this a pre or postwar marx engine?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

MARX MARLINES Tinplate CP Style Electric LOCOMOTIVE

Attached Files:

2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

hmm, guess know one
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Doesn't it have some kind of number or identification on it other than Marx?

4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

nope, om the back it just says "made in the united states by marx toys"
  5. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Post war, you can tell by the rods and drivers.

I am pretty sure.

Google up some marx sites.
  6. Marxed

Marxed Member

even i, the marxed man ain't 100% sure... theres a lack of good sources on marx trains. i have the same train with different markings. i'm thinking postwar due to the styling and build as compared to my other marxs, i never really stoped to think about that engine... but who knows!
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i guess it dont matter to me what it is, as long as it runs, but i like to know what the history of my trains is. its fun to know what years they was made, and be nice to beable to tell others when they ask.

i only gave 16.00 for it, i will see how well it will run when it gets

i thought about repainting it, what do ya think? new paint or leave it as it is?
  8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

My guess is post WWII but no later than the early fifties. I had a late fifties Marx engine and it was die cast with those drivers. Is there a tender with it? If it's in that condition as the picture shows, I'd leave it alone. If you repaint it, any collectors value will be lost. If you want a pristene engine for your railroad the body looks to be in good shape as far as dents go, paint it. It's a personal choice and your railroad. :D

Greg Elems
  9. Marxed

Marxed Member

marx never die, it will run strong! :D