Things Metric

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by shrike, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrike

shrike Guest

This is aimed almost exclusively at US modelers. Anyone else is of course welcome to chime in.

How comfortable are you with metric dimensions?

A lot of us right around 40 were in elementary school when the US was considering going metric and thus had a pretty solid education in the metric system. I know I'm fairly comfortable with it, and tend to throw out millimeters in my posts here, I suppose as a courtesy to the rest of the world<G>

In school my kids were given a quick overview of the metric system in about as much depth as roman numerals. They barely know milliltres from millipedes.

So I suppose I'm just curious how familiar everyone (US) is and how they got that way.

PS the last choice is actually a paraphrase of a certain frightfully conservative public figure
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

my intro was simple, I was young enough, when I moved to the Netherlands, back in 78(8 years old) and my whole time there,(9years) i did everything in metric, coming back to the States at 17, I adapted, and started to use both

and with the job I do, I can easily go back and forth with out many problems

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Looks like I am one of the lucky ones, right along with Rick.
    I spent most of my childhood growing up in Germany.
    I can use both systems equally well and at the same time, no problem.
    Actually, I do not understand why people find the metric system so hard.
    I think that people just don't like to change old habits.
    The metric system, to me anyway, is built on pure logic. It is very simple and straight forward.
    Everything is based on 10 and we all know how easy it is to multiply and divide by 10.
    I don't think you can come up with an easier system of measurement, than metric.

4. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Being in my early 50's I had a smattering of metric from late elememtary all the way through high school. I was an army engineer and became fairly proficient at it then. The only time I have a problem is when measurements are used interchangeably for a project.

5. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Having spent a few years in Germany, I'm actually fairly comfortable with the metric system except the weights. I know a kilo is about 2.2 lbs, but have trouble visualizing weights given in grams.
    I loved driving over 100 all the time, even if 100 kph is only about 62.5 mph. 180 kph, now that was fast. ;)
  6. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Things Texas

Just a little note about the apostles quip. A Texas governor, talking about bilingual education once said something like 'If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for Texas children.'
    Gotta love Texas. Love or Lubbock. ;)
  7. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Metric system - Piffle - only any use to somebody who needs to use their fingers to count !!!! Fine if you only ever want to divide by 2 or 10. Not much use if you want to divide by 3, or 4, or 6, or 8, etc.

Now 12, a far more sensible number than 10. I can divide that by 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Of course, if we think about money, the old British system took a lot of beating - 12 pence to the shilling. Easily dividable.... 20 shillings to the pound, also nice and easy to split up into fractions. So there we have easy numbers to deal with, for both small and large amounts of money. And to think - we gave up this wonderfully versatile system for a metric system !!!! What a sad day that was. (Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, I'm only 44, I'm not old !!)

We've even being stripped of our imperial weights - 16 oz to a pound. You take 500g of sweets and tell me how to split it equally between 8 kids (without using a calculator !!)

Hmmmm..... I guess everybody now thinks I'm a nutter :oops:

Like Russel and Rick, I can (and do) use both systems equally easily, and can convert common measurements in my head. I just prefer Imperial 8)
  8. nx13688

nx13688 Member

I graduated high school (1995) with a pretty decent knowledge of the metric system, mainly due to being a science/math geek. My job for the past 9 years has been designing scientific instruments, which are designed in metric. However, since the parts are made in the US, we use dual dimensioning on our drawings, so going back and forth is very second-nature. I try to include a metric equivalent whenever I mention a dimension in my posts here, knowing there are alot of members who wouldn't know an inch from an acre. :)
  9. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

I struggle when measuring masculinity. 427 cubic inches has no metric conterpart. same for 327, 454, 428. You get the drift. Never could think of a muscle car in metric. John
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Honestly, I can't believe you said that.

By eye and quickly!

Everyones entitled to an opinion and preference.
    I use both and each are superb in the right situation.

11. Maurice

Maurice Member

427cu in = 6.997276328 L or 7000 cc.

7L = a nice neat round vrooooom - in any measurement system.

Why the struggle ?

Whatever, when the change comes, you will survive.

This message sent using electrons diverted from their original purpose at tremendous cost to the enviroment and without regard to the Kyoto Protocol.
  12. Kaz

Kaz Member

Whenever anyone I know tells me it was easier in feet and inches, pounds and ounces etc (Usually my parents) I ask them how long a perch, pike, chain and furlong are, how much straw they can get in a bushell, what is a peck, and my perennial favourite...what the heck is a gill. However saying all that, I was 11 when we went over to the decimal system in 1971 so I'm getting on a bit and found it easy to convert. But the UK still measures its roads in miles, and my daughter is still being taught her times tables up to 12...
    I smile when I remember one of my old bosses (Land worker late 70's Early '80. The LSA for those English among us) asking for 300 ft of hosepipe, only for him to be berated and said they have to sell it by the metre, so a quick conversion later he asked for 90m, they asked 'is that three quarter inch or one and a half inch pipe?'
  13. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

No offence intended Russel :oops:

Metric does have its advantanges at times. E.g. 1 cubic meter of fresh water rather conveniently weight exactly 1 tonne, and I never could get my head around engine sizes in cubic inches......

Promoting our rather archaic measurment system just happens to be my favourite rant....... It was all meant to be slightly tounge in cheek :wink:
  14. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's quite alright Mark. No problem. I didn't pick up on it that way.
    It doesn't help the situation not having slept for 3 days either.:oops:

But there are two L's in my name, and that isn't divisible by 3 very easily either.:twisted:
    Just messing with you, Mark.:wink:

16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

... Um... Can I ask a question, do you guys not use the metric system in science classes in the US?
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes, we do. People here still grow up with the Imperial system and learn the metric system in school.
    All of our product packages use both systems.
    It's like we are stuck in the transition phase.
    Maybe in another 20 years ...well, maybe 50 years we will be completely metric...maybe.
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Anyway it's good to know two systems at once :)
  19. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I ain't American, but working in Houston in early 90's, I have experiance of what you guy's think of the metric system. Back then the guy's I worked with hated it. I served an apprenticeship in the 80's and was tought both system's, The company that I worked for 3 years ago used both , but mostly metric.

I think it's easier to use metric and I think most other countries use metric.

It was the british that started the imperial system and if we can change to metric anyone can.

Try getting a kid to count 1/16 1/8 1/4 1/2 21/32 3/4 61/64 1 etc.
    Then try getting them to count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 etc.
    Which is easier.
  20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Let me chime in with a perspective of a guy who grew up and started engineering carrer in Poland using metric system....
    I came to the US when I was 26 and for the last 16 years have to use imperial system - I have no real problem with inches, feet, miles (difficult to visualize and count but I can manage) but there is no way for me to get around ounces, pounds and the best of them all, fluid ounces?
    Ever go to BJ's, Costco, or Sam's? I love the way they give you comparisons for cases of juice or soda - don't try without high speed computer :cry:
    One more thing.... water freezes at 32 degrees??????? In Celsius - 0 freezes, 100 boils, perfect and easy to understand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.