Things Metric

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by shrike, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hey Zathros,

< I happen to really like the Canberra bomber, would love to see a paper model of it.>

Check Skyline Models.

I had a 71 MGB, and an 80 Spitfire ( if that isn't masochism what is? ) and thus was forced to hold onto both an Imperial and a Metric set of tools for quite sometime. Now I just pop the hood on my car and say "yep that's an engine." and close it again. No more balancing the old Webers or SUs every few weeks, along with feeding it a new set of sparkplugs...fighting a holding action against the dreaded enemy Ferrous Oxide...tightening what seemed to be every screw in the world after a long trip...

Ah the good old days.
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I didn't even think of working on the car.... That's the one place my brain can do both easily. For some reason, my brain knowns instantly if 1/2 inch ain't right, it's gonna be 11 or 12mm, etc. Any other project I have to do the whole "2.5 cm's per inch, so 1 1/4 times 2.56 is..." Then a vessel pops, and I go grab a beer and watch cartoons.... (Which might help explain why the US isn't metric yet)
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Not certain that the Imperial system will every completely die. I suspect that you still order a pint at the local (Imperial pint at that, not the smaller US version), every Scot I know likes a wee dram, or 1/4 gill of the creature.

Ships still calculate speed in Knots ( Even the Germans use Seemeilen or 6000ft )

Also I doubt that the UK will change from the Pound Sterling to .454/.925Ag

4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Rick, I'll get back to you in 20/25 years.

I would rather have a glass of bear from germany than the UK. I remember your's is BIGGER. Metric or imperial, your's was a bigger glass.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Well I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Brit beer, but an imperial pint at 0.57 litres is larger than the usual sizes to be had here, which are 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5 litres.

Barvaria of course is right over the top with it's Mass or 1 litre glass, most people find that the beer is getting warm and flat towards the end of one of those...which of course is not a problem for the English... <eg>
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Is that the top of Killimanjero in your avatar? It looks vaguely familiar.

Note to all: I've never climbed Kilimangero, but have been bored to death by slide shows by some who have.
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Yes, Rick it is. Don't worry though I won't post pics on here. But I don't have any other pics of me on the computer, so that will have to do for now.

And before anyone ask's, the height on the board in my avator was painted in imperial and metric.
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Worlds largest economy still using imperial (Blue). You Brits must really miss the Empire. Money is bottom line driving any standard. If you want to make money restoring antique or older cars learn all that you can. I don't think the average person here works on JSF Strike Fighters. If you do home improvement in this country you better know Imperial. If you go buy wood at Home Depot you better know Imperial. If your a machinists you better know all that you can. To say kids won't be able to read Imperial drawings makes me wonder what age you consider to be a kid. Anybody who can't read a drawing whether metric or imperial wouldn't know what there doing anyway. My Weber works a lot better than those old SU's did. I have a DCOE 40 Webers side draft on my MG. I don't think the wo to 25 year time frame applies in the U.S. Americans are pragmatists you know. We will do what is necessary, we always do, eventually, if not at first.
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nothing against Killimangero, but I swear that I have seen a slide for every vertical foot or 30 odd centimetres of it... ;-)
  10. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

The Webers on my MG worked very well at converting my paycheque into profits for the oil companies... I loved that car, but I just couldn't afford it.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I get around 35 mpg with the Midget, which isn't bad. The motor is not stock though and I have a manifold pressure gauge which, in effect, taught me how to drive.
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I saw an MGA the other day...started to drool. But She Who Must Be Obeyed would have my dangling bits for book ends...
  13. 427 CI = 7 liters. The old Can-Am engine formula. The Boss 302 and the original Z-28s were inspired by the SCCA's 5 liter displacement limit for the Trans Am (the series not the Firebird).

Plus I'm a Toolmaker. Everything I do is in decimal. Sometimes the Metric system, sometimes the Inch system. If I want to work in yards I'll cut the grass.

PS Yesterday we had a print from one of the designers in the shop and he left off some of the diminsions. When I handed the job off to the guy that does the wire EDM (Tim knows what I mean, sort of a high tech band saw, just the thing for special cutting guides) the guy asked what the overall width was. I replied I wasn't sure but it looked like 1-3/8ths". sort I guess I do flop back and forth
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Still miss my old Ferrari 365 ....4.4 litre 12 pots 6 twin choke webers and 8 miles to the gallon...petrol cost 1s 8d a gallon............36 gallon tank.........cost me £2200 10 years old. Can't play a note on any musical instrument but I think I could still raise a tune with those 4 pipes (dustbins)....those days the fuel pumps at traffic lights counted 1d,2d,3d every it would be something like 20p,40p, 140 mph you had to switch in the second mag........I think I'm going to cry:cry:

NOSTALGIA !!!!!!!!

ps last time saw it they wanted £75,000
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Ferrari 365!!, I don't even know you and I feel your pain! At least you had memory, ( Don't you hate when people say that). My wife keeps telling me to get rid of my cars, I just laugh. They are not as nice as a Ferrari but they are here, now. I also still have my Honda 400F (Kazio Yoshima X3 Engine, Ontario MotoTech, some of you may know what I am talking about) and my 1983 Suzuki GS750. My carbon footprint is not as large as you may think, I basically only drive my Subaru around, the rest of my stuff is in my barn.
  16. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

As a born German I say that we measure both! In Industry we use imperial for diameter of hoses, tubes and pipes. We also use the imperial base at measuring angles in drawings (360 dergees for a circuit), but there also are a lot of people who will go to metric for angles, because the computer calculates better in decimals (so you will have a circuit of 400; but what unit???). Will we ever have a metric time system? A Day not 24 houres but 25 what? A minute not 60 seconds but 100 what??

wish you a nice discuss, a very, very, very confused
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I never could get the hang of metric. Math has just never agreed with me from square one, it literally makes my head hurt. That's why we invented calculators... oddly, I'm one of the few people I know who actually knows how to use an abacus.

But, by the same token, our American standard system never made a heck of a lot of sense to me either. For construction and general purposes, it seems easier, but for scientific work, metric seems to rule the day.
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

One thing we do have a problem with metric measurements is youngsters straight from school work in centimetres, but they get very confused when they discover the engineering world uses metres or milimetres. It must be something to do with wooden rules and wax crayons! The 'change-over' point seems to be if you can pick it up, measue in milimetres, if you need a crane, use metres; but that isn't hard and fast! But no-one I know uses centimetres, unless they are using a fresh install of certain software packages and they haven't set the defaults correctly. They get the message when we build their first design 10x too small.......

19. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Yep that's me, lots of hair. The thing on the left is a tripod I rigged with a mirror for getting reflections of my models when I photograph them.

20. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

For all who don't now why there's a difference between milimeters, centimeters and meters: 1. a mechanic measures in 10th milimeters; 2. an electrician measures in milimeters; 3. a joiner measures in centimeters; 4. a mason has to stay between the borders of the plot ;)

with easterly greetings
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.