The UHU02 Colonial Viper appreciation thread

Rogerio Silva

Nov 9, 2012
Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL !!!
My concern is if I laminate it, at the end will everything fit together? I say it because in the Enterprise Build I almost had a problem like that, after laminating some formers... But in the end, everything went well.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Mine is just laminated to its counterpart, but, I did use 200gsm stock instead of 160gsm.
But, even at my early stage in the build, I am wondering if any extra reinforcement is actually neccessary, because as the model goes together, everything 'rigidifies' as each piece is added.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Are you using 200gsm for the whole model, or only in the "tree" part? All right, I'll blow it: I intend to buy some paper, and print it TODAY. Maybe even start at it tonight, after hours.

I am only using 200gsm for the main frame and the bulkheads. The rest is all out of 160gsm.
Ok, I did also print the model out on 80gsm too, as a thinner paper should make a cleaner and neater piece when making all the really tiny pieces.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Looking forward to you build pics, Rogerio.
Take your time and good luck!!!:thumb:

P.S: Make sure you have a really good magnifying glass .....sign1

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Silveroxides Viper

Started on the cockpit construction. one of the most important tools to help in the construction, are the butterfly clips. If you are going to handle the ship constantly, it will prove indispensable. Those prongs sticking out are prone to being bent out of shape and the clips will act as a stand to balance the frame while working on it. The foot pedals are trimmed and they will present a problem later on when attaching the sides. I compensated for this but that portion will come later when the side panels are adjusted to fit around the pedals. See you all soon with more updates.

Keep up the good work guys, I am depending on your expertise in finding the faults. There are a few in the cockpit and I will comment later on them, The instrumentation is not complete and that upper instrument panel is suppose to rise higher. That missing hump on the top of the forward is an extension of that part. That is were I noticed the missing hump. I built a Viper a while back and that portion was my indicator as to where to place the HUD.

In my reference file, there are three versions of the cockpit. the early version did not have that video communicator in the lower right of the panel. In its place, it was a clip section for the pre-flight checklist. The upper instrumentation later on, had a HUD (heads up display) system instead of instruments. Other stuff will pop up now and then, especially in the cockpit section. i will point some more out later on. Over all, the cockpit still looks great as is. Enjoy and see you all with more postings,:thumb:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 24

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Silveroxides Viper

As for cockpits and instruments. I am glad to work with this one, It could have been the third and last version in "Hero" and the last episode that Apollo flew his Viper.:thumb:

Attachments

• DSCN0513.jpg
    DSCN0513.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0514.jpg
    DSCN0514.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0515.jpg
    DSCN0515.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 27

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
Silveroxides Viper

More work on the cockpit. The side wall and instrumentation is off. The side instrument panel is supposed to have a sharp downward angle on both side. In this version, the instrument panel from front to rear is almost even or horizontal. The attitude control on the left does not have visible attaching point. In one version of the instrument panel, there are three gauges between the joystick and the bottom of the instrument panel. In another version, it is missing but that is the one with the checklist clip instead of the video communicator. But as I have mentioned before, I still like the layout. In the side consoles, first pic, you can make out the recessed instrument. The buttons and warning lights are also raised by using the glue rivet technique. I placed three coverings of glue and they did raised the lights some. Enjoy and I will be back soon with more updates.:thumb:

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 19

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Another mirroring error.

Part 175 has a mirroring error aswell. Ok the print is sooooo tiny at 1/50, it is difficult to read anyway. Just thought those of you that are upscaling, may see it better ......

Naamloos1.jpg

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
silveroxides Viper

Thanks for looking in on my version of the build guys. And thanks Dan for your input, I will see if it hampers my build or I may leave it alone.

More on the cockpit. The joystick was a little too flat. Using a paper clip wire, I cut the part with an extension on the base. I wrapped the extended part around the base and built up the head piece.

The side attitude adjuster is made from a straight pin and a thin strip is rolled around the handle. The tub is closed up and you can make out some greebles,wiring and panels in some of the photos. Enjoy and be back soon with more. On a different note, I may post a little slow while I try to clean up my system. It ha been locking up on me lately.:thumb:

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 17
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 16

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
@Silveroxide: Your build of the cockpit looks simply AMAZING! All of the detail that you are putting into it is really making this model come to life!

If I may make a note, It was pointed out to me that the upper side panels are suppose to be attached to the inside of the skin for the cockpit section. Please see attached pic.
241.jpg

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
If I may make a note, It was pointed out to me that the upper side panels are suppose to be attached to the inside of the skin for the cockpit section. Please see attached pic.
View attachment 120755

Keep in mind, that to place the skin over cockpit, you have to place it over the cockpit side ways. When you turn it to align it with the cockpit, the side panels may catch and cause damage to the cockpit walls. That is my reasoning for placing the side wall panels on when constructing the cockpit. There is very little space tolerance when applying the skin on this model.wall1

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Keep in mind, that to place the skin over cockpit, you have to place it over the cockpit side ways. When you turn it to align it with the cockpit, the side panels may catch and cause damage to the cockpit walls. That is my reasoning for placing the side wall panels on when constructing the cockpit. There is very little space tolerance when applying the skin on this model.wall1

VERY GOOD POINT!:thumb:
I have not thought of that!wall1

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Maybe the issue as outlined, is a 'Catch 22'.........

On the side wall, or as part of the cockpit tub, surely the problem would be the same..........Also, the cockpit is gonna look rather weird when the model is de-skinned if the side panels are attached to the cockpit tub rather than the body shell...........

Either way, these 'annoying' side panels could be soaked in ca glue to strengthen them, especially the edges, against the (possible) damage caused by the constant removal and replacing of the outer skin......

Just my Euro's worth........:cool:

silveroxide

Aug 22, 2007
Fayetteville NC
More on those panels and hopefully the first one to get there will let us know how it comes out.
Option 1. If it is to be displayed naked, then there is nothing to worry, leave as is.

Option 2. If you are going to handle it and show off how it goes together, then wait forr the first one to get there to find out if it is feasible with the panels attached to the skin.

Option3. It is to be displayed semi skinned, with portions showing, then leave the skin over the cockpit alone and it should work out.

Option 4. If it is to be fully skinned, then there is no need to worry except for the sliding canopy.??????? (It is possible but you need that fuselage hump on the top)

Regardless, it should be interesting.