There are only 12 like her in the fleet

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You have quite the collection, INDEED!!!
I am GREATLY IMPRESSED by the fact that you are able to make 12 Star ships all at the same time and are still able to maintain your sanity.:thumb:
I am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out!!!

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Thanks. It helps to not work on the same project constantly. I have other things I'll do and then jump back on this. Just powering through can take all the fun out. Except, for every project like this I think of 10 more that are more difficult I want to do.:crash: As far as the fleet goes, last night I got the necks attached to all the saucers and closed up all the shuttlebays. I like the detail in the little shuttlebay, but it isn't practical for them to be open all the time. However, those bay doors are a pain!:curse: They are definitely the weakest part of my build. No time for new pics between watching the new S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Cincinnatti Reds go down in flames :boom:but hopefully I'll get this finished up in the next few days.

Rogerio Silva

It's a hard but rewarding endeavour you've got yourself in, but I must say: I LIKE IT! You're doing a marvelous job, man.

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
The fleet has arrived

Well folks, my long build is finally over. Here's the final results and I hope you like them. Overall, they turned out pretty well. Of course, I saved Enterprise for last so she'd have all the best parts and get any building tricks I learned. Now, on to the pictures - and extra points to anyone to spots the "special" formation.

Attachments

• 100_1106.jpg
    100_1106.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1110.jpg
    100_1110.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1111.jpg
    100_1111.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_1112.jpg
    100_1112.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1113.jpg
    100_1113.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1114.jpg
    100_1114.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_1116.jpg
    100_1116.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1117.jpg
    100_1117.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1118.jpg
    100_1118.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 10

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
WOW!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is truly fantastic!

Great job and congratulations to the new fleet!

Just one suggestion: The formation pics are good; they are only one small step from being VERY good: Photograph them on a black cloth or replace the background with a starry sky background. Then everything would be perfect! Aside from that it is a remarkable achievement.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is BEYOND BELIEF!!!
KUDOS TO YOU ON A FINE JOB WELL DONE!!!
You deserver some Romulan Ale for that!!!

walid009

wow...once i made 2 apache heli.Thats the best i can do at the same time.You did an amazing job.
by the way...where can i get these models.

vulcan8630

Outstanding job!!!!You should be proud of this achievement.......Now, are you going to set up a ceiling diorama with the M5 on the Enterprise or a doomsday device pitted against the entire fleet?

Rogerio Silva

I'll never stop being amazed...

Amazing, fantastic job! A true, huge endeavour, both hard and rewarding. Inspiring work, magnificent accomplishment!

WAY TO GO!!!

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like the final product. Those pics were just to get them on the thread. I plan to take some nice pics and turn them into wallpapers I'm going to call "Moments Before." You'll see what I mean by that. I'll put them on my Flickr account and let you know when they are there.

The displays will take a little longer. Since I have around 20 ships done and about 20 more in construction plus my K-7, I need several different setups. I thought about making a scale version of the Franz Joseph StarFleet HQ, but when I did the math that worked out to a model 8 feet across and 3 feet deep! That's a lot of paper. The new ideas aren't nearly that complex. What have I gotten myself into? This started out as a one-or-two model hobby!

walid009: Rawen's models are still available on Papermau. Here's the link: http://papermau.blogspot.com/2012/03/star-treks-starfleet-paper-models-by.html

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
amok time, the deligation

why are they in different sizes and how did you do that?
great work and amazing, cant wait to see the dioramas!

Attachments

• amok time, the deligation.jpg
    amok time, the deligation.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 165

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Thanks Spaceagent. All the models are the same size. That's just from the angle of the picture and the way I positioned them.

Quick tip for anyone who builds these models: The pylons and nacelles are tricky like all Star Trek models. My method is to glue the pylons to the hull through the slot, attach everything else, including the saucer, then leave the nacelles for last. I look straight down the hull from the rear and use my hands to nudge the pylons into their final position and put a tiny coat of brushable super glue where the pylons meet the hull. Basically, this creates a "weld" on both sides of the pylon and keeps it straight and strong. Of course, you can see the glue, but it's clear and you don't need much. It's a good trade off for getting straight, strong engines.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is an excellent tip. UHU02 provided a special "mold" for his TIE fighter which is used for aligning the wings. This might be an inspiration for future Star Trek ship designers.

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Displaying the Fleet

Well, I've completed my first idea for displaying my models. I scanned the page of the StarFleet Technical Manual showing the SF HQ docking bay and recreated it in Adobe Illustrator. The original drawing is black and white and has few details, so I took the chance to spruce it up a little. I added some details (tractor beam emitters, bay markings, stop-or-go lights by the bay doors, glowing workbay lights) to break up the gray. I work with Illustrator and Photoshop every day in printing, but they aren't my main focus so this doesn't come close to what a pro could do, but it makes me smile and the ships look nice docked in there. I printed off copies and glued them to heavy cardboad, then pushed BBQ skewers through where I wanted the ships to rest. Nice and cheap.:mrgreen:

Here's the link to my Flickr page to see the full size pic or download it for yourself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgt01/10271624273

Attachments

• sftm docking bay_thumb.jpg
    sftm docking bay_thumb.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
just a thought, your ship dock there would look real good if it had some of those real small starships that gamers use. I think that glen jupp and rawen made some.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
YES! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT! WONDERFUL WORK AND EXCELLENT EDITING!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Couldn't resist. :)

Attachments

• BG1.jpg
    BG1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 9
  • BG2.jpg
    BG2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 11