The UHU02 Colonial Viper appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Aug 11, 2013.

1. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Beautimus!! :)
  2. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Red alert!

I've just noticed that the text on part 132 is not only mirrored but wrongly spelled; an "E" is missing! :eek::eek::eek:

How fortunate that there is TheGimp..! :rolleyes:
  3. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Yeah, noticed that too.....
  4. Revell-Fan

Whilst the first error is fixed by simply printing part 117 twice a little Gimp magic was required to fix the mistake on part 132. I have attached the new "DANGER" badge for you to apply to your model. You have to rescale it in order to make it fit. (Don't worry about crispness, it will look fine since it will become VERY small in the end.) :thumb:

Attached Files:

5. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Thanks R-F, much appreciated..
  6. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

@Revell-Fan: Thank you for pointing out the misspell and the mirror mixup.

Here is an update progress report.
    Here are the components that are under the cockpit side consoles.

7. Rhaven Blaack

More components under the cockpit side consoles and everything working aft.

8. Rhaven Blaack

Next comes the engines.

announce1 Please stay tune to your local Colonial Broadcast Service for further updates and they come in.
  9. scyeige

scyeige Member

I went through the templates and found another error (spelling) on part 295a (and it's corresponding alternate pattern).

I have attached a pdf but it is enlarged 500% (for easy viewing) - if you want to print it out, print at 20%.

Pic of the error.

And if you really wanna nitpick :p, the text panel on part 27 doesn't make sense (actually the sentence is poorly constructed) - but it's way too small to read at the intended scale. But if one was to enlarge the build (i.e., scaling up to, say, 1:24 or larger) then it might be a good idea to fix that too...

I would rephrase it to:

But that's just me. :twisted:

Attached Files:

10. Revell-Fan

+++ German sitrep +++

@scyeige: Thanks for the correction! :thumb:

@RB: Your build looks fabulous! I keep my fingers crossed for the engines because NOW you will meet parts 138 :p !

Well then, I have assembled and installed the parts behind the cockpit and may post a few tips which could make your assembly easier.

When the former part 129 is inserted do not apply glue to it but to the main fuselage.

Attached Files:

11. Revell-Fan

Now to our "famous" part 132 :p .

I added some flaps.

A test-fit showed that the cut I made into the fuselage was too small, so I extended the cut into the back of part 132 to the top of it.

After the red rectangles on the sides had been cut out I had some trouble keeping the small strips in place. I made some flaps and glued the strips to the back of the part from the inside.

Attached Files:

12. Revell-Fan

I assembled part 133 and test-fit it. The rectangle cut into the main fuselage was too small and had to be widened.

I installed part 132 (and applied glue to the fuselage formers), let it dry and pushed part 133 through the holes.

Then I carefully applied some glue to the former part 129 and glued part 133 in place.

Attached Files:

13. Rhaven Blaack

Your build is really coming along nicely.
    It looks REALLY GOOD!!!
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Engine Air Intakes

Here are the air intakes.

Intake faceplate.

Laminating the sheets to make the intakes.
    (When you are laminating the parts, remember to make certain that everything is wrapped tightly, otherwise, you will wind up with gaps.)

One intake complete.

All Air intakes are finished.

Air intakes are attached.

Now on to the rest of the engine components.
  15. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Also take care that none of the tylllium flayrods go askew while on treadle, Looks great guy! :)
  16. Revell-Fan

+++ German sitrep +++

Congratulations on the intakes! :thumb: They look terrific!

I have completed mine but I have deviated from the instructions a little bit. I have laminated all the faceplates to o.75mm card to increase the raised look and used some of the alternative parts. The parts went together nicely, everything fits like a glove. Here are some pics.

Next will be the second stage of the engines, featuring parts 155 and 169... :oops: Good luck to all with them! :wave:

Attached Files:

17. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

A start

Well done R-F and R-B, you builds are coming together brilliantly!!!

I managed to get some time to do a bit of modelling this weekend.
    Not much, bit it is a start......

When I cut out the cross-members, I lightly sanded the rounded edges to make sure they were smooth, as these will determine how well the outer skin will hold its shape.
    Everything was edge coloured black. I used black because I feel that the stark contrast of the black gives everything a more 'industrial look'.

I hope to start on the next stage, i.e. the cockpit, over the next day or two.....

007.jpg 008.jpg

009.jpg 010.jpg

See you all soon!

18. Rhaven Blaack

@RF: I like the other parts that you used in the intakes. I actually like the look of it better. It has a more "REALISTIC" look to it.
    I think that I am going to change mine out for the ones that you used.

@DBK: You are off to a GREAT START!!!
    I can guaranty that the build will go very quick.
    You will find yourself not wanting to stop building.
  19. Revell-Fan

That's why I have chosen them. The other ones look more like plugs which COULD actually make sense if the Viper is displayed at an air show or anything like that. There are similar plugs used to protect the gun barrels on real planes, these ones could be used to protect the intakes from damage (or nesting birds :mrgreen:).

Exactly! Great to see your skeleton! You're gonna be surprised how fast everything will come together. As if the plane builds itself!

(On a side note, it was raining heavily at my place today, so there is a good chance that the clouds are coming to Amsterdam tonight. So you'll have the perfect conditions to continue your build! :mrgreen: :thumb: :rolleyes: )
  20. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

What do you call the female variant of a cockpit, I wonder ........??:p

The cockpit is done. I am going to wait until a little later before I fit the control column and the throttle, just in case I knock them off.....

013.jpg 017.jpg

018.jpg 019.jpg

023.jpg 026.jpg

More soon!