Thickness of cereal boxes

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by causticphlegm, Jul 6, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Hi all,

I'm doing a very large version of the space shuttle Tyderium from Star Wars and the plans require some 1mm and 2mm thick cardboard.

Are cereal boxes good to use in this case? Will the shiny outside of the boxes be a hinderance to laminating the design on it or the ability to bond with the glue? For the 2mm requirement, do I just glue 2 layers together or would that be too thick. (wish I had a caliper of micrometer handy :mrgreen: )I have no idea where I'd get this kind of cardboard other than to use stuff like cereal boxes, shoe boxes, shirt cardboad, etc.(which I have aplenty thanks to a growing child)

Thanks for any info.

2. shrike

shrike Guest

Cereal boxes tend to be 0.5-0.6 mm thick.
    An X-acto blade is approx. 0.25mm thick for comparison.

I've always had the better results gluing to the coated side of the cardboard. It takes glue pretty well, but it's sealed just well enough not to warp too badly. If you have to laminate a stack together for thickness, cross the grains of the layers 90deg. to minimize warping.
  3. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've never had any trouble with the coated side either. If you're in doubt, scuff it a little with some fine sandpaper--just enough to take the shine off it.

I'm a dedicated cardboard/paperboard scrounger--shoeboxes, gift boxes, packaging of all kinds, writing pads, cereal boxes, and whatever else looks good. I keep a milk crate pretty full of the stuff.
  4. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

OK, thanks for the tips guys. Here I go....will let you know how it goes.
  5. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

An easy way to measure paper thickness without calipers: carefully measure the thickness of a stack of 10 (or 20 or 50 sheets), then divide by the number of sheets. :)

If you don't have that many sheets, just cut a long strip into squares, then stack 'em up.
  6. David H

David H Member

Bravo Dan!

My chosen method too, I was taught it at Grammar School a very long time ago. One of the few things I remember from physics class!

7. Kjev

Kjev Member

Cereal Boxes

I've used cereal boxes for a number of years to make wargames terrain. I prefer to use the inside of the box to glue to. I've also learned that large flat areas of it tend to warp, so I back these areas with pieces of foamcore, and where possible, press them flat with a heavy book while the glue dries.

I'd love to see you progress on this one. The Imperial Lander is one of my next projects.