The "Y"

jr switch

Please bear with me if this is a simple sounding question. In my railroading videos, they refer to a "wye", as a means of turning locos around. Can one of you post a diagram showing how this works? Is it a triangle of curves and turnouts? Thanks, John R

Collyn

the train pulls forward to one side of the wye turnout. It then backs up acrost the top in the diagram. It then goes forward down the other side of the wye.

Attachments

• wye.doc
    19 KB · Views: 93

jr switch

Thanks Buddy, I thought thats how it worked , but I wasn't sure. I wonder if anyone has put one of these on a layout? Don't remember seeing it done. John R

LoudMusic

They're also avoided because they take quite a bit more effort to turn a train around than to simply use a reversion loop.

Skammer

They have the advantage of taking less space than a loop, and the disadvantage of using three turnouts (with the associated switching and wiring) instead of just one. Also, it's easier to turn a whole train on a loop, wyes are usually only good for engines or very short trains.

The other end of the spectrum is the turntable, which is the most space-efficient method to turn an engine, but the most complicated to build and wire correctly.

I've been trying to incorporate a wye into my 6.5' x 10' layout, but I'm having trouble finding a spot for it.

jr switch

Skammer----I'm assuming then that your layout is not continuous? You can not go all the way around non-stop ? No loop at one end or the other? Post a diagram of your layout and I'll bet someone can come up with a "y" or maybe a loop---- John R

John P

I've incorporated both a "Y" and a reverse loop in my layout-gives me a little more flexibilty but does require a little more work but its all gooood:thumb:

Skammer

Okay, jr switch, here's my layout. It's a freelanced Canadian shortline, starting at an interchange yard (marked A) and going around counter-clockwise through the turn at B and goint to C, then back again. Along the way, it delivers cars from the interchange and picks up empties or deliveries to leave back at the interchange.

I'm thinking about putting in a small (90') turntable at C, so the engine can turn around for the return trip. If I do that, though, I need a way to turn around again somewhere near the beginning, and I don't see a way to do that. (I did toy with the idea of elevating the C end and having a wye near A that went under C, but I couldn't work it out without a pretty bad grade, which I want to keep under 2%.

The connection from B to A is to provide the ability for continuous running, but it would not be used in normal operations.

Let's see, what else?
There is a duckunder, but I couldn't really help it to maximize the space. The top and left side are against the walls.
There is one small aisle space that is only 18" wide, but that's only for maintenance access and not normal operation, so I think it's okay.

If you (or anyone) has suggestions, especially a way to turn the engine at C and A, I'd love to hear them!

Attachments

• layout.GIF
    layout.GIF
    27.5 KB · Views: 101

Skammer

Okay, I forgot to give dimensions.

Each square = 12"
The red lines are the edge of the benchwork; the blue lines are double-sided backdrops.
All the turnouts are #6 except at the interchange, which are #4s.

Minimum curve radius is 24", but I'm thinking of changing that to 22" with easements. I'd be willing to have a sharper curve for the wye, if needed.

jr switch

Your right, this is a problem. I'm also assuming that all this is landscaped already. Don't know if I can come up with a plan, but I want to study it awhile----John R

doctorwayne

Here's a loco being turned on the wye at Airline Junction. The track nearest the viewer is the icehouse siding, the next track is the main. The loco has just backed off the main and onto the wye. It'll back down the tail track, visible between the tower and that sign in the distance.
100_5521.jpg

The switch, hidden from view, will be thrown once the loco has passed it, then she'll pull ahead onto the other leg of the wye.
Here she is, coming out of the wye and headed back onto the main.
100_5522.jpg

Wayne

Skammer

No, actually, I've only got most of the benchwork built. I'm going to then put down two layers of blue foam for a base, and then start playing with the track to finalize the plan before I glue down the roadbed and track. So if I'm going to make any changes, this is the time to do it. Thanks for your input!

Pooh Bah
The problem with a model railroad wye is that one of the tracks tends to stick out a long way, even farther if you need to turn a whole train on it.
Multiple, overlapping wyes are used at a number of passenger terminals (is St Louis the main example?) where the station is set at right angles to the main lines and there are curves to get in and out to both directions.

pgandw

Skammer said:
Okay, jr switch, here's my layout. It's a freelanced Canadian shortline, starting at an interchange yard (marked A) and going around counter-clockwise through the turn at B and goint to C, then back again. Along the way, it delivers cars from the interchange and picks up empties or deliveries to leave back at the interchange.

I'm thinking about putting in a small (90') turntable at C, so the engine can turn around for the return trip. If I do that, though, I need a way to turn around again somewhere near the beginning, and I don't see a way to do that. (I did toy with the idea of elevating the C end and having a wye near A that went under C, but I couldn't work it out without a pretty bad grade, which I want to keep under 2%.

The connection from B to A is to provide the ability for continuous running, but it would not be used in normal operations.

Let's see, what else?
There is a duckunder, but I couldn't really help it to maximize the space. The top and left side are against the walls.
There is one small aisle space that is only 18" wide, but that's only for maintenance access and not normal operation, so I think it's okay.

If you (or anyone) has suggestions, especially a way to turn the engine at C and A, I'd love to hear them!

If A and C are at the same level (or reasonably close), you could share a turntable between the 2 by having a lead from each section. Not sure a 90ft turntable is going to fit, you may need to drop down to the Atlas (9" or 66ft).

my thoughts, your choices

Skammer

Hmmm -- very interesting idea. Since I wouldn't actually want to spoil the illusion by using the same scene twice, I see two options for going with one turntable:

1) At either A or C, have the engine disappear "offstage", turn on the table, and come back.

2) Have the turntable visible at both A and C, but make it LOOK like a different TT when viewed from the other side. For example, I could put the turntable in the middle of a gap in the backdrop, with the backdrop running right up and over the the turntable on both sides, with just enough clearance for the train. Then (for example), while turning the train at C, I won't see the yard at A in the background.

I'll have to give that some serious thought, pgandw.