Thinking Of Selling Most of My Stuff.....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

And going for trolleys.

I know I won't get back what I've put into it but after watching that little Industrial Rail trolley run through the new layout, I know what looks at home and what doesn't. This layout just screams for trolleys.

I would probably keep the Beeps and my original train set. The Marx are just too fast for it and I'm affraid they'll go airborne off there. I'd hate giving up the 666 but I don't think I'd have any problems selling the 490 set.

I've got a ton of switches I'm not using now that are gonna have to move as well.

Then I start looking for trolleys.
  2. Geno

Geno Member

You are discovering what all of have at one point or another- the larger curves work better, especially if you want to run scale equipment or give your semi-scale trains a chance to stay on the rails.

Trolleys are OK, but I think you'll get tired of just running only that type of train.

I'd keep what you have, and get some 042 curves. Yes, more real estate is required, but at least your trains will look better and stay on the rails.

3. Cannonball

"More real estate" isn't an option unless I move out to the garage or the basement and neither are in good enough condition to house trains. The garage is fixable but not when you're borderline broke. (Maybe if I'd quit buying so many trains? :rolleyes: )

The curves really don't bother me.
    O gauge just needs space to run and it's space I don't have.
    It doesn't help when I'm trying to cram ideas for a 12x20 L shaped layout into a 4x8.
  4. Marxed

Marxed Member

if you sell your marx, i'll never talk to you again... unless if i buy them... but i don't got any money.... just keep your trains and put them under your platform, most people change layouts and desired trains all the time. in no time you will be wanting to run them again!!!

announce1 KEEP YOUR MARX!!!!! :thumb:
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Well I am looking for Marx locomotives to do a train wreck video. I think it would be great action to have two locomotives slam into each other at high speeds.

Ok what to do because you have 0-27 curves on a 4X8 layout. The first thing I would do is to keep what you have if you like it. Next is to make some modifications while using the space you have. Now this is subject that you really do what to run more than a trolley after all there has been many generations running nothing but 0-27 with great results.

Adding a straight between the curves can work miracles. Adjusting the slope or length even at the expense of taking a few of the siding out can help. When you get down to it a 4X8 layout is the right size when you have the right track plan. Another possibility is to add just a little more room and making it a 4.6 x 8.6 size layout.

[FONT=&quot]Another thought is that the Marx hasn’t crashed yet so just keep it running and accept the fact that you will need to be on the throttle control 100% of the time.[/FONT]
  6. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

cannonball come over to the dark side, sell it all and go with HO lol
  7. Cannonball

If I did that, I'd go even darker and take up N gauge. :p
  8. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Don't get too carried away . Think things over for a couple of months and then see how you feel. And by the way, HO and N scale models in small spaces do work well. I know that seems like a cruel statement to you Lionel folks but its true. First thing you need to do if you go to scale is forget that third rail.
  9. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Not if you model HOn something:D
  10. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I second the advice to box up your stuff and store it under the layout. I have done that, glad I didn't sell it all. Also, if you have too many switches they box up well too. :D Also if you do a trolley layout, switches are needed.

11. Cannonball

I will probably keep the 666, but I'm going to sell the set with the 490 in it. It doesn't work with the layout anyway since I have Lionel switches and it's got that fat wheel thing going on.

Even if I don't sell off the rest of the trains, some of these switches and extra crap have to go. I'm not even sure I'm keeping the uncoupling tracks. I just can't get into operations that much. I use sidings more for storing/displaying extra cars than anything else.
  12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

CB, one way you can help if you're derailing on a tight curve is to ease into them. Instead of going around the corner with a straight-O27-O27-straight, sub in an O54-O27-O54. It takes roughly the same amount of space (you may need to cut a couple of straights as fitter sections). The locomotives go through the O27 curve a lot more easily if they've eased into it, rather than slamming into a sharp curve right from a straight. O72-O27-O72 supposedly worked even better, but it's getting really hard to find the K-Line O27-profile O72s. :(

Also, if you wanted to get fancy with your wiring, it should be possible to automatically drop the power on the way down from the elevated portion. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to explain the wiring.
  13. Cannonball

I think most everyone has missed the point of my first post and sidetracked me in the process. It's not about derailments. It's about aesthetics. A long frieght train just doesn't look right on here where the trolley looks right at home. Perhaps a passenger line would make more sense than freight. But passenger cars are expensive! The only N&W set I've seen comes from Lionel and is something like $180.00..... And probably too long for my O27 curves anyway.

And I really, really do not want to tear this thing appart and start over.
  14. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) That is a real cool layout. Only you know what looks good on your layout so if it is a trolley then it is a trolley. :)

I just like the post war look and feel to the layout and I will enjoy what ever you want to run on it.
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

o72's are not hard to find, most LHS's dont stock them but they all can get them. lots of online places do have them in stock tho.

and k-line and lionel , and marx 027 is all the same, i have all three, AND, AND, AND, (this is the cool part) you can hook gargraves track right to 027. same pins. same hight and all.

16. Cannonball

Did some playing around today.
    Found one hink in the track I'm trying to get rid of.

Also found out that RMT is now making coal hoppers for the Beeps.
    They might make a better fit than the Lionel cars.
    Perhaps mixing the two together.
    I kow I've got one Lionel 4 bay hopper that is WAY too long.

I wish RMT would make a Norfolk & Western passenger set though.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

oh, oh, but you said you was just going to run

your like me,,, keep changing my mind on layouts....... i keep going back and forth on things.
  18. Cannonball

In a week I'll probably want to tear the whole thing down and start running N gauge.

19. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I think trolleys and Beeps make a nice mix. Lionel has a two bay open hopper, 8" or 9" long and a string of them look nice. The post war ones with plastic trucks, black and lettered for Leigh Valley used to be so cheap I cut them down to make small ballast hoppers. Some of the real cheap ones came in other colors and had fixed couplers and were even cheaper. I usually went for the LV ones because most of the ones I saw had working couplers. Nice thing about these trains, they don't mind sitting in boxes. :D
    Every now and then I used to dig mine out and set up a floor layout for my boys. Anyway should you go to N scale you will certainly have a nice sized area to start with.

20. Cannonball

I just painted a Leigh Valley Hopper black not too long ago. My original intent was to put N&W decals on it but I still can't get the hang of the stupid decals so it just rides around unmarked for now.

The two bay hoppers work well but the 4 bay is just too freakin' long.