There I was....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Texman, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

So, I got the family out today, playing miniature golf at the Lochmuhle park just north of Frankfurt. It's overcast, taking pics of kids and friends when...

I hear the most gorgeous rumbling. I knew it was radial engines. I immediately begin searching the sky, wondering what joyful sight awaits me. Then, I see it. I am standing in the middle of Germany, and suddenly, I see

Attached Files:

2. Texman

Texman Guest

D-AQUI, Ju-52, built in 1936. Part of the Lufthansa fleet. That was just one awesome feeling! Made me feel part of another time and place.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

...then Fallschirmjager fell from the skies. Smoke grenades rained down upon the miniature golf course as the first of several troupers took up positions around Put-Put's hole #4. A second group scramble about to arm and make ready their MG34 positions when the sound of tank tracks squeaking in the distance from around hole #9's Bugs Bunny's Rabbit Hole signalled it was time to drop putters and run...

ps. Nice shot from below.
  4. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I used to work not far from the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, California. The unmistakeable rumble of radials did indeed always mean that something interesting was coming. Nowadays we can only imagine what it must have been like to have seen one of the WWII-era armadas, with thousands of such engines, pass overhead.

BTW, I think that's a pretty good pic, considering the circumstances...nice camera work!

5. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

That's pretty awesome. I live in San Marcos, Texas, and the Confederate Air Force folks do a show here every year (gotta actually go to that one of these days). It's quite a treat when a bunch of Japanese fighters spend the day flying over the town.
  6. Darwin

Darwin Member

The place I work is right on the flight path to the airport used by Red Baron's Flying Service. There is also a major aircraft restoration shop using the airport....not sure if they are associated with Red Baron or not. Anyhow, not uncommon to feel a P&W double wasp, Allison, or Merlin taking off when I walk out to the parking lot. And I do mean "feel"....the only thing more impressive than a P&W radial at full song is a quad set of them (every twice in a while we are graced with the vist of a B-17, -24, or even a -29). Yeah, I admit a F-15 with afterburner kicked in is impressive, but nothing grabs you by the intestines the way the WW II birds do.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Neat Pic Ray!......

Me I love the sound of a Merlin............
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tante Ju! Nice shot Ray, you stopped the props. Wonder if those are original BMW equipment..., Greg, an SR-71 taking off on afterburners is an event that one will never ever forget..., now about my hearing loss..., -Gil
  9. popala

popala Member

Probably not, since the original BMW 132 (improved version of P&W Hornet) was pushing a two-bladed prop - this one has three blades so it is probably sporting more modern radials.

--------- edit ------------

Here is a Wikipedia article about air worthy Ju-52s. It mentions D-AQUI flying with P&W radials and three-bladed props.
  10. 46rob

46rob Member

The sound of radial engines has always excited me. the soujnd of an armada of such planes is amazing. When I was a boy, my dad was in the Navy, and we lived in places like Norfolk and Jacksonville. When a carrier would return to port after a cruise, the airwing would fly off en-masse, and form up into a huge formation, and proceed to the local air station. To see and hear seventy or more big round- engined planes flying at low altitude overhead is unforgettable.
  11. nikischutt

nikischutt New Member

I live near the local airbase here in Cape Town where the SAAF maritime force is based. C-47 Dakota's, C-130 every now and then but my all time favourite, the last flying Avro Shackelton MR3, only a couple hundred hours left on the main spar. When she flies at airshows, the sound of contra-rotating props powered by Rolls Royce Griffons, amazing sound.

12. 46rob

46rob Member

Enjoy the sounds while you can--they become rarer each year. You might even want to record some video, just to remember what they sound like after they're no longer flying.
  13. nikischutt

nikischutt New Member

Sorry duplicate message
  14. nikischutt

nikischutt New Member

Good point. I've got the African Aerospace and Defence Exhibition coming up soon, very big collection of planes doing displays. Check out the website at

Definitely gonna be taking my video camera and digital camera. Airshow is two days (over the weekend), I will definitely be going both days. :grin: :grin: