, gluing the pieces down to the foam with wood glue. I poured a thin mixture of plaster of Paris into the form. After the plaster dried I smoothed it out with fine sand paper, then painted on Woodland Scenics Concrete Top Coat. I removed some of the scale lumber, leaving behind the rest to serve as curbs.

The sidewalk is a strip of N-scale AMI Instant Roadbed that has been scored and painted (like they show on their website). The thin black line along the curb and on the edge facing the camera near the lower-right corner of the second picture need touching up. It was one of those little details that I was going to "take care of," but forgot. The lamp posts came with an N-scale train set I bought a while back. I clipped the bases off of them, painted them, then stuck 'em into the Instant Roadbed. Amazing stuff, that Instant Roadbed!

I still need to put in some driveways and parking lots. I also want to put a fence around the school house. I put in a sidewalk (plaster) from the curb to the school, and put strips of green lichen cut into hedges along each side. I attached a picture of it...

-Rory

Attachments

• schoolhouse.jpg
    schoolhouse.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 97

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Rory,
If any of the kids in that school are railfans, I'll bet they spend a lot of time staring out the window!:)