The Weathered Car Gallery

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by MilesWestern, Apr 18, 2006.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Please post photos of cars you have weathered, and explain how you did it. Post as many photos and descriptions as you would like. :) Weathered cars are better cars!
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Do a search for some of the threads by TomPM. He did a whole series a while ago that gave notes on what paint he used, what technique, and in what order everything was applied...

3. RevnJeff

RevnJeff New Member

Here is an old N-scale locomotive that I weathered. The Chicago & Northwestern weren't as bad about cleaning equipment as the SP, but they might have been close.

Technique used was yellow, green, and black pastel chalks applied with Q-tip, brush, and finger. Messed around with it until it looked right. Then a coat of dullcoat.
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Here's some of my work. The first is a simple wash using cheap craft paints thinned with water then fixed in place with Krylon Matte Finish. As with all my cars, the wheelsets are painted with alternating daubs of Testor's Rubber, Flat Brown and Rust.

The second one is done with Scale Rail Graphics decals and daubs of paint pulled into streaks with dirty thinner as a wash. Then when dry, I dusted it with powdered pastels then fixed them in place with Krylon.

The gon doesn't show it well in the picture but it has bulging in its panels, done by applying a hot soldering iron close to the panel, not enough to touch but enough to soften it then push it out with a fingertip. Daubs of paint were then streaked with a dirty thinner wash. When dry it was coated with the Krylon Matte.

Attached Files:

5. Art67

Art67 Member

Shaygetz- Those are some fine looking cars you have there. And thanks for explaining some of your weathering techniques. Great job.

6. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

These hoppers were done with drybrushing the spills and using powdered chalk for the rust. The graffiti is decals and hand-painting.

Attached Files:

7. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Stuff Guys.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Thanks, Stuart. I try not to keep any secrets knowing how many newcomers see these links.
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Just plain old Rustall.

Attached Files: