These things are pretty cool!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by bowsoxx, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

Hello all! First of all, I am a life long self described space geek... especially when it comes to pre-Shuttle stuff. Oh yeah, my name is Chris and I'm from Wisconsin. Anyway, I just got back from my first trip to the Kennedy Space Center. While I was there, I spent a lot of time looking at the really neat models they had of the early day's of the US Space Program. I mentioned to my wife that I was going to look into getting some models of my own when I got home, which is what I did. I originally looked at plastic models but then I came upon some of the paper ones out there and I have to say that I was highly impressed. Man, great job to everyone involved in putting these out there.

Well, with a long, cold, Wisconsin winter looming on the horizon, I think I may have found a good hobby to keep me busy. I'm the son of an engineer and an art teacher so I've always been good at making things, so this all really appeals to me.

My question to the pros out there is what kinds of things do I need to get to get started with this? I've gathered that a cutting mat, good scissors, etc. are needed, but what are the essentials.

I'm really excited about starting up with this. There are so many great rocket models out there I really can't wait!

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey :) I am Chris from wisconsin too :)
    my essentials list
    good scissors (fiskars)
    glue - elmers glue all (not school glue)
    sharpie markers (black mostly)
    patience (sometimes)
    welcome to a most addicting hobby!
    p.s. I am new too and likely missed a couple things
  3. bowsoxx

bowsoxx New Member

Thanks! I've been looking for something to help me avoid my annual bout of Cabin Fever and maybe this will be it. I probably won't be able to start up right away because things are a bit hectic... literally in the past month I've started a new job, I've gotten married, and I've moved into a new house! But, I'm planning on starting up collecting supplies and everything so that when I do have time I'll be ready to go!
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Welcome aboard, Chris. That covers the essentials, with one glaring need some kind of scribing tool and a good (preferably metal) straightedge....these needed for creasing the cardstock at fold locations. In a real tight spot, you can use an empty ballpoint pen for the scriber, but a set of embossing tools are very handy. These look like an awl with a ball on the end instead of a point. A ball end about 1/32-inch diameter is perfect for scribing....larger sizes are helpful for working curved surfaces into the paper. I give fair warning, will get to the point that it's you dragging the wife into the local Michaels, not the other way around.
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

That depends on if you are going to do kits or build from scratch.

The only real essential is paper.. Here's my list of things that make it easier.

Color printer
    Drawing program. I use Coreldraw
    Spray acrylic or other form of fixative
    Craft knife with replacement blades
    Cut matt
    Metal straight-edge
    Small scissors. I use manicure scissors
    Glue or paste of some sort.
    Tool for scoring. I use an awl.
    Clamps of some sort. I use mini-clamps from the hardware store.
    Rag for wiping off excess glue. Piece of old t-shirt in the color of the model.
    Jeweler's flat pliers
    Digital camera for showing models to the rest of us

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.