THE TRUTH ABOUT ELECTRIC MOTORS

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by timrock, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timrock

timrock Active Member

as most people know,the fewer Turns the more power.the biggest misconception is the Windings.more winds also means more power but more rotating mass on the armature producing more rpms but not as much torque.more torque is used to spin the heavier armature.

Winds are the amount of wires that are wound around the armature.
    Turns are the # of times the wire is wound around the armature.

an armature is an electric magnet when voltage is applied to it.Brushless motors have earth magnets on the shaft instead and have the electric magnets on the can.
  2. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

so the magnets are on the opposite part than on the other one.
  3. Ya, the amount of winds changes the acceleration curve. More winds equals more power at mid-top end speeds. Less winds equals more acceleration and power in low-end speeds. This is pretty basic and makes sense when you think about it because the more winds a motor has, the more wires it has and the harder it is to be put into motion. But as this rotating mass starts spinning fast, momentum keeps it going and spins it faster and faster yielding not to good acceleration but good top end speed. Low winds is just the opposite, because of the low number of wires, it is very easy to set into motion so acceleration is good but it does not have the momentum that the higher wind motors do so it lacks the top end speed.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

it is Not momentum that makes a motor with more winds more powerful.it is the fact that it can carry more amps through the wire.you are right about the other stuff.
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

ok now i understand
  6. Oh, oops, thanks for the clarification tim.
  7. monsterrcbuilder04

good thing you cleared that up because it made sense to me and i would have believed it. its an honest mistake trashcanoccupant
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

thats cool.now you guys understand about DC electric motors
  9. monsterrcbuilder04

10. redheat

redheat Member

Question I have a 8t motor and the armature wire busted I also have a 11t armature that is new now is the motor going to work if I put the 11t arm. in the 8t can using the end bell from the 8t?
  11. Are you going to use the same can too?
  12. redheat

redheat Member

I would like to use the can and the end bell from the 8. Put the 11 arm in it .... Possible?
  13. I don't see a problem with it, LMK how it turns out.
  14. redheat

redheat Member

Ill give it a shot this weekend.
  15. monsterrcbuilder04

the only difference between the 2 is the armature and winds i think.should work fine
  16. redheat

redheat Member

Need to get some more shims , has a little play in it.
  17. monsterrcbuilder04

kool, cant wait to see how it turns out.
  18. redheat

redheat Member

Well it worked for a while or I should say until smoke came bellowing from under the TC3, the armature from the 11x2 was messed up broken wire . Anyway looks like I'm gonna spend a few bucks on a new 8t armature.
  19. monsterrcbuilder04

wow thats not good.did it hurt the car at all? that sounds like a good idea
  20. redheat

redheat Member

That TC3 is bullet proof, just decided to drop a 10t Reedy touring motor in it's place for the time being.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.