Things I've learned...

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I went to a train show this weekend. One of the things that I learned, was the proper pronunciation of "Kato." (Actually, I heard it on Trains on Tracks on PBS that morning.) I always thought it was pronounced kay-toh. I learned it's kah-toh. This is the result of my being physically isolated from the model railroading community. So, I thought I'd list out a few other model railroading names and how I think they are pronounced. I'd appreciate if y'all (I'm from Texas, BTW) would jump in and clue me in as to the proper way of saying these things.

Rapido (ra-pee-doh)
Bowser (bow-zur)
Bachmann (bok-man)
Heki (hek-ee)
Jaeger (jay-ger)
Kibri (ki-bree)
Peco (pee-koh)
Piko (pie-koh)
Preiser (pry-ser)
Rivarossi (riv-a-row-see)
Roco (row-co)
Tomix (tow-mix)
Vollmer (vol-mer)
Wiking (wik-ing)
Xuron (zur-on)

Any more out there that someone else can think of?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
All but three:
Jaeger would be pronounced Yay-ger. J's sound like Y's in german as well as Wiking, another german company would be pronounced Vi-king, W's being V's.

I've heard Heki being prounounced Heck-eye.

I'm a Yankee...We pawk the caw in the Hawvard yawd.

Skunk Valley

Nov 5, 2002
Middle Georgia, USA
Visit site
Good topic, Guys. I probably mis-renounce half the names out there.

88Fan, Ever heard of the "Theory of Conservarion of R's?" Theory states that the number of pronunciations of the letter r is constant. Thus, when you say "wash the cah," the missing r migrates south forcing us to say "warsh the car."

With the semi-retirement of Bill Elliot, looks like I'll be more of a DJ fan this season.

F

Fred_M

I, we, say Rivarossi more like river-ross-see 'round these parts. Some other words that are hard to pronounce from the car area are Edelbrock, Smokey Yunick, and Ed Iskenderian racing cams. Had a friend in high school long ago whose last name was Hlebasko. People's names are always a problem because some were "Americanized" at Ellis Island by Bureaucrats who spelled them similar to what they thought the immigrant said. I heard tales that when some were asked their name they didn't understand what they were asked and answered "what?" So now their last name is a misspelling of WHAT in their native tongue. Then some names are spelled with letters from the language but are pronounced different in English, like Jesus in Spanish. DASH

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
So is it my-cad-doo or my-ca-doh? I say it mi-kah-doh. From what I understand, the name is used to describe the Japanese emperor or some of his ministers. I think the name for the locomotive came about because some were shipped to Japan early on.

mi-kah'-doh

also:

new..........clear (exactly like it is spelled)

and not: new...cue...lar :confused: :confused:

My favorite pet pronunciation peeve:mad:

My second favorite: Mass...a...chu...setts (exactly like it is spelled)

and not: Mass...a...two...sh*ts :mad:

When my daughter reported that her ENGLISH teacher
in high school (Memphis, TN) mispronounced Massachusetts,
I told her to tell the teacher that "I used to live there, but
I live in Missipissy now!" I don't think she ever took
my advice. :) :)

OK, I'll lighten up now. I'm still smarting' from having to look up Widgery:D :D

Oh yeah, don't forget that Cop Show on TV in Boston: "Lorinodda"

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Cid,

As long as a Texan is in the White House, it's new-cue-lar. If y'all gotta problem with that, then y'all c'mon down here and we'll give y'all a lessin in pro-nun-see-a-shun. :):D:p

For example, San Jacinto is not San Ha-sin-toh. It's San Jah-sin-toh. San Felipe is San Fe-leep. The Rio Grande is Ree-oh Grand, and the Brazos River isn't Bra-zose, it's Braz-us.

<"Texas, our Texas" starts playing the background> Many Texians died so that we could Anglicize and Southernize our local landmarks and towns. We take pride in our venac-ew-ler and our co-loke-qwee-ul speech. It is our goal to teach these things to the uneducated masses (aka, folks not from Texas)--for example, to teach people to say "y'all" instead of "you'ins," "you guys," and "you all." Then the world will be a better place. <music ends on a triumphant note>

Now, I'm going to go eat some BBQ! :):):)

I almost forgot: rodeo is roe-dee-o, not roe-day-o.

I hear ya, Rory. I've spent some time in the Republic of Texas myself, and my ex-wife was from Stanton.
My two favorite historical places are the USS Constitution and the Alamo.
My only problem with Texans is that they can't admit that real BBQ is pork and not beef!!!:cool: :cool:

my ex-father-in-law barbecues a goat every July 4th!!
Tasted like chicken........

