Think Jays Galactica is lonely, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
I have no problem with it. I like to have my models hosted in as many places as possible to ensure people can get to them. May have to check with SJ as he's a part of this team too??

ajmadison

Dec 15, 2004
Shrewsbury, MA
I love resin kits but they're so expensive that I just can't buy the kits I like. I totally respect the reasons for those prices but they're just out of my range.

Hence my future 3' Galactica in card. :) Card is great, if the textures are good and the design is sound then alot of the time a model can look just as good if not sometimes better than a resin garage kit. Plus they're cheaper, easier and make interesting talking pieces.

Also, I actually posted threads about this project over at Starshipmodeler and got a very dissappointing response there.

I know one reason why you got a disappointing response on Starshipmodeler. I used to at least surf the forums there on a daily basis, but after awhile, it was all talk about kits that were a. out of my price range, b. too expensive for me because I can scratchbuild them myself cheaper and better (more on that in a second), or c. all of the above.

Had I seen your posting, I would have responded, but I visit starshipmodeler about once a month now.

As for scratchbuilding in plasticard, I have mixed emotions. The ONE time I bought a resin kit that I knew I could scratchbuild myself (1/1000 Refit Enterprise) was disappointing in the extremis. I ended up either reshaping, or rebuilding most of it. There was not one part I didn't end up modifying. And I'm not talking about changing it because I'm a 'rivet counter' this thing looked absolutely horrendous. Some of the S-M'ers complain about Art Asylum's toys being junk, this kit would have been proud to have aspired to 'junk' status.

Scratchbuilding is not like it used to be. First off, there are folks at S-M, that are professional model makers, and its very difficult to keep up with them. Plus, the advent of table-top CNC machines means that scratchbuilding has jumped to a level of detail and fidelity to the prototype that I just can't attain with hand held tools. Meanwhile, need a 1mm by 2mm detail on a card model? Couple of commands in the software of choice, print it, done!

I guess I skim some of these threads way too quickly. I would be very excited about a 3 foot paper Galactica.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Too true buddy. That's the same reaon I abandoned SSM and came back to what I both enjoyed and could afford. That and the people here take part and offer encouragement and advice to members.

Paragon, thanks alot buddy!! Nice to know they have a home. :)

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Apology in order?

Hey nothing,

As I was driving home it occured to me that we may have been overlooking the obvious re your texture problems on the Defender. The textures in the BSG ship pack are in Targa (tga) format, which Pepakura can't read. Did you convert them to jpg?

I hope it wasn't that simple and we missed it for you. If it was I owe you a big apology, and you get to pick the ship we do next (after the defender).

SJ

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
the texture map is jpeg. actually for whatever reason i cant figure out i have been unable to put textures on anything:cry: i wish i knew what i was doing wrong there. when i aply a jepeg texture it reverts to a solid color.

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
Sorry about the delay in responding gents. Been out for a couple of days. Fiirst thing that comes to mind re your uploading files to the Downloads section is the file limit of 2Mb. Are the files larger than that? If so we may have a workaround in place. I'll check and let you know.

Elliott

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
heres the start of the heavy raider
hr 001.jpg

was going good but im having a hard time with the main engine i cant get a good visual of what the end part is supposed to look like.

hr 002.jpg
any way to get another perspective shot of this part?

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Hey Nothing. For that area you need parts 2a,2b, and 2c. Assemble them all individually first, then take 2a and 2b. 2b glues to the underside of 2a, lining them up so that the rear end is flush. Then take 2c, this should slot over and around 2a/b upto the butt(rear) of 1a/b.

I'll attach pics to try and help.
Sides1.jpg
Sides2.jpg
Sides3.jpg
Repeat this for 3a, 3b and 3c to complete the other side.

Hope that helps.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Hey Nothing, I've also started buildinbg the Heavy so if you come across any tips, let me know?? I'm only just getting underway so I'm still on the hull centre piece.

What pieces needed snipping? Part of the white area on 2b and 3c?? I though you might as you'd glued the "a" pieces on already.

Master-Bruce

Aug 15, 2007
Looks good. I did get rid of some of the white areas that were in Sj's original clean version as I thought them unnecessary. Kept them in others as I figured they'd provide support.

Is the size Ok for you??

Nothing

Longtime Member
Sep 13, 2006
yankee44.webs.com
yes i like the size of this one. some things if i have a casual intrest in a design
i'll reduce it. and some things if i get real exited about ill make bigger. im hopping by next year ill have more room to display and wont have to worry about size.

Status
Not open for further replies.