Thinking About Jumping To N Gauge

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I've been thinking about dumping most of my O27 stuff and going to N gauge models. I've also gotten an HO set for my daughter for Christmas but the thought has crossed my mind to take it back and get her an N gauge set as well. It just seems like we could do so much more with N gauge considering the limited space we have. (Building O27 layouts on a 3x6 door is rather confining.)

Any tips to "downsizing" so to speak?
How easy is Flextrack to use as far as doing layouts? Can it be cut to length if need be?
How tight of a radius can I get with N scale track before I have to worry about derailments?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Yeah, I imagine an O27 layout in 3x6 would limit your options quite a bit.

N is a whole different animal. You can "downsize" most HO layouts to roughly half (HO=1:87, N=1:160) but it won't be exact. If you're limited to just 3x6, there are tons of N scale trackplans to fit that size, or also door layouts.

Flextrack can be cut to size, yes. It's more difficult than sectional track, but for obvious reasons, there isn't as much soldering. Minimum radius opinions vary, but generally 9 3/4" or 11" are about as small as you can comfortably go.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
2-8-2 said:
Yeah, I imagine an O27 layout in 3x6 would limit your options quite a bit.

N is a whole different animal. You can "downsize" most HO layouts to roughly half (HO=1:87, N=1:160) but it won't be exact. If you're limited to just 3x6, there are tons of N scale trackplans to fit that size, or also door layouts.

Flextrack can be cut to size, yes. It's more difficult than sectional track, but for obvious reasons, there isn't as much soldering. Minimum radius opinions vary, but generally 9 3/4" or 11" are about as small as you can comfortably go.
Thanks. :)
I have found a few track layouts that fit with the current gauges I'm working with and are at least moderately interesting. I think I may do a couple of permant doorway layouts for the O27 and HO then get rid of whatever extra stuff I have laying around. (I actually have enough O27 track to fill a basement if I had one) Then I can start on an N gauge project that will really rock.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
There's another thread in the archives today, titled NS or brass track? There is a lot of discussion about flex track etc. You might want to look at it. I have to agree with others that N scale is a good limited space scale. Hope the god of HO scale doesn't strike me down for that comment. Heresy

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
For my N scale empire, I use a minimum radius of 11", however, at the club, the newer (longer) equipment looks better on 19" minimum radius. HO suggested minimum is 18".

If I were starting over, I would take an HO track plan and copy it directly to N scale. That way, the 18" radius curves would allow you to run longer cars and bigger steam and deisel locomotives.

The nice thing about N scale is that you can have more room for scenery and buildings. The layout looks more realistic and less like a spaghetti track.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
man, your jumping from O to N?, i kinda did that, but i jumped from HO, to 0/0-27 TO save space, as ho takes 4 feet to turn around, and my old lionels takes just over 2 feet to turn around....lol, now i had just jumpd from 0 to N. but im keeping my 0 stuff going to run them on a shelf around a room or to, or 3, or 4........lol

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I was planning on jumping from N to HO for my next layout, but I decided to stick with N. You can do a lot more in N-scale in smaller spaces (ie: a bedroom) than HO, and I already have a bunch on N-scale buildings, rolling stock, etc I can recycle :)

Power to the N! :D

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Cannonball: If you are, as you say, primarily interested in running trains as opposed to getting into layout building, I would suggest going with Kato Unitrack. It's sectional, with roadbed and can be disassembled for storage. It can also be nailed down for a more permanent situation and even have ballast added if thats your pleasure. It doesn't sound like you are too concerned about getting into the nitty gritty of model railroading at this time.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
Cannonball: If you are, as you say, primarily interested in running trains as opposed to getting into layout building, I would suggest going with Kato Unitrack. It's sectional, with roadbed and can be disassembled for storage. It can also be nailed down for a more permanent situation and even have ballast added if thats your pleasure. It doesn't sound like you are too concerned about getting into the nitty gritty of model railroading at this time.

Actually, I've thought long and hard about getting one of these layout kits just to make a simple scene layout.
REALLY pricey though.

http://www.billandwalt.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2397
http://www.billandwalt.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2394

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
Yep, you gotta pay for somebody else's time and labor. You could go a long ways toward building your own for that price.
Those are kits, actually. They just have all the stuff needed to make a predesigned layout.
(Although, I'm sure somebody's time labor went into designing the thing.)
I don't think I've seen anything prebuilt.... I would have probably bought it already. :D ;)
I dunno. I'd like to have a nice layout. I just don't want to spend hours upon hours making it when the trains could be running. I don't want to pay several hundred dollars on one either. (There's that I want what I want when I want it and I want it now personality coming out again. :eek:ops: )

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Cannonball: Do what ya gotta do. People here on The Gauge have offered you good common sense answers to most of your questions. Its up to you to make decisions that fit your budget and personality.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Don't forget that the price only includes the bench, track and scenery. You'll have to add the price of some controller ( DC or DCC ) + the locomotives, rolling stock, buildings, cars, people etc..
And you'll loose the satisfaction of saying to yourself: "It's just a small layout but I did it myself"
But as Jim Krause mentione: Do what ya gotta do.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
Cannonball: Do what ya gotta do. People here on The Gauge have offered you good common sense answers to most of your questions. Its up to you to make decisions that fit your budget and personality.
Biased turkey said:
Don't forget that the price only includes the bench, track and scenery. You'll have to add the price of some controller ( DC or DCC ) + the locomotives, rolling stock, buildings, cars, people etc.. And you'll loose the satisfaction of saying to yourself: "It's just a small layout but I did it myself" But as Jim Krause mentione: Do what ya gotta do.
You're both equally right.
These kits are way beyond my budget at this point anyway.