The Uhu02 appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ThunderChild, May 8, 2010.

1. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

I believe UHU02 has pulled his site because of pirating issues,without getting involved with the whys and wherefores it seems that something has occurred to make UHU02 feel that his trust and talent has been abused.I have just become aware of one incident that happened and honestly believe that a misunderstanding has happened in this particular case BUT ultimately it is UHU02 that has to decide on the use of his models and what he decides is therefore law.I hope as a big admirer of UHU02's art that a solution is forthcoming and his incredible works are available again however should this not be the case then I would like to say thank you UHU02 for the fabulous works in the past and hope you will at least pop in here from time to time to show us more creations,enjoy your fishing with respect and admiration
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I look forward to when we reunite with UHU!! Sometimes, the bush needs to be trimmed to help it grow fuller, as is done with Bonsai Trees. Much trimming, and a work of living art! We UHU admirers are this living tree, sometimes, bad pieces are trimmed for the benefit of the tree. That's how I see it anyways. In my humble opinion.
  3. Darned shame. UHU, in my mind, is the greatest card model designer we've got right now. I would love to chat with him about his pirating issues. I believe it's because a jerk or two have posted his models for sale on eBay. I think if he tried a different approach he might be able to hedge that better. I like the way Paper Replika handles model downloads. He passwords the PDF with the site name-- as well as making downloaders check an agreement form. The truth is, of course, that there is no perfect way to foil piracy on the web. The best approach, I think, is to not worry so much about the occasional grinch and concentrate on what Gary Vaynerchuk calls "the thank you economy". The theory is that if you put out good work on the web, the majority of your following will support your efforts. You can't have a perfect system, though. The basic concepts of quantum physics kind of apply to the Web as well, I think.

4. oriod01

oriod01 Member

I think this board as well as all the others should consider posting a sticky (the first sticky) in every Category regarding piracy and respecting designers (as if it really needs to be explained). Furthermore, each and every new member should have to read and agree to respect designer's rights and their creations, whether they be members here, offer their creations here, or not. No more being able to claim, "I'm new to the hobby/forum and I didn't know."
  5. eatonad

eatonad New Member

UHU one of the truely great designers

I likewize am saddend that UHU has pulled his site. I have read the many comments concerning piracy. In a way this itself is a tribute to the greatness of his work. If it wasn't that good they would not steel it. This is still no excuse. UHU I love your work and concider it among the very best ever produced. Your models are popular because not only are they exceptional designs but you also seam to know what everyone would like to build.
  6. oriod01

oriod01 Member

Dear UHU,

Although we are all deeply saddened by the fact that we may never be able to build another of your incredible models... We all understand, respect, and support your decision.

Hopefully you may eventually consider opening your site back up to at least show us what you are doing, even if you can't share your work anymore. It is truly a joy and privilege to just see the magic of your creations and a very generous gift beyond measure to be able to actually build one.

It has been such a joy to watch you work. Thank you so much for the priceless gifts you have given us over the years. You are a god in this realm.

We love you man!
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am not sure. This will be a problem for a while. I sugest if you study the models pictures and search the forum for previous builds, may Google it too, you will find some help till this gets cleared up. I have great hope that UHU02 will revive his website, and I personally will continue to adhere to any and all of his desires concerning his models. The persons who have equivocated and feel justified in their actions are not helping the situation but they are not here, and any posts supporting this blatant disregard for UHU will be dealt with accordingly. Do a good Google search, try searching under images, and you may be able to discern the proper assembly. Posting pictures in a build thread will also allow others to give you some suggestions.
  8. Fiver

Fiver New Member

This is devastating.

There was nothing I looked forward to more than what the master was creating next...that he would share them freely with us was a true gift in and of itself. The loss of his site and works is a blow to the entire hobby and genre. Like all of the rest of us who truly appreciate his work, I stand by his decision and am grateful beyond measure for what he has given us. To say that he will be missed is more than an understatement.

So passes and era. I am so grateful I was part of it.
  9. okieman

okieman New Member

Thanks UHU02 for the great models.
  10. Epsilon 9

Epsilon 9 New Member

And I cleared out my download folder with the models I had downloaded from him :c

Ah well.
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Last time UHU's very minimal requests were not respected, he came back with a new way of getting his models. Let's have a little faith, and when you download a model ANYWHERE, download the instructions, and if you need to archive the models, for any reason, burn them to a disc. Simple standard computer information management, right?!?:yep:
  12. Chrispysurfer

Chrispysurfer Member

UHU's work is so lovely and detailed that I haven't yet felt up to the task of building one. My goal though is when done with my masters, I will try and tackle the black pearl. Here's to UHU and all the joy he has given us modelers!! Love seeing everyone builds of his work!
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

UHU has left enough models out there to last quite some time. That's for sure. A whole bunch of quality models. Kind of reminds me of the "Got Milk?" commercials. I got mine!! :)
  14. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

I hope you made copies of the website pages with all the build information and pictures.

These things don't come with instructions - the instructions were part of what came down.
  15. Joy Cohn

Joy Cohn New Member

Ok, newbie goof - started reading the thread from the end.

Still, I wish I'd copied all the pages with instructions. I'd gotten lazy.

And I was going to do the Moon Bus in the near future.
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

You are in good company. A lot of people put it off. I always download instructions with a model. UHU's were easy to download and there are many free programs like "DownloadHelper" that will download all the pictures. For websites that use Flash, you just right click "View Background Image' then save the picture.

This is something that a few of us have discussed before. I just don't believe in the permanency of the information on the Internet. I think it is a very fluid environment. if you see something you want it, get it. It's like a lot of nice things floating downstream. If you could see the internet in that manner, you could look upstream and see when things were not longer floating by, and look downstream, and see the float away. You have to grab stuff when it's available.
  17. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

Oh so true about getting while the gettin' is good. I too, did not download a number of build pages or models (both Uhu's and others) and now regret it. One thing I did grab was the *Carousel* for the Discovery. Thought about building it as a stand alone. To go along with Zathros, if you see something you might remotely might want to build, download it NOW!!!!!

Uhu, THANKS for what you allowed us to have!!!!
  18. Epsilon 9

Epsilon 9 New Member

I still cannot get over the detail and realism in those models.
  19. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I get a kick of ow he just make the models so right looking. His models require perseverance, but they are quite buildable. Many do build them, and the results are spectacular. Also, the subject matter is another thing. These are some of my favorite movies. It's amazing!