The Uhu02 appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ThunderChild, May 8, 2010.

1. Epsilon 9

Epsilon 9 New Member

They look mind boggling at first, being what like 25 sheets long, but in the long run, it's all reasonably easy.

Makes me really want them now :c
  2. davelant

davelant Member

To my mind, the keenest form of longing is for that which you can no longer have. From hints on his pages, I suspect that Uhu02 is fluent in German, for I found an epigraph on his pages from the philosopher Hegel, "Die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Daemmerung ihren Flug." Literally, Minerva's (the goddess of wisdom) owl first takes wing at twilight," expressing an idea about wisdom that comes too late to do any good. This thought seems appropriate now.
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This is a little closer, though the meaning is the same:

"The owl of Minerva begins its flight with the shades of twilight".

I have no doubt UHU speaks many languages. Many people in the world do. :)

The Early bird gets the worm, fits too. :) (though not quite as eloquent) of course, I always liked, The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction, which also seems appropriate.
  4. uhu02

uhu02 Active Member
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  5. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Thank you UHU02 with respect and admiration Gixergs
  6. sgoti

sgoti Member

I cannot think of any better way to say it!
  7. papercraftrookie

papercraftrookie New Member

As a newbie to papercraft, I too have to give praise to the master UHU. We honest members who were given the privilege of access to his library will always be grateful.
    It only takes one dishonest, greedy jerk (if this was the case) to spoil it for all. That's a shame but I'm sure everyone here understands and agrees with the shut down of his site.
    I'm working on the beautiful Time Machine and then hope to start the amazing 2001 models next. Again sir, thank you for your hard work.
  8. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

Looking at his website, I see where he says his site has moved

The moonbus instructions are at the old site but the new location is not specified.
  9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Thank you kindly UHU02!
  10. apaperworker

apaperworker New Member

Thank you so much UHU02

Your ability and generosity is an inspiration.

11. davelant

davelant Member

Blue on blue is my favorite color.
  12. Mine too. :thumb:
  13. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

I'd have to agree with that.
  14. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

I have to say that it's not merely that Uhu02 creates stunning models.

I've learned a lot about designing my own models by understanding how he creates his.

It's more than just creating a couple of pieces of paper and a glue tab - the hard part is understanding where to place the breaks to make the angles look more like curves.

He makes compound curves look easy.

Some day I'll figure out where to find his new site. I can't decipher the legend at his old one - don't know what 'whoof' is in English characters.

15. web2

web2 Guest

I hope to learn this also. HIS is some of the best there is. Thank you UHU 02.
  16. allhallowseve

allhallowseve Member

Thank you Uhu02 for all your hard work an time put in to these model's, And it very much appreciated !!
  17. SJPONeill

SJPONeill New Member

Can only agree with these comments - not only are Uhu02's model really setting the standard for paper models but they also offer great insights into the art of paper model design...
  18. davelant

davelant Member

And I would like to thank him for his expressive brevity. I would really, really, like to highlight his last post in this thread. To quote Lewis Carroll:

"Other maps are such shapes, with their islands and capes!
    But we've got our brave Captain to thank:
    (So the crew would protest) "that he's bought us the best--
    A perfect and absolute blank!"
  19. Erik J

Erik J Member

Never been to a uhu02 website, wherever that is, so I assume it is no more, and some people have some of his models. Is that what is going on?
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

announce1That's really good, but we'll have no more or that!!:thumb: