This is the robot I'd like to build

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by BARX2, Jun 5, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Anyone know of a card model of Maria, the robot from the movie Metropolis?
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

One of the best movies ever. That would be a great model. The movie is striking considering the time (era) it was made in.
  3. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Come to think of it I can't remember seeing a good C3PO anywhere? I have seen several R2's but no C3's, would be a hard beast to make in paper but it could be done I reckon.
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I think I read somewhere that C3PO was modeled after Maria.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

He's in the list. Once I have a 1/6 scaled figure that can stand, I will have my base for 3 designs of which a certain law enforcement officer of robotic origin is currently being hashed out.

You sir have read correctly.

Also in a non-robot and non-maria related tidbit the characters of R2 and 3PO were inspired by the characters Tahei (Minoru Chiaki) and Matakishi (Kamatari Fujiwara) from the black and white Kurosawa movie 'The Hidden Fortress'. One of many great Kurosawa films created. A MUST see.

Back to the topic. I can only assume that once I can get the figure to stand and edit it... I can make a Maria figure in 1/6. I don't think I want to go smaller or larger.

BTW. The figure is my current project. :)
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Bless you, sir. :grin:
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Try filling the base/feet and legs with the very fine sand they sell at most craft stores.
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Man She Was A Real Looker!

Metro. was one that We missed in the list of got to haves. I would love to do that one too! So many targets, (Not enough Ammo)! Thanks for bringing up this major hole in the list of the greats!

9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Here's a picture that answers a question I had about the film - whether the robot was an actress wearing a costume.
  10. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

By the way, in case anyone interested in this film doesn't know it, a restored version of Metropolis was released around 2002. It's really very good, the only fault (in my opinion) is that the restorers did not adjust for the different frame speed used in the 20s (so everything is a bit fast and jerky).

The DVD comes with a short documentary about how they did some of the special effects -- absolutely amazing!
  11. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Hey, BARX2, if you go to the Pepakura site, and look at the latest post in the Japanese users works, I think you'll get a nice surprise.

12. Its frustrating to see it right there on the Pepakura site without a valid link to the model... There a nice EVA POD on there too... what's that from? Is that the "Big Geek" from the movie The Abyss?
  13. halfchips

halfchips New Member

if you double click the 317??????????????(642kb) link this will open a window then if you right click that window and save link as this will download the file sort of well you get a page of bits but i dont know if these are the right ones to print out
  14. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thanks! That's great. Wow, that is a surprise. Not sure how to use the file, but I can figure it out. :mrgreen:
  15. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Any chance someone could provide a link? I looked all over and since I don't read Japanese, needless to say, I got very lost.sign1
  16. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Here you go: ranking

Maybe someone can tell me how to use the file. Do you need to load it into Pepakura viewer to create glue tabs - or make your own?
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

If you look on the left you see a picture of Maria, on the lower right are some characters and next to that is a download symbol. If you click on the link, the model will load as a page......

There's also a 2001 pod and a time machine on that page.
  18. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Hey, BARX2, the file is a jpg. As halfchips said, just click the link: ranking

A small window will open, just right click on the file displayed, and there you go.

19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Some diagrams would be very useful to help sort out all of the small parts. It looks to be a complex build. Now if someone would design the Iron Giant and Robbie. :wink:
  20. The IRON GIANT! What an idea! And the bots from Castle in the Sky (if they have a name, I forgot it)