The Weathered Car Gallery

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Miles,

Do a search for some of the threads by TomPM. He did a whole series a while ago that gave notes on what paint he used, what technique, and in what order everything was applied...

Andrew

RevnJeff

Feb 20, 2006
Northwoods of Wisconsin
www.pegnsean.net
Here is an old N-scale locomotive that I weathered. The Chicago & Northwestern weren't as bad about cleaning equipment as the SP, but they might have been close.

CNW5.jpg

Technique used was yellow, green, and black pastel chalks applied with Q-tip, brush, and finger. Messed around with it until it looked right. Then a coat of dullcoat.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Here's some of my work. The first is a simple wash using cheap craft paints thinned with water then fixed in place with Krylon Matte Finish. As with all my cars, the wheelsets are painted with alternating daubs of Testor's Rubber, Flat Brown and Rust.

The second one is done with Scale Rail Graphics decals and daubs of paint pulled into streaks with dirty thinner as a wash. Then when dry, I dusted it with powdered pastels then fixed them in place with Krylon.

The gon doesn't show it well in the picture but it has bulging in its panels, done by applying a hot soldering iron close to the panel, not enough to touch but enough to soften it then push it out with a fingertip. Daubs of paint were then streaked with a dirty thinner wash. When dry it was coated with the Krylon Matte.

Attachments

• weather1a.jpg
    weather1a.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 199
  • weather2a.jpg
    weather2a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 197
  • weather3a.jpg
    weather3a.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 199

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Shaygetz- Those are some fine looking cars you have there. And thanks for explaining some of your weathering techniques. Great job.

Stuart

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
These hoppers were done with drybrushing the spills and using powdered chalk for the rust. The graffiti is decals and hand-painting.

Attachments

• hoppers009.jpg
    hoppers009.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 146

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Art67 said:
Shaygetz- Those are some fine looking cars you have there. And thanks for explaining some of your weathering techniques. Great job.

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart. I try not to keep any secrets knowing how many newcomers see these links.