The "White Tiger" Clod project!!

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by Unruely, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unruely

Unruely New Member

Well I have gotten the side plates cut out for my latest Clod. This one will be for my wife and has had her input into it also. The plates are cut from a sheet of 3/16" aircraft aluminum. I marked the shape I wanted on the aluminum and then rough cut them out with a jig saw, leaving at least 1/4" all around the marked pattern. Then I marked the location for the link and shock mount location holes. I used some #4 pan head machine screws to bolt the 2 halves together before doing the final trimming, again with the jig saw and then cleaned the edges up with a power sander and a set of hand files for the intricate areas. By doing this it insures that both halves will be identical.. My next step will be to design and construct the battery and electronics trays. We have already picked out a body and come up with a paint scheme to match the theme of the truck!! This step alone has taken several weeks in order to cut and rough finish the edges of the aluminum. I still need to do the final clean up and polishing of the aluminum plates.. This aluminum is the toughest stuff I have ever worked with, it took nearly 2 weeks of work, (off and on), to get it this far. So far it has destroyed 1 jig saw, 3 blades, 1 carbide rotary bit, 1 round file, and 1 drill bit... You talk about a bullet proof chassis... I think this one may truly be so.. The skids are already designed for it also... hmmmmmm
    Let me know what you think so far!
    Double
    [​IMG]
    Left
    [​IMG]
    Right
    [​IMG]

After a lot of thought and experimenting, I found the type of finish I wanted on the frame. I didn't want a real shiny look, so I sand blasted the aluminum plates today and they turned out great! They look nearly white, and have a sparkle to them in the sunshine. My next step on this truck is to complete the links, then skidplates, then paint the body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have the scheme for the body all worked out and hope to get started on it this week. I still have to install all the electronics in it yet, build servo mounts, steering links, and a set of skids to follow the theme of the truck. The links are aluminum arrow shafts with 8-32 threaded studs and Kyosho 6.8mm ball ends, custom made shock mounts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the body pics. It is painted with "Pearl White, Mettalic Black, and Pearl Silver" The windows were done with "Fastint". I still have a lot of work to do before this one will be complete!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin
  2. danielh89

danielh89 Member

that look's awsome!!!!!!!!
    luvin the whole look of the truck. and the whole tigger theme wrks realy well
    nice one
  3. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

Nice work dude :)
  4. digdug72

digdug72 Member

botpa - korean site for kids (?)

Great job, nice craftsmanship :)
  5. That thing is crazy
  6. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

that thing is so sweet dude. great job on the chassis and the paint!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.