This time it'a not Amtrak's fault!!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
thats horrible,i cant beleaive that.it sounds like she was crossing it and the gates kinad trapped her in it.oh well,sadly bad things like this happen everyday....--josh

boppa

i cant believe that some drivers are so stupid as to get into that situation in the first place?? are they that desperate to `get there' that they cant stop and wait until there is enough room for them to proceed onto the other side

btw if you get caught doing what she did here in nsw, australia- thats a 500 buck fine, possible suspension of driving liscence for 3 months and 6 demerit points off your lisc (12 points in 3 years and you lose your lisc automatically)

(edit to add)

that is for simply proceeding onto a level crossing without having space to exit it btw...
if you did it and actually got hit by a train(and survived)...you would be slugged with some major fines( afaik it was around 20 grand a couple of years ago, dont know what it is currently but likely much more by now) and you could possibly be paying for all the losses involved by all parties affected if you were to be found at fault (and that could run into millions!!)

jbaakko

I think there SHOULD be a fine/point system for people who stop on the tracks, or in the front of a fire station for that matter (who's seen this).

But then again, I do feel sorry for her & her family.

brakie

Unbelievable! Anybody knows to pull ahead when gates come down because both gates does not block passage as any gate runner can tell you...
I feel sorry for the family and of course the train crew that could do nothing but watch it unfold.:(

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Now that I've had time to think about it.... She just didn't think.... That SUV could have torn off the arm of the crossing bar.... Or at least bent it out of the way....

It was one of those situations, where you only have a few seconds to make a decision.. and the train horn blaring - most likely didn't help....

who_dat73

I was fanning the other day and was talking to the brakman about 30 feet from the crossing and a van stopped right in the middel of the crossing and sat for probly 5 min talking to a ped just as he radioed the driver to hit the horn he decided to finally move off the tracks. Talk about stupid
:confused: