Think Jays Galactica is lonely, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master-Bruce

I have room. However, I have a wife who isn't too fond of "silly spaceships". So I have to limit what I actually display. Plus I have 3 kids with curious minds and a tight grip, so I try to keep what I have out of reach which limits where I can display models.

For my 3' Battlestars I have to come up with a way to show them without causing the missus too much stress and also keep them away from the little ones.

Oh, I miss the days when I wasn't so under the thumb!! LOL!

Master-Bruce

I don't get it. I sent Nothing the mesh and texture for it. The texture works for me when I try it. The mesh is a 3DS and the texture map is a JPEG.

SJ, I could send that to you, see if it works for you??

OR, as I have them and it works for me, I could cover the Defender at my end. The intersection is so minimal it doesn't matter I think. Only a thought, I don't want to take this one away from Nothing. :)
EDIT:

Here's a pic of the Defender in Pep, with the textures applied. I think if I remember right, Nothing is trying to add different textures to the Defender mesh. Not adding the ones that were created for it. I could be mistaken. They are nice textures too, well, they both are.
Image1.jpg

sjsquirrel

Need nothing

I don't get it. I sent Nothing the mesh and texture for it. The texture works for me when I try it. The mesh is a 3DS and the texture map is a JPEG.

SJ, I could send that to you, see if it works for you??

OR, as I have them and it works for me, I could cover the Defender at my end.

I need to see what nothing is using. I suspect after a conversion or something it's simply lost it's texture data, in which case he'd have to start over. Maybe I should just let it slide, but I like to solve those kinds of problems since it's what I do for a living (IT support). Sometimes I don't know when to quit. I've contacted nothing off-list and we'll maybe work on it offline.

In the meantime, nothing already said we should go ahead with the defender, so have a go at it and see how far you get. If you can do it as-is it'll save me time. If you need anything let me know.

SJ

C

cgutzmer

We are still working on that resolution. Sorry, been busy as heck at work as of late :(

there is still a 2 mb limit in place and its not easy to overcome. I believe its at or near the top of Peters list now though so it shouldnt be too much longer.

One thing that can be done is if you have someplace that will host it offsite you can upload to that site then go to the download section here and ratehr than choose the upload option choose the link to a file option. You need the EXACT size though. After the problem is resolved we can go back through and upload them here using upload so that they are actually hosted here. That way you will still have them hosted elsewhere plus here - like you said every little bit helps!
Thanks
Chris

Nothing

Longtime Member
its ok go ahead with the defender. i would like someone to send me a differnt one and see if i have the same problem.

Master-Bruce

I can send you another mesh but the thing is, all mine have intersection so you could use one as a test to see if the textures will work but wouldn't be able to use it as a papermodel.

The Defender has intersection too. :( I let SJ know about it.

Master-Bruce

I know but there's one area that causes a problem.
Intersct1.jpg
I don't know how to get around this so I informed SJ about it. Unfolding I can do, modelling I can do, but editing an existing mesh like this I'm clueless.

Master-Bruce

SJ sorted out that interection and sent me the revised mesh. :)

I've been working at it for the last 2 hrs and here's where I am at the mo:
Image2.jpg
There's one point of intersection that remains and that's on a large canon located on the underside of the "head". You can see the canon in the above pic. There are several cylinders that run through the barrel. I figured this can be remedied by cutting holes in the cylinder ends before assembling them, then slipping them through the assembled barrel.

Now I've started this, and unfolded it at what I think will be a nice size(not 3' long!!), but if people want the smaller flack guns to be buildable then this may need to be bigger still. Either that or people can either not include them in their build or deal with the tiny-ness of the parts and tabs.

What's the general say here??

Anyway, I'm off to crack on with it some more. :)

Nothing

Longtime Member
looks good to me. if people whant to build the one that is actually in the fleet they need to lose the turrets and flight pod anyhow. i would like to see someone build a large one with the turrets.

Master-Bruce

Yeah, it's not ideal due to the thickness of the edges. Would you have done it differently? Originally, I had the coming out from the front like spider legs but though it would have caused problems too. Then switched it to what you have now to try and make it easier.

What do you think?

Nothing

Longtime Member
it actually works very well i think i would have had problems witha spider type part getting a non warped shape.

Master-Bruce

Well, the flight pod can be left out easily. You build the ship, then the struts for the pod glue onto the hull later, so leaving it out alltogether would be easy, as would the turrets. :)

I'll unfold it to include the turrets, but release a version as a PDO so people can rescale it easily and then rearrange the parts? Also release a standard version as a PDF, which will be the size of the one I'm doing now.

:)

Millenniumfalsehood

I'd appreciate a PDO version. In fact, I'd like to Beta-test this model when it's ready. I've designed a similar class for a Battlestar design contest:

CNSApollo.jpg

Master-Bruce

That's beautiful!!! Very nicely done, sleek, mean and definitely a Battlestar!!

None of these models have been beta tested as such. We're releasing them first, then altering them if needed later. The Traveller has been built by Nothing and it was fine. I'm currently building the Shuttle while Nothing is doing the Heavy Raider.

Status
Not open for further replies.