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by roryglasgow
Cid,

As long as a Texan is in the White House, it's new-cue-lar. If y'all gotta problem with that, then y'all c'mon down here and we'll give y'all a lessin in pro-nun-see-a-shun. :):D:p

For example, San Jacinto is not San Ha-sin-toh. It's San Jah-sin-toh. San Felipe is San Fe-leep. The Rio Grande is Ree-oh Grand, and the Brazos River isn't Bra-zose, it's Braz-us.

<"Texas, our Texas" starts playing the background> Many Texians died so that we could Anglicize and Southernize our local landmarks and towns. We take pride in our venac-ew-ler and our co-loke-qwee-ul speech. It is our goal to teach these things to the uneducated masses (aka, folks not from Texas)--for example, to teach people to say "y'all" instead of "you'ins," "you guys," and "you all." Then the world will be a better place. <music ends on a triumphant note>

Now, I'm going to go eat some BBQ! :):):)

I almost forgot: rodeo is roe-dee-o, not roe-day-o.

Amen to that!! :D

And a few more:

Waxahachie is (wox-uh-hatch-eee)....not (wax-uh-hatch-eee) :rolleyes:

Mexia is (Muh-hey-uh)....not (Mex-e-uh)

And finally....soft drinks are cokes!! Period!! Not soda and not pop!! :D You ask a man if he wants a coke and he'll say, "Yeah, I'll take a Dr. Pepper if you got one." ;)

Oh....but back on train stuff:

I have always said and probably always will say Kay-toe. Up until today, I thought it was a Mallet like a hammer. I thought Mikado was mi-ka-do....kind of like it's spelled. ;)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Originally posted by Hoss

Waxahachie is (wox-uh-hatch-eee)....not (wax-uh-hatch-eee) :rolleyes:

Mexia is (Muh-hey-uh)....not (Mex-e-uh)

Elgin is El-gin, not El-jin.

Dripping Springs is Drippin' Springs.

Manchaca is Man-chack, not Man-cha-ca.

Pedernales is Per-din-al-es. Well, that one's hard to explain...maybe Perdn-al-es is more accurate...

Bedias is bee-dize. Some of the old-timers say bee-die.

Humble (the town) is um-bull.

Palestine is Pal-uh-steen.

Houston is Hew-ston. Not Hoo-ston or How-ston.

And yeah, it's a "coke!" When I was a kid and we'd visit my relatives in Missouri, I'd learn all kinds of new things. Like, pop, for example, is coke. And going on a "picnic" isn't eating outside somewhere...it's like going to a carnival or something. I never quite understood that one. They say "you-ens" instead of "y'all." And apparently my grandparents ate nothing but cornbread and milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Either that, or they were too cheap to serve REAL food to their guests.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by roryglasgow
Cid,

BBQ may have started out as pork, but it was perfected with beef. Of course, any good BBQ cookout will include both! And maybe some chicken. MMMMMmmmmmm....BBQ.....
You-ens ain't et nofen til ya et roasted possum with collet greens wushed down wif some of pappy's squeeze. Dat dare B B Q is sity eats fer dem no good revenuers and flat landers ankey asterds. An ifin you-ens quit spongin ofen yer poor zury relations we'd serve ya somfun sides cornbred n milk. DASH

New York

How come people from New York say " New Yoak "
but when they see something they " sawr it" so why don't they say
" Newr Yoak " ????????
Oh Well , I'm from New Mexico where Mesilla is pronounced " Mess E A " and not " Mess ill A " and Tortilla and Amarillo and well you get the picture.
Mike
PS to me it's still " KA TOE " and " Toe May Toe "

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Oh yeah... Amarillo is Am-a-rill-oh. But we still pronounce tortilla as tor-tee-ya. Go figure.

dash10... That reminds me of a story I heard about one of my great great uncles from Missouri... This was fairly near McComb, in the southern part of the state. Anyway, he had a still up in the hills. Well, one day he met the sheriff, who was looking for him... The sheriff was going to take him to jail, and my uncle asked if he could run into the house to get his coat (that jail cell was awfully cold). Well, he went inside while the sheriff waited, got his coat, went out the back door and went straight to...California!

Then there was the time my great grandmother through out the dirty water from the sink and hit a sheriff's deputy with it who was prowling around looking for someone from the Dalton gang... Of course, she didn't see him there until after she let the water fly...

And speaking of eating... When I went to Missouri as a kid, my Aunt Ruth was (and still is) the person to visit. She'll feed ya good!