This section needs a build thread - Modelik MAN box truck

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by modelperry, Jul 9, 2008.

1. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Greg, I can see that you didn't paint the edges on all those pieces. Is that OK? I mean, are they suppose to go like that?

I ask because I'm used to paint ALL edges, no matter what.
  2. modelperry

modelperry Member

Some of the edges will get touched up. I do edge coloring as needed based on my eye. Some of the edges pop more for the camera than my eye. I do not color edges that are definitely going to be a mating surface for another piece.

3. modelperry

modelperry Member

Progress has slowed due to personal stuff (Kid #1 going to college and a bunch of in-law crap my wife and I have to deal with).

Nevertheless here are some photos of the cab with sheet (metal) paper installed. (yes I already know about the edges - they will be attended to in a bit).

Some issues with this:

you can use the rear window opening of the interior wall as a template for making a clear window, but you cannot do the same for the front. The front window should be the same size as the outside dimensions of the trim ring that goes around it on the outside.

Also the rear interior wall is printed a bit off center, so the window opening and engine cutout do not match the outside wall piece and needs to be trimmed.

Attached Files:

4. modelperry

modelperry Member

Here are more cab pictures. Progress is still slow due to continuing in-law crap.

I took the front bumper off, trimmed the bumper mounts and reinstall it to move it closer to the cab. It didn't look right where it was. I probably could have moved it back some more, but it looks way better than before.

I think my axle spring reinforcement mistake from earlier on makes the truck sit too low compared to the prototype. But I think it looks kind of cool with its "in the weeds" look.

Next up is the cargo box. I have started the floor now. I've had to modify the torque box rails to clear one of the frame cross members at the front.

Sorry about the pdf photos. For whatever reason I couldn't get my jpeg files to download.

Attached Files:

5. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Great build! - I like the wheels

6. modelperry

modelperry Member

Well, things are crazy here in my little portion of Pennsylvania. While I have been able to work on my truck, the craziness has affected my ability to post anything. The truck is actually done.

The build of the box went relatively smoothly. The only real issue that needs to be corrected when building the box is on the inside front wall. The inside wall is laminated onto cardboard and is actually 1mm too high to allow a proper fit of the floor. This means that you need to trim it by 1mm at the top before attaching it to the outside wall skin. I didn't catch this until afterwards and ended up carefully slicing 1mm from the bottom. The fit was good then, but the graphics did not line up with the side wall after installation.

The box door hinges and latches were a bit fiddly. They are supposed to be functional, but I'm afraid to try them out.

I really enjoyed this build and would recommend it to those with some experience.

Attached Files:

7. tomazs

tomazs New Member

Awesome:eek: Great build :thumb:
  8. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Great build of a lovely model - Well done!

9. David H

David H Member

Awesome stuff, and such speed!

I know that if i needed a truck building fast you would be the man for the job.

10. modelperry

modelperry Member

Thanks for all the compliments. I have already started my next project. I will probably just show the finished project and include a short review of the kit I'm building now. It will be posted in the Aircraft Section.

11. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

So, where's the paper? :)