"The Tumbler? Oh, you wouldn't be interested in that."

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hi guys,

I've been getting more and more Batman nutz again lately.

One of the Batman model out there is the Tumbler model by Claudio Dias. I've wanted to build this since I first saw he was working on one. Except there was a problem, the model scared the c#*p out of me. It looks so detailed and fiddly! This wasn't a bad thing as far as the model goes. Clauido's finished build lookes as good as the actual car. I just wasn't sure I'd be able to do it justice.

Lately I watched Batman Begins again and decided enough was enough, I had to have a go. I'd like to scale mine up to be 1/10 but as I wasn't sure if I was up to building this well, I've started the 1/20 version first as a test run.

I'm going for the black version first. The problem was I had no coloured ink left and didn't want to wait to start. So I printed mine using black ink only. Later I added the colour(what there is of it) using marker pens and pencils. Also, I had no Projector sheets so the Windows aren't going to be clear as they should be. I printed these onto normal card and blacked them out using pens.

I know this isn't ideal but this is a test build for me to get some confidence up to tackle a bigger version. Sorry Claudio, I will do better next time. ;)

So far I've built the cockpit shell and am about to add the roof parts. I have to say, so far this model is no where near as tricky as I feared. It's well designed and planned out. I'm enjoying this very much.

Onto the pics:

I love how it's taking shape. I think when I get to do my bigger one, I'll get it printed professionally at 200%, and try to modify the front and roof so that I could add an interior. At 1/20 it's a nice size but at 1/10 it'll be a monster!
  2. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

I saw that a while ago but like you thought it would be way to tricky! I might have a go if yours turns out okay!
  3. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

You're doing a nice job! Keep posting pics.
  4. Master-Bruce

Thanks guys. :) It looks better in person, the camera flash highights all those little areas where glue got where it shouldn't have. Picks out all the fold lines too despite the fact I blacked them out, makes the printed black look grey. :(

afcgooners, it really is Ok. I know I haven't got to the really small parts yet. Saying that, Claudio even simplified those for us. The little hydrolic arms for the flaps and things. They are flat double sided parts, not small, rolled cylinders that we have to fight with.

When I do a bigger build, I intend to do that though, roll out the cylinders for these parts.

I'm working on it now so I'll have more later.

Thanks again fellas.
  5. Master-Bruce

I forgot to post these lastnight. Got more done, I'm up to something like step 24. OF 114!! We're getting there. ;)

Still no problems, there's a part for the roof that's a little fiddly for me to build with my chubby digits but it's all good. Starting to look like a Tumbler now.

6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Go Skip, lead the way, take point, make the mistakes for me to learn from :D

After the Interceptor I'll be doing this in double size, as you already know. I got a quote from my local printshop the other day and it's going to cost me $12AU for all 8 pages to be printed on 300gsm gloss card... that's probably what it would have cost me in black ink to print it myself on A4, and I didn't feel like re-organising the parts sheets to print out 200% on A4.

I'll be following this with great interest, while quietly hoping your build inspires you to throw together a beta cockpit in 1:10 in time for my build. (Have I mastered the art of the subtle hint yet? :p).

I'm most likely going to stray away from paper when it comes to adding details and all those hydraulic rams, I'd also like to make them moveable :D

Good luck with the build, you're doing a great job so far, can't wait to see more.
  7. Master-Bruce

Sounds good buddy. I'd like to do something with the cockpit. Not right now though, I have way too much on my very big plate! LOL

Plus we'd need to see how the mechanics of the opening of the rook and forward windshield works to adapt the model for it.

Getting them(models) printed professionally seems the way forward if you ask me. Too many times have a stopped a build because my printer didn't do a good enough job. Plus it makes scaling up easier.

BTW, you need to work on that sublte hint skill of yours. ;) LOL
  8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Looks good skip.
  9. Master-Bruce

Sorry for the delay Paul. I meant to reply with an update but got distracted as I often do.

Thanks for the compliment buddy. ;)

I actually have an update now. I finished with the engine block and turbine. I left a part out, it's the netting that goes onto part of the engines framework. This was meant to be printed onto clear projector sheet but I didn't have any. I was planning on creating the net by using a needle and thread but this model I think is a bit small for that so I'll remember this for the big one.

The turbine block isn't perfect, I got a little sloppy I think and it didn't go together quite right at the tip where the exhaust is. Again, I hope to have better luck with the big one.

Saying that though,I am happy with how it looks considering I thought this would be a dissaster! LOL.

I've also finished the two intakes that sit just fore of the rear wheels. These went together really well. Claudio out did himself with this model I think. It's amazing!

Now onto the engines various gauges,before we start adding the panels and fins. I've been looking forward to that part!:twisted:

Here are the pics.

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Batman´s "Tumbler" Batmobile

Hey Skip,

You´re doing an excellent job of this complicated build. It looks so good.
    Btw, have you seen this - The Tumbler PC: http://casemodgod.com/batmobile_tumbler_pc.htm

I thought I saw them all . . .
    /Bengt :eek:
  11. That guy has WAY to much time on his hands!!!!:cry:
  12. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Coming together nicely there Skip. I think I'd have given up by now if I attempted it in this scale, although you have the benefit of experience when you move onto your big one. :D

I'm starting to lean towards doing the camo version for my 1:10 tumbler, but I'm also tempted to just print it out now in greyscale on A4 and paint the parts black by hand later... I think the end result would be cleaner than what I'll do to it during the build with glue spills etc. :p

Looking forward to seeing how you go with those wheels :thumb:
  13. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Oh the wheels... There are SIX of them!hamr
  14. Master-Bruce

Yeah, I know! To be honest though I don't mind the wheels. It was the rear end that I wasn't looking forward to. The engine and surrounding area. From here on out I'm looking forard to it all.

These plates and fins will bring this badboy to life!
  15. smyfe

smyfe Member

Skip, great job on the Tumbler, can't wait to see the end result :thumb::mrgreen:
    One question for you though, do you ever sleep???sign1
  16. Master-Bruce

Sometimes. :)

I'm due to hibernate soon. LOL

Thanks for the compliments buddy, I'll have another update soon.
  17. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

:whip1::whip1::whip1::whip1::whip1: geter done!
  18. Master-Bruce

I've been working on it tonight. Can't sleep!

There are these side fins that have a sort of grill on it. Lots of repetetive little bits! Not fun but it's lookin good because of them.
  19. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

If you're going to hassle me in my build thread for updates, I'm going to hassle you in yours... :D

How's it coming along? I printed my white version today, just got to get it copied onto A3 at 200% and i'm ready to join you. :thumb:
  20. Master-Bruce

Fairplay. I've actually got an update but no pics for ya. I'll get some done later on. It's been a busy weekend, family visiting before Christmas, a friend in need and then trying to creep closer to the finishing line with Sulaco. Oh, and the Lazy Town Airship that few seem interested in. :)

I've got to the point now with the Tumbler where I'm starting to add all the little fins and flaps that give it it's edge. I've done one side but not the other. I'll get some done today and update tonight, possibly tomorrow.

Don't worry, I'm still on it. :) :)