This'll have 'em slammin' their heads in a door....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaygetz

You just know the rivet counters are gonna be dying, especially when they see the headlights....

"Come on now and meet everybody,

and hear us singin'...

ain't nothin better than bein' together...

when we're singin'...."

Attachments

• bus3.jpg
    bus3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 312

shaygetz

Billy Joe Ray Bob was caught sneeking it out of the shop shortly after the finishing touches were added....

Attachments

• busB.jpg
    busB.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 279

shaygetz

after all, couldn't you imagine the razzing the shoprats would give him seeing this on the bumper....

Attachments

• busA.jpg
    busA.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 351

shaygetz

Shortly after that, Harley Rabidmouth, the shop steward was seen assigning "volunteers" to take it out on the main for a little breaking in.

Attachments

• busD.jpg
    busD.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 311

shaygetz

A closer view of the final touchups, including "cowcatcher" pilot, doorstep and paint. I'll be posting pics of it running under full lights at the club layout shortly.

Attachments

• busC (2).jpg
    busC (2).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 344

shaygetz

Thanks guys. Gary, the ground cover is parking lot dirt demagnetized and mixed with various manufactured ground covers sifted over it thru old grated cheese canisters.

The truck is my first serious kitbash from about 11 years ago. While it follows no particular prototype, it captures the look of a hi-railer parked near my house at the time.

Attachments

• hirail1 (3).jpg
    hirail1 (3).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 253

shaygetz

The cab is Tyco, the frame, front wheels and (chrome plated no less:eek: )stake body came from a birthday party favor, the rear wheels and fuel tanks are Athearn. Hi-railer wheels came from N scale junk in my box. After I weathered the wheels, I lightly drybrushed silver over everything to highlight the details...just a fun project that got me started back in the hobby after a 2 year hiatus.

Attachments

• hirail2 (2).jpg
    hirail2 (2).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 269

shaygetz

Ho Modeler said:
Shay
Can I ask how you built you electrical pickups on the trucks for your bus????
I am in dier neeeeedd to repair an old engine missing itst electrical pickups in its tender.
Maybe a walk through and pictures?
Eric

No problem, I use the bronze contacters supplied with Rix Rax switch machines as a starting point, bending them like so...

Attachments

• wipers1.jpg
    wipers1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 261

shaygetz

Then I cut contacts that just reach the inside of the wheels, making sure to crimp the ends slightly so that only they make contact with the wheel. I then polish them with a very fine emery cloth to reduce burrs. I cut the soldering point as short as necessary, shown here flattened for clarity.

Attachments

• wipers2.jpg
    wipers2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 306

shaygetz

I drill the bolster for mounting screws and solder the lead to its respective wiper.

Attachments

• wipers3.jpg
    wipers3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 267

shaygetz

I color exposed metal with a permanent marker, then tinker and adjust using patience and powdered graphite 'til its freewheeling with good contact. It should be pretty easy to modify this to fit your needs. Let me know if this works out or drop me a PM for any other questions.

Attachments

• wipers4.jpg
    wipers4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 253

shaygetz

PM or email me a snail mailing address and I'll send you some to try. Other than that, K&S Metal Products (usually found in a small rack at Hobby Lobbies and Ace Hardware stores) sells brass and copper shim stock in a variety of thicknesses that can be cut to size with a good pair of scissors.

Status
Not open for further replies.