Thinking about buying-HELP!

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Nitram68, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

I have 2 nitro trucks so I have a little experience with the engines and now I would like to try a nitro boat. Can I get some recommendations on a good starter,I have some cash but on the other hand I don't want to sell any body parts to afford one either. HELP?
  2. svantil2001

svantil2001 Member

Good starter boat Traxxas Nitro V
  3. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

svantil2001- Is the Nitro-V a relatively fast boat or is it better for handling?
  4. Steve M

Steve M Member

There are two basic categories of nitro boats from my point of view. The first is the 'play' types like the RTR Traxxas kits and several other brands. These kits tend to be .12 to .15 size hulls with pullstart motors and are fine if you want to play at the cottage. If, on the other hand, you want real speed and are considering racing then look elsewhere.

If you want a V style hull (also known as a Mono) then I can highly recommend a Seaducer hull. These are fiberglass or Kevlar construction and are pure racing hulls. Don't think that because these are race hulls that they are hard to drive. The opposite is in fact true and they are fabulous boats, easy to assemble and run. Try the smaller 20 (3.5cc) size and be ready for awesome speeds.

Outboards are neat as the motor and drive unit is all contained in one piece. These simply bolt onto the back of the hull (transom) and work just like a full size outboard. They aren't as fast as an inboard hull but are easy to rig.

Hydroplanes or outriggers are the fastest of all and would be best left until after you have some experience.
  5. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

SteveM,Thanks for the input on this! For now I think I'll get the hands on experience with the moderately priced stuff before going all out. Maybe I'll consider racing later.:D
  6. svantil2001

svantil2001 Member

if you start out with a outboard boat be careful with set up of engine I have seen to many times tunnels take off like rockets
    because of trim settings on the engine

I would start out with an inboard boat and it all depends on what you want to spend
    Ive got boats any where from $500 to $3500
  7. Nitram68

Nitram68 Member

-svantil2001-Thanks for the reply but it seems the more people I talk to it comes down to the Nitro-V for a starter. Thanks ALL for the input!:D
  8. Ron Olson

Ron Olson Member

Not my choice for a beginners boat. I've been really impressed with the Nitro Hammer, a fast boat and cheaper than the Nitro-Vee! The Traxxas has a lot of unneeded extra weight which really slows down an underpowered hull.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.