The Tiny Challenge

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Texman, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Texman

Texman Guest

Lets define tiny...

2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Smaller than a quarter? :wink:
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Come On Ray.............. he said Tiny constitutes a 50% or greater reduction of the original scale the model was released in..............very few of us HAM FISTED guys can go much lower than that:grin:

For me that works up to 1/96 scale because most of my builds are at 1/48.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Now John, 1/96 is small. But, you can do better.. |>)
  5. Alcides

Alcides Member

No No No

1/48 is small. Maybe I can do something in 1/72 :wink:

I've big hands :twisted:

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Now Ray.......... 1/96 gives fuselage length of 5.5 inches on Rob's Hunter.........

I know you get 9 sheets of 1/144 on an 8.5 x 11, but three on a sheet is good enought for me................

NOW WHEN I get some under my belt at this scale I MIGHT attempt that eye straining, tweezer needing scale you do:grin: .........again, but I'm comfortable with 1/96 for right now.........

Do you use those printers that accept paper no bigger than 4 x 6?:grin:

7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

AHEM...Actually...I may go for 1:200 or smaller heh heh heh!

Put a full page on a business card and I might be impressed!
    Yep thats right, 12 full pages of parts on one sheet.

By the way...big hands are no hands are HUGE and I'm going to do it.
    My opinion about this is we are only limited by our minds. Or eyesight...and before you complain about this, I wear glasses and have astigmatism.

This thread will be tailored to the serious cardmodeler.

You don't feel you can do this, then never plan to buy from a manufacturer like Modelik for instance.
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Squinticus Maximus,

Why 1:96?

9. I'd like to toss a couple cents worth of nonsense on the pile as I'm interested in trying this challenge. I too think that quarter-sized models are a bit too small for my tastes. At the same time, "50% of original scale" doesn't generate a very small model if you start with a 1/32 scale F-15 :)

For airplanes, it would be better to define it in terms of span (eg - < 3" or whatever). For a more general 'any model' definition, maybe something like 'longest dimension 3" or less' or something like that I say 3" but I'd prefer 4" :)

Cheers --- Larry
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Gil............ 1/96..........I don't know........

I rescaled Rob's Hunter(1/48 original) to 1/144 and tried to replicate Ray's master piece................ and boogered it up right nicely.

SO..... I rescaled it to 1/72, cause that's what I used to do in plastic:oops: , and it did right nicely.............I was think that I could go smaller and thought.........."shoot, why not half it"............. so I printed it at 50% and that worked out to 1/96........

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:grin:
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Larry........... if someone scales a 1/33 to half that's about 1/65ish scale and to do a 1/65 scale with all the detail that 1/33 kits offers would be a challange. I would LOVE to see someone do Emil's F-15 at this scale:grin:

I like the idea of scaling the model to 50% or greater, working at half scale than normal is a challange..........BUT it's TWE's thread, I bow to his wishes! quite........1/144 is just amazing!
  12. thewoodengraver

WOW, I'm Impressed!!! I was only joking and nobody flinched?

The truth is, I may do the scale I mentioned but I will not ask this of anyone.
    My idea really, is to try to get us all to hone our cardmodeling skills.

I was thinking we could all pic a rescale size of the actual printed parts
    like 50% etc. as a guideline. The actual scale of the model does not matter, only that I think there should be only one parts page .
    Pick any model you have built already, scale down to 50% and build. If you think you can go smaller, then do so. This is the method I use to build my tinies.

Maybe we could vote on a which models to scale down? (freebies of course).

Maybe as motivation, we can vote on the tiniest tiny and get ashrunner to agree to post the winner for pic of the week?
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

hmmmm, so ALL the parts have to be on one page for this. I think mine was on two that I was considering. If I cut the size in half it would all print on one page does that count? Might be overdoing it a bit for my skill level though....

Question for ya - when you do your tiny models what weight paper do you use?
  14. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

my definition of small: any multipage model that you print all pages on a single sheet of paper, or any model that you can hold in the palm of your hand.

here's my entry:

enlarged photograph (162k):

here is a 9 page model build at its regular scale, but if you look at the lower left youll see I also build it printing all 9 sheets fitting on a single sheet of paper.

EDIT: That makes the small build 33% of the intended size.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

OK, I made my choice. Nobi's Hawker Seafury originally 1/48 scale three pages shrunk down to fit on one page by adobe (I did rotate them so they would be a bit bigger) No idea what the final scale is really but its pretty small I think :)
    original sheet size 8.5x11 in or so
    new sheet size just under 3x3.75 inches each

How long do you plan on running this? I dont want to put off my dragon build but I will if this is gonna be fairly short term. :D
  16. thewoodengraver

It's ON!

That's BEAUTIFUL!!!...
    Well folks, there it is. Our first entry! It is ON!

I think to qualify for posting, the model must be scaled down to 75% or smaller and you must specify the percentage of origional, and you must show either the origional size model or a ruler or something globally recognized next to your tiny. There will be no limit to the amount of parts pages. But as jleslie48 said," any multi page model that you print all pages on a single sheet of paper/cardstock, or any model that you can hold in the palm of your hand". This thread will remain open as long as you all say.

I hope, that each entrant will attempt his/her model as small as he/she thinks will be possible. CHALLENGE YOURSELVES!!! The outcome can only be good!

Thanks Texman for getting the ball rolling!

cgutzmer, I don't know about anybody else but I use 110# cardstock for everything. I'm sure this may be unusual.

17. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Now this is a challenge!
    So 1:96 is 75% of 1:72 and 1:144 is 50% of 1:72 and 1:285 is 25% of 1:72?
    I think I might stick with 1:96 . . .
  18. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

After I posted the previous, I noticed my Avatar which is a 1:100 version of PaperTigerArmaments T34. So here is a fresh photo of it with my original 1:72 scale green T34.
    Seeing I can obviously do 75%, I might try for 50% now!!

Attached Files:

19. Texman

Texman Guest

I could be wrong, but I think something is wrong with your math. Or, just the wording, but I think if you reduce 1/72 by 25%, then you get 1/96. So, 1/285would be 75% of 1/72. And the 50% reduction for 1/144 is spot on.

20. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Your right!
    My thinking was that "scaled down to 75%" meant a model 75% of the original size, not reduced by 75%.
    Example 1: a 8" model 75% of original size would become a 6" model (1:96)
    Example 2: a 8" model reduced by 75% would become a 2 inch model (1:285)

So that means I need to make a PTA tank at 1:285!!! . . . I'll try!! :)