There is a gloss paper suitable for modeling?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Tonino, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Tonino

Tonino Member

I don't know if this question was previously posted.
    I've looked aroud but it seems to me there is not much about in old posts.

The question I want to make is: there is a kind of gloss paper for inkjet printer who let you use glue on it?

If I have understood correctly it seems to me that the best way to obtain the desired kind of finish of a surface (gloss, semigloss, satin) is to coat the matt paper with the proper transparent paint or to use Future wax (I read the great web reference on "all we have to know about Future"... unfortunately the only country not mentioned there is Italy, and I'm afraid here I can't find anything similar. Isn't here any italian modeller who can confirm it?).

This is a possible solution but I'd like to print directly to gloss or semigloss paper.

The reason?
    Well.. it seems to me that such kind of paper have the best quality result on photo printers like my Epson. The level of detail and the color brighteness you can reach are not comparable with the one you can have with matt papers (even if inkjet dedicated). So it's a pity not be able to use them for paper models.

I tried many brands of paper but seems that everyone has a back that is totally not compatible with any kind of cement, glue, paint... nothing

There is some kind of trick to glue them or do you know of a particular brand of paper that can be used with good results?
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

You need to go to a printers paper supplier. What your looking for is coated bristol or cover card stock. The issue is whether or not you can print on it with ink from the inkjet. Most coated finishes require an additional "Inkjet Receptor" coating to allow inkjet compatibility.

You can use photo paper to print your models on. Coat it with acrylic matte spray after printing. Hope this helps....,

Best regards, Gil
  3. Tonino

Tonino Member

the question is not how to obtain a matte finish from a gloss paper.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself, excuse me.
    I have used photo paper with good printing results.

The problem is to glue the photo paper. The backing of this kind of support (of all the brands I tried at least) is made of a kind of plastic who refuses to be cemented with any type of glue I've tried.

Anyone had similar experience?
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Tonino

This is the paper I use, I tried all the brand names and they did not work to well so I went for a cheap own brand and it worked great.

The photos of the helicopter, bikes, F1 cars and shuttle in my album have all been built with it, if you can get round the bad builds the finish to the paper is good.

If you want to try it send me a PM with your address and I will post it.

Hope this helps

5. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Gil

This stuff has a paper back to it I think thats why it worked.
    It will be with the foil. :wink:

6. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Hi Guys,

Anyone tried PVA glue - looks like thick white milk and dries clear. Also if you brush it over a completed model it dries clear and shiny - then if you want to make the card model and or PVA water proof - just varnish over it (when it is dry).
    I also use the PVA glue for making windows - just apply a dob to the window space, like a bubble and let it dry - looks really great.
    You can buy PVA glue in handyman shops and woodworking shops. I use PVA glue for all of my card modelling construction work.
    Just smear the same amount of wet glue as you would find on the back of a postage stamp, but on both surfaces and hold together until dry (really quick).
    I don't build with tabs - I edge join all parts (thin card) and then strengthen internally with thicker card (2mm strawboard) it makes for a solid model which lasts forever.
  7. Tonino

Tonino Member

what you say it's very interesting. It confirms my theory that "expensive" is not ever equal to "good". I'll try to find that brand of paper here but, I'm afraid, it will require some lucky to have success. I don't remember of having seen it before. One more try can be to ignore the big names and look for the cheapest and unknown of the brands. Perhaps I'll find some other paper backed one.
    Do you know if that particular brand of paper is available to buy on the web somewhere?

I saw the photos on your album and the result seems very good.

I also have the Dauphin helicopter and the Tyrrell, and the Shuttle along with all the ISS components (is that the one from Marscenter site?) and thousands of other things, waiting around in the chaos of my "building room", for the day they will see the light...) :roll:
  8. Tonino

Tonino Member

Do you use the PVA glue as it is (i mean for finishing the model surface) or you dilute it with water prior to brush it?

I am interested in your edge join gluing technique with PVA. Can you tell me more about it? How do you keep in place the parts until you strenghten them with cardboard? It seems to me that is not so easy to have a edge-to-edge fast hold.
  9. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Hi Tonino,
    I have put a post on this page - I mean further up this section about card modelling - a different approach, without wishing to be "difficult" may I suggest you have a read of that and then get back to me with any questions you might have.......on that page?
    I use PVA glue to build the parts of my model, to pour and brush over the decks, after I have painted them with acrylic paint, to stop me leaving glue or marks on my finish ( so I can easily wipe off spills), to seal all assembly parts of the hull before painting with Acryllic paint which I then varnish before trying my model out in a bath for leaks - well more about that process later on - I am talking about using a card kit to construct a strong model ( like it is made out of wood) and to making it waterproof and using it with electric motors and radio control with, if its a warship, rotating turrests etc.
    Aircraft, Tanks, AFV's, I use the same method, although I redesign the kit assembly to siut my building method, which is quite easy really.
    I have found that when making funnels, or fuselages, it is best to edge glue - join the two ends with a strip of paper, glued inside- this stops unsightly joins - then build up the funnel internally with glued laminations of thin car to make a solid funnel.
    Full strength PVA glue - water it down and it is useless.
    I've taught myself my technique over 25 years and I'm something of a master - so where is
    San Marino Mate?
  10. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Tonino

This is the place I use

You have to have an account to use the site. The price shown is not always what you pay, I always buy my stuff when they have the buy one get one free deals (BOGOFS as my liitle lad calls them) :lol:
    If you see something you wont just let me know!!

Apart from super glue putting formers together I don't use any other glues,works every time.

11. j77ason

j77ason New Member

Hi Rob,

Whatever works for you, is the best way for you and there is no right way to do something - as the saying goes, each to their own
  12. Tonino

Tonino Member

San Marino is a little independent state placed in central Italy, between Romagna and Marche.

It's one of that little territories who passed through middle-age and, for some reason, remained as it was (not at a middle-age style of life :D ) exactly an independent state.

If you'd like to know something more about how this can be happened you can take a look here . It's in English.

And you? What is your location? I don't see it in your profile.
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

hp preimum choice 32lb is a semi-gloss that I use on a HP 4500 laserjet in gloss mode finish that works quite nice. not photographic shiny, but still quite good (think magazine on thick paper, National geographic cover stock I think) and quite reasonably priced and available.